School teams..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

So my school has a gymnastics team that meets Mon.-Fri. for about either an hour and a half to two hours. I plan on trying out and I would be in heaven if I made it on. Theres only one problem .. they only take 20 kids. Last year about 8 girls were cut. From what I heard it was only because they were cheerleaders and they were only good at floor not bars beam and vault. Some of them also just recently started and were not as skilled as the other girls. The problem is that this year there are going to be about 35-40(maybe) girls who are trying out. About 15 maybe more are on team and compete level 5,6,7 or USAIGC bronze or silver. I would need a bunch of skills to catch up to these girls. So my main question is how to impress a coach at tryouts and make myself stand out? Any general try out tips or advice? Whats it like to be on a school team? Is there any way to get good and fast? I going to take a couple of privates here and there at a different gym (stuggling with a coach from Russia, he gets frustrated easily and I have trouble understaning him)and see how it goes. I just really want this opportunity!!

Gymnastics with school is such a great experience, I've been highschool gymnastics for a year, and I love it. The only advice I can give you is try to get unique skills. Just be creative with what you do! Personally, I think it's lucky your school has so many girls tryout, my school hardly has the minimum number to compete!

Just stay tight, and try your best! Sorry I can't be of more help... :p

I'd say, work on you conditioning. As a coach it's great to work with people who have the physical abilities to grasp skills quickly and are willing to do the boring parts, too.

Show them that you're strong, that you have good flexibility.

Also, I'd show them that you're really into it - like, you know exactly what you'd need to catch up and what you've done so far to make progress. Just show them that you have that extra spark and motivation that'll make you a great teammate to motivate everyone else.

Thanks this is the exact help I am looking for!!! I know I am not the best gymnast in the world nor do I ever intend to be but I certainly intend to try my best. I get scared for tryouts and of course I get nervous a LOT!! It would be luck if they took me but its always worth a try. Odds are unlikely and I almost have no chance. Of course that only makes me want to try even harder! The school I go to has a very competitive gymnastics team and they take it serious. I do work strength and flexibility a lot because I excel at those things. This is kind of an off topic question but when a coach gives you advice what do you say back to them? Its kind of a stupid question but I don't know how to reply! I say ok or just nod my head but I want to be able to show the coaches that I really do understand and I will try to take their advice. Silly but I am curious. :)

I had a gymnast who struggled to focus/pay attention to instructions and corrections. I had her repeat whatever corrections back to me in her own words. This way I knew she had listened and more importantly understood the correction.

I mostly nod. Or find an excuse as to why it was wrong;) (not in a serious manner... wouldn't do that with new coaches, but with the ones I've known for a while we joke about those things all the time). The thing is though, most of the time I already know what I did wrong, because it tends to be the same most of the. So if it's just like a reminder of things I already now, a nod will do. If it's something more I'll rephrase it to check if I understood it correctly or ask some more about the technique, just to get the whole context.

But seriously, you shouldn't worry about that. You'll spend lots of time in the gym if it works out, so just be yourself. Everything else will be pretty exhausting over time...

What year are you in school? If you don't make it this year you might be just that much more ready for it next year. You'll probably have a much better idea of what the coaches are looking for and who gets on team and who gets cut if you try out this year, and then you can be more ready for next year if you don't make it this year.

But of course, try your hardest and don't assume this year is a lost cause. Most coaches want people who are hard workers and not quitters, people who listen, people who are good team players and can work with everyone else on the team, and someone with a lot of potential. So just try your hardest, be yourself, and you'll do fine i'm sure. Taking a private or two to perfect some skills you already have but could use a little work might help. But if the tryouts are coming up real soon, I'd probably concentrate on skills you have and not try to get a ton of new skills. Also, if you are good at conditioning stuff, that helps, because on school teams they don't concentrate on conditioning as much as USAG. There just isn't enough time because school teams aren't practicing 25 hours a week!

HS gym is a lot of fun, and its a lot more laid back than USAG. I never did HS gym but i'm friends with most of the girls on my school's team, and they enjoy it. They say its less pressure and the whole school spirit thing adds some fun to it.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back