WAG Score Recording?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amusibus

Proud Parent
I am new to the world of competing and meets, but just wanted to ask - am I the only one who is creeped out by all these parents at meets who are recording scores for not only their child, but every child on their team in all events?? Even at these low level 1-3 meets we go to. What is up with that?? It creeps me out.

LOL! We all do it on our team. I think it is more of a way to stay busy...and focused. The few times I have not kept score, I have missed my kid competing! LOL! I do nothing with the scores, but it just keeps me busy :) Of course, good book does too, but as bad as I am, if I am goign to read, I should just stay home! LOL!

What is creepy is the parents from other teams that keep track of 6-7 boys that they think "could" place higher than their son so they know what everyone has done. That is creepy :)

My ds and dd teams are fairly small. All of us parents record all our kids scores. We like to figure out the team score. And congratulate the kids on what went right for them. Their groups and parents are pretty tight, like family. So, no, I don't think it's weird. I think writing down every kids scores in your child's age division is pretty weird, though. Or at least slightly obsessive.

My ds and dd teams are fairly small. All of us parents record all our kids scores. We like to figure out the team score. And congratulate the kids on what went right for them. Their groups and parents are pretty tight, like family. So, no, I don't think it's weird. I think writing down every kids scores in your child's age division is pretty weird, though. Or at least slightly obsessive.

Yes, this is our team too -- it's very common for one parent to say to a child other than her/his own, "wow, you have made a ton of progress on X event!" Both girls and boys. DS's team this year has been all about the team award, so several parents have an app that will calculate team scores as you're going through the meet. Lately DS's first question when he comes off the floor is "what's our team score?" so someone has to have an answer for him, LOL!

There are a few gymnasts I've gotten to recognize on other teams that I'll try to catch if our team isn't competing at the moment, but more just to watch the routines because I know the child is fantastic, and I really enjoy seeing a fantastic routine. I don't record the scores, but I might remember to pay attention long enough to see what they are.

Wow. I find out my daughter's scores after the meet, when she brings me her little certificate. Guess I'm not as organized as I think I am.

I'm one that jots down the scores from her team for her level. It helps me be able to more accurately congratulate different kids after the meet. There's nothing my dd seemed to hate more than to have people come up to her after a bad meet and tell her what a great job she did. With the scores, even if a child had a bad meet but maybe did well on one event, I can more specifically compliment her (hey, GREAT job on bars today!) and just not mention the rest of the meet.

I have always recorded all of our level/team scores. I like to see how everyone is doing and how we are doing as a team. I only do our team though. Even if another level from our team is competing I only do my level.

Now what I find compulsive is the parents who keep track of every kid on every team for that level. I am not even sure how they do it!

The meets I go to pass out score sheet papers so you can keep track, all of the parents do it for the most part. Now tracking other teams? Creepy.

I always record at least our team score because I have an app that does all the bells and whistles and the parents always borrow it to check on their own gymmies.

Depending on the size of DD's age group and the set up of the meet, I occasionally try to record scores of all in her group but I rarely get them all. I of course watch our girls and talk with the parents and eat nachos and record DD's routines.

Why do I try? Because I hate suspense and surprises. Seriously hate them both. I live a very predictable life and I like that so I don't like being blind-sided or surprised for good or bad turnouts. The best meet I've ever attended had up to the minute online scoring/rankings. It was AWESOME!!!!! No surprises at awards and that's just the way I like it.

I am the team statistician, so I have my own print out where i keep track of all of our girls scores at all levels. I print an extra copy and my brother helps me (in case they divide the team or I miss a score). For OG's Sessions, we try to keep track of other Xcel Golds on other teams (but these are girls I know by name and I talk to their parents and coaches (we compete in a league and see the 10 same teams during the season at different meets and some of these girls began the same year as OG). If I get the other girls scores - great... if not, that's fine. Our team has the most Gold gymnasts, so once i find out how many are in the age group (or all), I can say "she will be in the top x" on this event just using our team scores... if I have the other teams Gold scores too, I can get even closer. I NEVER tell OG about the extra scores I know, so she is surprised. I do congratulate the other teams girls when they do well :)
Our whole league is one big family - 5 HCs stopped to chat with me (and see how I was doing... Sat, my HC was worried bout me since i was just released from the hospital Friday afternoon, lol) at the Championship meet yesterday.

