Anon Seeing other teams at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD moved Gyms for many reasons but one being her coach yelled and embarrassed her and after that incident (among other things) we decided to move.
As her meet scheduled is now available she is getting a bit anxious of seeing the old coach again.
What is the likely hood she would run into them? While you see other teams is the interaction minimal?

In my experience, the interaction with other team coaches is pretty nonexistent before and during competition. Coaches are busy and it's not like they have infinite time to warm their teams up. Everyone is in a rush.

Afterwards, other coaches could be easily avoided in the crush of the crowds running to their cars.

If your daughter is really worried about it, I'd have a frank conversation with the new coaches about what she's thinking.

Typically, there can be as much or as little interaction as you want. If it's an athlete that just moved too far from our gym, we always seek them out to say hi and cheer them on. Otherwise, we might just peek from afar.

as the time gets closer, your coaches should know who they are rotating with. That way if they are rotating together, then at least your dd can be prepared.

Closer to the meet dates, you’ll be able to see which teams are competing at that meet. We moved gyms and had one meet that overlapped with our old gym. Both gyms coaches are friends so they where chatting with each other while my daughter was standing with her coach. Her teammate skipped this meet just to avoid the coaches but my kid is very blasé and didn’t care. I think they ended up together on every event

Be prepared for anything. In the two competitions my daughter has had since changing gyms, she not only ran into her old team - her new team was literally rotating with them. Despite both competitions being large, multi session competitions, and one a travel competition.

She found it very disconcerting the first time. She left under friendly circumstances and there were no hard feelings, but it was just really weird for her. She is over it now though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News