WAG Scoring in the new cycle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
The other post about whether meet attendance was down had me wondering about this so I thought I'd start a separate thread. For those of you who have already been to meets this year, what are you seeing as far as scoring? One poster mentioned that scores are lower this year. I was wondering if other people are seeing that as well? And, if so, is it across the board or is it just for the new compulsory routines? Are level 7 routines being scored harder now that it is the 2nd optional level instead of the 1st? What is scoring at level 6 like? It seems to me like that would be an "easy" level to do well at, but hey, I can't do any of those skills, so what do I know from easy? Is the scoring at "new 5" as hard as the scoring for "old 6" had the reputation of being? Are you seeing a lot of girls competing new 6? New 5? Do judges seem to be penalizing the level 8's who don't have a "C" skill in their routines? Anxious to hear any replies. DD is still 8 weeks out from her first meet (thank goodness)!

We've already been to 2 meets and in the "new level 4" the scoring seems to be harder than it was last year in the "old 5"! Our coach said that the scoring has been all over the board with no consistency yet. He said it should*hopefully* change by the end of the season & at state since it's a new system for the judges! I have twins both on the new 4, and they scored the same score (8.8) on bars but one was clearly better than the other since her casts were at horizontal and she had straight arms on her long hang kip and stuck the landing! It was definitely weird that they scored the same! Btw- our season is Sept.-Nov! :)

The first couple of meets, scores weren't too bad. I think maybe the judges were giving the girls the benefit of the doubt, since we start competing at the end of August, which is one of the earliest in the whole country. But the last couple of weeks, the scoring has been rough. Last week, my DD had a rough beam routine and scored a 7.7. She had never had a score in the 7's before. The girls who won beam were winning with scores around a 9.1, which is low for the #1 spot here. Then when they were on bars, my DD had a fall and scored an 8.2. For one of her teammates, bars is her weakest apparatus by far.....she excels in everything else. She did a pretty good bar routine for her, no major mistakes, and no fall, and scored a 7.6. However, two weeks ago, my DD got her highest score ever on bars and last week the same judge gave her her highest score ever on floor. We looooove her! LOL!

Don't know yet - our first meet is the weekend before Thanksgiving and it is an out of state meet. That might make it hard to determine what scores might be like at states, but we actually go to as many out of state meets as in state (same region) and the only odd scoring I see is the occasioanal meet (regardless of state) where ALL scores are ridiculously low or ridiculously high.

We are 3 meets into the season. Scores comparable to the past.....one meet where scores were on the highish side..... Another a bit low and one where the coaches said judges scored right where expected. We've sat through level 4 sessions.

Level 5 sessions scoring tough per those parents..... And handfuls of girls doing BHS on beam! Anyone else seeing the higher 'optional' skills in the compulsory routines - apparently no bonus for doing them. But great opportunity to do them for the kids who can!!

So far in new four, scores are pretty much where I expected them to be. Maybe some are slightly erratic, a little higher or lower than expected, but that can happen anyway. I have heard from the five parents that not many kids are competing the new five (at least at the meets we have been to.)

The other post about whether meet attendance was down had me wondering about this so I thought I'd start a separate thread. For those of you who have already been to meets this year, what are you seeing as far as scoring? One poster mentioned that scores are lower this year. I was wondering if other people are seeing that as well? And, if so, is it across the board or is it just for the new compulsory routines? Are level 7 routines being scored harder now that it is the 2nd optional level instead of the 1st? What is scoring at level 6 like? It seems to me like that would be an "easy" level to do well at, but hey, I can't do any of those skills, so what do I know from easy? Is the scoring at "new 5" as hard as the scoring for "old 6" had the reputation of being? Are you seeing a lot of girls competing new 6? New 5? Do judges seem to be penalizing the level 8's who don't have a "C" skill in their routines? Anxious to hear any replies. DD is still 8 weeks out from her first meet (thank goodness)!

Are there even any optional meets in the US yet? We are in compulsories now in our state, optionals start in Jan. From what I understand, some states start optionals in Nov. or so. Do others start optionals earlier??

Are there even any optional meets in the US yet? We are in compulsories now in our state, optionals start in Jan. From what I understand, some states start optionals in Nov. or so. Do others start optionals earlier??

Our first optional meet is early December.

First meet Nov 8th-10th. Levels 2-7. Its our Judges Cup meet. Plus we already have the schedule! Level 7 is at 5:30 Friday evening. I think this is the earliest I have ever seen a schedule come out!

Our meets start in Dec. for both optionals and compulsories. It should be interesting to see if the scoring as changed.

Our Optionals compete the same schedule as our Compulsories (November -March... plus Y Nationals is July)

Optionals here run mostly Jan-March, but there are some early meets in December. Nothing this early though!

Compulsory scores have been lower--from what I've seen. Lots of 6s/7s, very few 9s.

Level 2 has been very tough, very few 9's (DD placed 1st on beam with 9.0 and 2nd bars with 8.5!). Level 3 seems fairly low and inconsistent meet to meet. Level 5 pretty tough on bars, but OK on everything else. DD is scoring right where she did as old level 5 last spring - 36+ AA. The scores from meet to meet seem to vary depending on the judge, but we see that every year! My frustration with this sport! :confused:

We have not been to any meets yet, but we had a mock meet and the judging was harder for that then it's ever been. Also, our 7s are doing a lot of skills that in the past were considered level 8 skills, and 8s are doing, well, not level 9, but a lot more is expected of 8s than has been in the past. The word from the coaches is that it is because of the clinics they went to and they felt the consensus among other gyms in our area and judges that level 7 and 8 will be scored harder. I don't know what they really had to say about other levels because this is where it affects us.

All our level 8s are repeating level 8 this year because of the changes. The coaches feel the scoring will be harder and more will be expected, so they're all doing the level again. Will be interesting to see how it goes!

My dd only has a couple of meets left and the scoring is harder for some and high for those that have competed the same level 2x or 3x. My dd is a 1st year level 4 and she has been scoring kind of iffy but is still trying to get over bad habits from the old gym. I really don't get the reason why some gyms make their kids repeat until they get 37s or 38s. We are one of the few gyms that have a large number of 1st time level 4s and our team isn't doing as well as years past because of the high number of repeat level 4s.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back