I keep my kids team mates scores...for the level they are in - and so do generally all the parents. I don't check to see how the other girls/boys in the age group are doing, although in DD case there are kids we've competed against for 3 levels now - so I do notice if the name flashes on the board....

I fully admit to being rather retentive and needing to keep busy while watching - otherwise I either miss my kid, or get too nervous - I also genuinely care how their team-mates do at this point - and know their strengths, struggles, etc. We do only have 6 L7s, though and they have all been on the team since pre-school age...

I do not like it when I hear parents keeping track of the other "hot shots" in the age group and whether their kid beats them or not...I realize they all may be wonderful people - but it seems the wrong emphasis....

LOL! We all do it on our team. I think it is more of a way to stay busy...and focused.
A few of us do to. It does keep us busy, as we have a lot pf nervous energy. Partly too, we are rooting for all of them and want to keep track of how they are doing. I love seeing their scores improve over the season. Also, sometimes the child's parent misses a score and someone else has it for them. Sometimes it helps give perspective on how the judging is at the meet. For ex. at States my ds got a 10.55 on PB. That is low or him, but it was the highest for his age group. The judge was just a bit tough.
I don't keep track of the scores from other teams, though I do notice the very impressive routines and am duly impressed by the score. While I want my kids to do well, if someone else does better I am happy for them.
Another example, a mom from my son's team noticed her son's classmate was at the meet (different team). She knew he had not qualified to states yet. She followed his scores too, hoping to see if he qualified that day; which he did. She was cheering for him the whole time.

I am new to the world of competing and meets, but just wanted to ask - am I the only one who is creeped out by all these parents at meets who are recording scores for not only their child, but every child on their team in all events?? Even at these low level 1-3 meets we go to. What is up with that?? It creeps me out.
I think it is weird. The coaches get the scores after the meet and that is really the only people who need them. I don't like when parents are jotting down my dd's score. It really has nothing to do with them. Unless you are recording everyone's scores, tracking your child's teammates scores for team score won't really help you much in figuring out the standings. I especially find it strange at the lower compulsories.

Gymnastics scores for the most part are pretty public, so to each his own. There are a couple parents on our team who keep everyones scores. The first couple meets I just wrote my own daughters. The third meet, we had some parents that needed some help and I tried to keep everyone's that stressed me out and I still missed some. The last meet we had, I made a mental note of my daughter's but didn't write anything down. I can sort of see the fun in it from a purely statistical standpoint, my mind just likes organizing numbers, but as far as it being a way of tracking everyone, eh, whatever.

We watched a meet this weekend, and LOTS of parents from different teams were keeping track and writing down every kid in their child's level and/or age group. I just don't know how they can keep up!

raendrops, I just got out of the hospital a few days ago too, I had pneumonia. It kicked my butt. I am still struggling to breathe, and I normally hardly ever get sick at all! Sorry to sidetrack.

raendrops, I just got out of the hospital a few days ago too, I had pneumonia. It kicked my butt. I am still struggling to breathe, and I normally hardly ever get sick at all! Sorry to sidetrack.
Feel better. I had a stupid gall bladder issue. No surgery yet (just a scope), but they kept me for 3 days til my numbers started going back down. HC worries about me, but I told her no way I was missing Championships :) Got home Friday @ 5pm and was at the gym by 7:15 am Sat... got home Sat nite about 10pm... bk to gym at 8:15 am Sunday.

@sce said: "Another example, a mom from my son's team noticed her son's classmate was at the meet (different team). She knew he had not qualified to states yet. She followed his scores too, hoping to see if he qualified that day; which he did. She was cheering for him the whole time."
Our league is so tight knit that we cheer for girls from other teams... especially when the age groups are split and one team only has 1-2 gymnasts competing in a session or if it is girls we have come to know over the years. I even get occasional hugs from a couple girls on other teams and some parents from other teams seek me out. My team parents will come up to me and ask what their daughter's high score on an event was so far or something like that. I like being "in the know."

We have parents on our team who write down our entire team's scores. I think it's a bit odd, but whatever. I can barely catch my own DD's scores, never mind worrying about everyone else's! And I don't get the "I'm doing it to figure out the team score", etc., because you would have to know the other teams' scores too. And how the heck do people know who is in their child's age group to record those scores too?!

Awards are more exciting if they're a surprise. I don't expect anything, but when DD places on something, it's a bonus;).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back