Anon Scoring for xcel gold verses xcel silver

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wouldn't say it's scored more harshly, it's just that they are doing more in each level, so there are more deductions to be had. The exception to this is platinum beam - we think it might be slightly easier than gold in certain ways! Because if a platinum does a round off on beam, they don't have to do another acro at all, but a gold who does a round off would still need another skill. We do usually prime our new golds for this especially - they're not going to be getting 9.7s right away now that they have to do two beam acros, go to the high bar, and do more tumbling.

The one difference I can think of off the top of my head is that in silver and gold, a pause on bars is a 0.1 rhythm deduction that judges can use their discretion on taking, and in platinum and diamond it is 0.3 every time, so in that sense, yes, things are harder.

I think it tends to be more by area than level. Some areas have harsher scoring than others. Where we are at Xcel is scored more favorably that JO but it seems pretty consistent across levels. AS the person above mentioned the more skills you do the more opportunity for deduction. A Bronze bar routine may only have 4 skills where a Gold or Platinum would have more than that. The more skills you are doing the more opportunity for deductions to be taken so thats something to consider.

The more skills you do the more opportunitiy for deduction
Mainly this. My sister's team Bronze bar routines have 3 skills. Do it relatively clean and you get 9.5s. Whereas a gold has...7 skills? Not sure exactly. About double the opportunity for deduction.

Yes scores can vary meets/states/# of gymnasts, but that usually across-the-board in all levels.

The more skills you do the more opportunitiy for deduction
Mainly this. My sister's team Bronze bar routines have 3 skills. Do it relatively clean and you get 9.5s. Whereas a gold has...7 skills? Not sure exactly. About double the opportunity for deduction.

Yes scores can vary meets/states/# of gymnasts, but that usually across-the-board in all levels.

It has been a long time since dd was in xcel but back then, angles mattered for certain skills and the angle requirement increased as you went up the levels. A split jump at bronze required less angle than one at gold/platinum. Same for casts on bars. So in that sense, yes it is scored more loosely, but really only due to what the requirements are.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back