Parents Self taught...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She can do a press handstand from standing, but not from sitting. She does do conditioning: 40 v-ups, 20 leg lifts, 15 pull ups, 10 long hang pullovers etc. She has 2 splits down. I'm wondering how much she should condition because I see her doing it for fun all the time and wonder if her body needs rest.

My dd's team conditions hard an hour out of every practice. They also do run training (3 mikes at the track plus sprints and suicides) three times a week for endurance and stamina. The idea of having her do additional conditioning is a good one. That will also start preparing her for the longer practices once she is on a team.

Her skills are pretty good! I think her biggest challenge will be knowing what everyone is talking about. :) My friend's daughter is a natural, and when she joined class at age 6, she was brand new. They moved her to pre-team after 4 weeks. The would tell the girls to do a skill or a conditioning drill by the gymnastics name, and she didn't know that language. She'd watch the girl next to her and then do the same thing--only better.

She does need a little form clean up, but I was pleasantly surprised because I sort of was expecting to see more like a competition cheerleader who just throws a skill and it doesn't matter what it looks like. But she's actually not like that at all.

Her bhs is better than my dd, who has had a good 2.5 years of solid coaching [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. I agree with adding some conditioning. If you don't mind spending a little money, gymnasticsprogressions.com has a sort of short course format, which will help her get a good routine going. This one looks good to condition and clean up shapes a little. https://gymnasticsprogressions.mykajabi.com/store/vW5meDEj

For free info I suggest the Swing Big blog: http://swingbig.org/blog/

Tell her to concentrate on upper body, then core, then legs. Her flexibility is probably fine, from what you've said and what I see. Don't do too much flexibility, strengthening the range she has is most important to try out for a program (strength trumps flexibility in gymnastics, generally).

I'd also have her do some sprints for vault and endurance.

Good luck!! She sounds like a great kid!

Thank you for the websites, Carobc. They were very helpful. When I showed her the gymnastics progressions website, of course she had to want the most expensive one ( the one you linked). I definitely think she will benefit from it :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back