Parents Self taught...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Olga

Proud Parent
This is a re-post from the gymnastics thread. I'm still getting used to knowing where to post:)
Hello everyone, I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to post. My dd (11) has been teaching herself gymnastics since she was 9. Surprisingly, she got a TON of new skills (round off bhs bhs, back walkover on "beam" etc. Since we're moving to Australia soon, I talked to a gym in the area and they'd put her in AUS L5. But that's 15hrs commitment per week. I guess I'm sort of worried because now she practices around 3-4 hrs. I'm wondering how she will also deal with the schoolwork as she'll be going to middle school. Any suggestions?

Is she in a gym now? How can she do all these "self taught" things on beam?
Self taught usually does not mean they know how to do the skills correctly....does the gym youcalled know she hasn't been coached?
There are many other things you need to figure out first prior to having her train 15 hours a week.

i agree - get her assessed and let the gym see where her skills are. bars skills need to be learned in the gym. i don't know how that level compares to US levels. but if it's like level 5 here, self-taught practicing here and there on her own at home wouldn't get her into level 5 here in the US. doing a BWO on a "beam" is different than doing a BWO on a regulation beam in the gym. the height can cause issues even if the gymnast can do it perfectly on a low beam (we are going through this with a beam series with my gymmie).

your kid could be a super star and could catch up right away once she's in a gym setting with real equipment and actual coaches. but her form could be really messy going into the gym and she may need to relearn all she's taught herself. but you need an assessment and coach's opinion .

Maybe you could take her to a gym here before the move for a team evaluation and see what they think- then you'll have a good idea of where team coaches think she belongs- and then if they offer her a spot you can decline. If you don't want to be duplicitous about it, maybe explain the situation to a local gym and offer to pay for the evaluation so you're not "stealing" anyone's time with no intention of following through?

Maybe you could take her to a gym here before the move for a team evaluation and see what they think- then you'll have a good idea of where team coaches think she belongs- and then if they offer her a spot you can decline. If you don't want to be duplicitous about it, maybe explain the situation to a local gym and offer to pay for the evaluation so you're not "stealing" anyone's time with no intention of following through?
Great idea!!!!

Thank you for all the suggestions! I don't really think her form is too bad... But then i am no coach

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this. How do I post one?
The way I do it is post the video to YouTube (unlisted so it doesn't come up in a search, but people that have the link can access it). Then do another post on here and click the icon that looks like negatives (beside the postcard looking one) …. and paste the You tube URL into the box.

Try typing it into your search bar without the spaces:

https:// m.youtube.com/ watch?v= P0yixoEnJb8

Quite a brave little booger to learn that on her own. It's so hard to say from so few examples, but she's got the most important qualities: eagerness, braveness and a love of it!

She's doing great to learn that on her own. It is apparent she will have some work to do on flexy feet and bent legs, technique, etc. but it's also apparent she's a natural! Like I said, she's obviously got the heart for it so I bet she will take off with proper coaching.

Thanks for sharing and please do keep us posted! Fun story!

As she prepares to move to a gym I think ti would help to work on conditioning to be ready. I recommend handstands, pull-ups, leg-lifts, v-ups, arch rocks, hollow rocks, Press-handstands, (or trying them if she can't yet do them.) Check out some youtube video for these and other gymnastics conditioning she can do at home or on a bar at the park. Also, have her working on her flexibility, pike stretch, straddle stretch, splits...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back