Parents Sectionals were fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymmomOR1127

DD had level 4 Sectionals on Saturday. She did really good. She came up short of qualifying for State, but she had a good meet.

She scored 9.075 on bars, 9.15 on beam, 9.05 on vault and 8.7 on floor.
Her AA score was 35.975 (5th place). They only took the 35 highest scores (regardless of age) to State, and the lowest of them being 36.275.

I thought she did a great job:)! Her floor has been a little confusing this year, because it was her best event last year (consistent 8.95 - 9.3) and it is her worst event this year, even though her tumbling and leap passes have improved greatly over last year.

But, on another note, beam was her worst event last year, and has became her best event this year, so go figure:rolleyes:!

I know dd had fun, and felt she did good at the meet, but I felt bad for her later when she found out that she did not make State. I could see her holding back the tears:(.

She is now done with her fall season. I am not sure if she will compete spring. I think they are moving her to level 5, but she still needs to get her kip and be a little more consistent on her cartwheel on beam, so she may pass on the spring season - which is okay by me:D!

Thanks for everyone's well wishes!

Those are such awesome scores! Sorry about her not making the state score, but now hopefully she will have L5 to look forward to. The positive is maybe she will just be able to get started on the L5 training since she won't need to continue perfecting routines for state :D

She did awesome. That really sucks that they have the states bar set so high. Is it to keep the meet small or does it still end up big? We had approx 350 gymnasts at L4 states here. They did it ALL in one day, too. It was ran really well, went smoothly and quickly. There were 90 girls in the session DD was in. I was impressed. 2 sets of equipment, girls warmed up on one set while another group was competing on another, then judges turned around at the table and watched the next group while another started warming up behind them.

I hope she realizes how awesome those scores were! Hope she has fun training for L5!

Wow those are some wonderful scores, so much to be proud of. Nice to be moving on to L5, I'll send the kip fairy down!

Our provincials works much like your States, the top 32 get to go, and that is out of about 270 girls. It is hard for the girls as they do not know what the magic qualifying number is, as there isn't one.

I think it stinks to only let 35 L4 girls move on to states. Yes, I know they may not want the meet to go all week, but there are so many kids that compete L4 and probably end up quite disappointed. Anyway, your dd did great. I'm sure she(and you) are sick of those L4 routines by now. Time to move onward and upward!!

Just my opinion, but if she doesn't have her kip yet, I would pass on the spring season and just let her train L5 and be all set to go for the fall and a nice strong L5 year. Do they do states the same way for L5 and 6 by only taking a certain number of girls on to states?

Those really are awesome scores. It really does seem harsh to have so few girls be able to qualify for states. With how well your dd did, she really should be able to go. Back to back seasons are always tough - I'm with you - I'd be ok waiting too. But of course now that you are ok with it they will probably have her compete in the spring - ya know - the whole murphy's law thing. Congrats to your dd on a great meet and tell her to keep up the good work :)

We'll take a 35.925AA anytime. Purdy darn good if you ask me. :) Heck, anytime Nastia gets a 9 point-anything, she's glowing like a brand new sylvania lightbulb. (which to me - makes it all worth while)

I think I remember our gym saying they'll take AA 34.0 and higher to states. I could be wrong though. Not entirely sure how this get's decided.

Those are great scores. I can't believe she's not going to states!!! What gives?? In our state, an AA score of 31.00 qualifies for states?? I can't believe it, she should be going. That really stinks:confused:

What great scores! I hope she is not disappointed with such an awesome effort. You have a weird state system, especially for level 4.

Thank you everyone, for being so kind and supportive:)!! I will have to give my daughter all of your feedback. You know how it goes when you try to tell them how well they did, and they just look at you like "you're supposed to say that":rolleyes:! I am very proud of how well she has done! It is kind of sad that they have this meet for so few to qualify:(.

Last year was the first time there even was a State meet for level 4. They used to only have Sectionals. It is combined with the level 5/6 State meet, so maybe they don't want it to be more than they can handle - - who knows:rolleyes:. Our level 5 & 6 have to score 31.00 AA to go to Sectionals, and then they take the top 72 to State. Last year we didn't even have 72 level 6's, so they all got to go to State:cool:!

Be sure to tell her that if she lived in almost any of the other 49 states, she would have made it. Maybe you should not tell her that. It might make her feel worse. I am full of "good advise", don't you think?

She did GREAT and has much to be proud of. I hate that they/we feel they must measure up to a randomly assigned 'state' system, which varies all across the u.s. (& the world for that matter)! If she were here in FL or in NorCal where we used to be, she'd be at States without question, and would do great, too w/ sores like hers!

So to heck w/ that particular state system! She is a great L4, and will do great in L5 also. Tell her congrats! My dd never got past a 34 as a Level 4, & she ended up state champ in 2 events as a L5. You never know what will happen next!:D

Thank you everyone, for being so kind and supportive:)!! I will have to give my daughter all of your feedback. You know how it goes when you try to tell them how well they did, and they just look at you like "you're supposed to say that":rolleyes:! I am very proud of how well she has done! It is kind of sad that they have this meet for so few to qualify:(.

Last year was the first time there even was a State meet for level 4. They used to only have Sectionals. It is combined with the level 5/6 State meet, so maybe they don't want it to be more than they can handle - - who knows:rolleyes:. Our level 5 & 6 have to score 31.00 AA to go to Sectionals, and then they take the top 72 to State. Last year we didn't even have 72 level 6's, so they all got to go to State:cool:!

We're in the same state and my understanding is that it's not really a state meet for level 4s. Sectional is still considered the championship meet for level 4s. The inviting the top 32 of whatever is just like a special honor for the top level 4s. I'm not sure the level 4s at our gym even knew about it.

ZJ's Mom - It's nice to know there is someone out there from the Sunny Pacific Northwest (LOL, it's foggy here today):)!

I have never been to the "State" meet, but I have been told that it is not in a traditional meet form. You do not go as a team, representing your gym. They are combined with other gymnasts from other teams as a fun kind of meet. From my understanding, there are no medals or awards given, I think just some souvenir type items are given to everyone.

I am sure it is different than the level 5/6 or Optional State meets, but our girls still know about it, and still want to be one of the "special 35"! You know how that goes:rolleyes:!

It sounds like some of the other states just have a State meet and not Sectionals:confused:

We don't have sectionals here. Just State Meet. L4-L6 have to score 28.00AA at one sanctioned meet to qualify for States. L4s have their own State Meet, L5/L6 is combined at same met. We also have a Spring Championships, but it really is just the last meet of the Spring season for the compulsories.

Optionals have to score 31.00AA at a sanctioned meet to go to the Optional State Meet.

Interesting how it is different in all states. I know some gyms also have their own scores they must meet, even though they could go according to the rules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back