Parents Scoring Presentaion/Attitude

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rmankini

Proud Parent
I've heard coaches speak of "presention" to get a better score. My confusion is they speak of things such as chin up, shoulders down, having a confident attitude. But I see nowhere, where this is part of deductions.

Soooo, how does this work? Are judges just more forgiving of other things if a gymnasts shows great presentation?
Thanks!

I don't know if there are deductions specifically for not having those things, however the chin up and shoulders down assist in your body correctly doing the skills, helps work strong lines and more stability. And your attitude helps your confidence and thereby assists in your overall performance being better than if you go out there seeming upset/angry/like you don't want to be there.

That's my take on it anyway.

Optional deductions listed under execution deductions:
Artistry/Presentation ↑.30
- Originality/creativity of choreography ↑.10
- Quality of movement reflects personal style ↑.10
- Quality of expression ↑.10
Not sure about Compulsory deductions

My kids are boys, and at MAG meets there seems to be a wide variety in how a kids present themselves. There is one area of competing I do kind of nag my kids about once in a while, and it is this one.

In my opinion whether it matters to scores or not, teaching a kid to look like they want to be there, are happy and excited, and think they are about to do something awesome is simply an important life skill. Watching a kid (or anyone) who shows confidence (not cockiness) but nice relaxed confidence in their posture and facial expression, and can also make a graceful exit even if they just blew it, is simply more pleasurable than watching the kid who looks terrified, sullen, over it, or disappointed.

I worked in the theater for years and imo the best actors know how to make an impactful entrance and a memorable exit. This is a skill that will help in other areas like interviewing, public speaking, etc.

Oh there is definitely a deduction for artistry and presentation of up to .3 in compulsories, and believe me that it does get taken. Girls who look bored, keep their head down, have no expression, or have lazy limbs all will get a that deduction.

Oh there is definitely a deduction for artistry and presentation of up to .3 in compulsories, and believe me that it does get taken. Girls who look bored, keep their head down, have no expression, or have lazy limbs all will get a that deduction.
Just a note to say they don't always get the whole .3 deduction, but it is "up to .3"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back