Coaches Send Tips Plz

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! So I have been on my gyms team for 5 years and am currently on gold xcel and recently the gym owner has asked me to take over a Recreation 3 class. Im over excited for it but since it is my first time coaching I was hoping for some possible tips to make it fun for the girls but make sure they still learn stuff... if you have any tips for me it would be overly appreciated. <3

Most important advice I can give you: coaching (especially at the rec level) is primarily theater. The first and most important thing you have to do is engage your audience; until you do that, everything else is irrelevant.

Be energetic! Be big, loud, and fun!

If you're boring, you could know everything there is to know about gymnastics and nobody will care. Conversely, if you're fun and energetic and exciting, your students (and therefore their parents, and therefore your employer) will love you no matter what your level of technical expertise.

Most important advice I can give you: coaching (especially at the rec level) is primarily theater. The first and most important thing you have to do is engage your audience; until you do that, everything else is irrelevant.

Be energetic! Be big, loud, and fun!

If you're boring, you could know everything there is to know about gymnastics and nobody will care. Conversely, if you're fun and energetic and exciting, your students (and therefore their parents, and therefore your employer) will love you no matter what your level of technical expertise.
thank you for the advice it makes lots of sense.

How old will the kids be? There's a big difference between coaching essentially toddlers and coaching tweens.

I would love to piggyback on this thread. I have also recently started coaching rec (boys) and could use some tips. I find coaching the younger group age 5-7 easier. They listen better, want to do well, and work hard. My older rec group of boys ages 8-10 (some are 11), do not listen as well, do not take it as seriously, and play around more. Suggestions? It's hard as while the older boys practice in the same group, there are different abilities of course. I've got one that can do a pullover, and just got a muscle up on rings (yay!) and others who struggle with a pullup. Trying to get them all engaged is difficult.

At that age if the boys aren’t taking it seriously there is a good chance the lack two things
1. Strong goals
2. Belief in their ability

Boys of that age often have a strong competitive drive but they need goals and self belief to engage it.

At that age if the boys aren’t taking it seriously there is a good chance the lack two things
1. Strong goals
2. Belief in their ability

Boys of that age often have a strong competitive drive but they need goals and self belief to engage it.
Would you suggest I ask them what their individual goals are and then develop a plan tailored to each of them? And perhaps more fun competition?

Ask them for their goals yes, but they also need guidance. As a coach you can get them excited about what they can achieve.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back