setting issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

BreezywithSpeed

for any tumbling pass i do, i don't set. my arms just don't pull me up. the only strength i get is from my legs which does give me height but to me it's never enough. i would like to be able to get my tucks and layouts up higher.

does anyone have any advice on how to set more?

I'd have to see a video to give you any truly valuable advice; right now I can only talk about common issues.

A key thing to remember is that the most crucial part of a set isn't with the arms; it's with the chest. Having your arms go up won't help you a bit if you're pulling your chest back and down on takeoff (assuming you're tumbling backwards).

Best thing to do is a lot more trampoline...back tucks, back pikes (a flip that is very often neglected, but vital to understanding a proper set), and back layouts, all performed with the arms up ON take off! Not an arm swing, learn how to do trampoline back somersaults with the arms raised straight up above the ears and you will greatly mimic the idea of a proper set on floor. Not to mention that you can probably perform ten times the amount of work compared with the tumbling on the floor i.e. one RO-backhandspring-backtuck, vs. 10 tuck backs...

blantonnick, why would you consider a back pike helpful for learning a proper set? I'm genuinely asking, not dissagreeing with you; I never learned the skill, and thus far have never taught it either.

i never really tried with my arms starting up. my tucks and layouts are still high but they aren't as high as they could. so if i get my chest up more it should help? i normally depend fully on my legs. and now that im thinking i start from my roundoff straight up i believe. i will soon get a video as an example if it will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoffrey Taucer, sorry it took so long to reply about the back pike, I didn't see your post until today....
Performing a back pike is essential for understanding a proper set for somersaulting because it requires the participant to jump straight upright off the trampoline then pike the body at the very top of the jump. If the gymnast does not 'set' properly, common mistakes will be: overrotation of the somersault, an open pike position as opposed to a tight pike, and lots of distance travelled.
Back pikes are an extremly overlooked somersault as many think it will effect the way a gymnast learns a layout/straight somersaulting position. I believe this is the farthest from the truth. They enhance the understanding of a proper set, emphasizing the hips tight off of take off and body vertical to achieve maximum height during the jump phase of somersaulting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back