Several questions about new grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

DD's team was told to get grips for the first time. We were told what kind to order and given a website. I went on the website and to pick the size it asks for the hand measurment with the smallest size being for 5". How exact does that measurement need to be? I'm guessing pretty exact since the next size up is just a tiny difference. DD's hands measured at 4.5". Does this mean the smallest size will be way too big for her or is this something she could work with? I tried emailing the coach, but with Thanksgiving I'm not expecting a quick reply. I didn't search for other brands since the coach said to get this exact brand. They are the Hot Shot grips by US Glove.

Second question is generally how long does it take a gymnast to adjust to grips for the first time? I know that can vary by gymnast and type of grip. I was told the coach likes the Hot Shot grips for the younger girls because they are fairly easy to get used to and they aren't really bulky or thick. Just curious what I should expect. One of her friends that already had grips when she joined DD's team said it only took her a few turns and she adjusted very quickly. Then I've heard other people say it took a month or longer. So if you don't mind sharing your DD's experience that would be great.

I've also heard differing opinions on whether they will be helpful or hurtful. DD's dad was really hoping they would put her in grips soon because her hands are so small it's very hard for her to get her hand around the bar. Her coach said the same thing to me recently that it would really help her hold on to the bar better. Then I hear other people and read things that say no it will make it more difficult. It's confusing. Dad says at first she will feel like she can't hold the bar, but once she adjusts she will have a much easier time. Thoughts?

So much of it depends on personal preference of your dd. Mine started with the same grip and she actually got used to them very easily after overcoming her great resistance to grips in general. I too would recommend them as a great starter grip because they are thin and easy to break in. As to whether they help you grab the bar more easily or less easily, both are true. Some girls love them right away, some girls have a difficult time adjusting and resist using them for as long as they can. You pretty much have it covered in your OP. The difference in grip sizes is usually 1/2 in, but every girl's had is not exactly 1/2 in different for the next size hand, so again, it is what is comfortable for your daughter.

I bought 3 or 4 pair of grips per year for the first two years working on fit and comfort. The Hot shots were great at first but when she really started loving her grips, they wore out quickly. Unfortunately, there is no other way than "buy and try" and it sure was expensive until she settled in. Now we are down to about 1 pair a year.

My DD had a hard time adjusting to the grips at first. She had "Pixie Grips" which were for smaller hands and were supposed to be easy to break in. It may have just been the timing of it... at the gym she was at then, they got them when they had been training level 5 for a few months and there were so many bar skills that she was just starting to work on, and it seemed like the grips just set her back to square one. At her current gym, you have to be really solid on your level 5 bar skills before the coach will let you get them. Right now the level 5 team looks like it is about half and half.

Took DS about 1-2 months to adjust to high bar grips, and at first he hated them with a passion. High bar went from being his favourite to least favourite event. Now he can't imagine doing bar without them. Still have the trauma of introducing ring grips to look forward too ;)

HC just ordered grips for DD & her L5 teammates. one has been using them for a couple months the rest are waiting, impatiently.

MY girls were in a gym where few girls wore grips, so the desire to get them wasn't too strong. The coach was okay with them having them, but wanted them to be kipping first.

Oldest took forever to get used to them once she decided to she wanted them, but once that stage was over she felt that she couldn't swing without them. She wore Baille grips as they had small sizes.

Youngest started with hot shots too, they were very good grips, I liked them better than Baille as they were easier to get on and adjust. SHe adapted to them quite quickly once she decided she really wanted them. BUt when she was in the maybe/maybe not stage there was some serious messing about going on. I guess that is what happens in a gym where there is no hard and fast rule about grips.

The coach would allow the girls to do practice without grips and them swing on another set of bars after gym to break in their grips and get used to them. One of our big issues was a limited number of bar sets adn most girls not wearing grips, it lead to some chalk wars.

There are some gyms here that put the girls in grips on their first day on team, and that is about L3 and age 9 (or turning 9 that calendar year) at the very lowest levels. Our 5-8 years olds do not compete here, there are just evaluations. SO the tiny grip issue doesn't come up as much.

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the 000 in the grips the coach requested even though her hand was smaller than that. I'll let the coach decide if they work or not. DD isn't in any hurry to get grips and actually doesn't want them, but her group is beginning to train level 6 and they all must start wearing them. I hope she will adjust quickly. They definitely won't go back and forth and the whole team getting them together will probably get DD excited. I know the other girls feel like it's a huge honor to finally be getting them. Level 5 doesn't wear them at DD's gym, except for 1 girl who moved in after already having them. So getting grips as they move to level 6 training is a big step forward for them. We will see how long that excitement lasts.

DD's team was told to get grips for the first time. We were told what kind to order and given a website. I went on the website and to pick the size it asks for the hand measurment with the smallest size being for 5". How exact does that measurement need to be? I'm guessing pretty exact since the next size up is just a tiny difference. DD's hands measured at 4.5". Does this mean the smallest size will be way too big for her or is this something she could work with? I tried emailing the coach, but with Thanksgiving I'm not expecting a quick reply. I didn't search for other brands since the coach said to get this exact brand. They are the Hot Shot grips by US Glove.

Second question is generally how long does it take a gymnast to adjust to grips for the first time? I know that can vary by gymnast and type of grip. I was told the coach likes the Hot Shot grips for the younger girls because they are fairly easy to get used to and they aren't really bulky or thick. Just curious what I should expect. One of her friends that already had grips when she joined DD's team said it only took her a few turns and she adjusted very quickly. Then I've heard other people say it took a month or longer. So if you don't mind sharing your DD's experience that would be great.

I've also heard differing opinions on whether they will be helpful or hurtful. DD's dad was really hoping they would put her in grips soon because her hands are so small it's very hard for her to get her hand around the bar. Her coach said the same thing to me recently that it would really help her hold on to the bar better. Then I hear other people and read things that say no it will make it more difficult. It's confusing. Dad says at first she will feel like she can't hold the bar, but once she adjusts she will have a much easier time. Thoughts?

My DD1 got her 1st pair of 000 Hot Shots (buckle not velcro) when her hands were less than 5 inches and they fit her just fine. Actually, her 1st pair of grips were English Bulldogs 000 but they were way too wide for her tiny palms. She was so upset using them, that out of desperation I ordered the Hot Shots, since they have a narrower palm piece and very thin leather. Well, she is still using Hot Shots as a 2nd yr L9 and has no interest in switching to a different brand. My only complaint about the Hot Shots is that my DD1 had to replace them frequently (more than 4 times a year) because the stitching where the palm part meets the wrist part kept coming out. When she graduated to size 1 (and switched to velcro) she no longer had that issue with the stitching coming undone.

As far as how long it takes to adjust to wearing grips, my DD1 adjusted easily (about a week) once we found Hot Shots. She can break in these grips in 30 minutes. DD2 never wanted grips at all and it took her a bit longer to adjust to wearing them. Neither one wore grips until they were working on circling skills (free hips, stalders, giants...)

Hot Shots are great...my daughter has used them from Day 1 ( and back then they didn't have sizes bigger than single 0!) and won't wear anything else even as she heads off to compete in college! Her grips generally last around a year (she's level 10 so at lower levels they should last longer) but we always buy 2 pairs at the same time and break both in so that either pair is ready if one pair goes. My daughter has always liked that with the thinner palm piece of the Hot Shot she can "feel' the bar around it...we were given free English Bulldogs and Reisports but she found them to be like "boxing gloves" and lasted only about an hour of practice with those brands...

And we always order the Hot Shots directly from US Glove...they're great to work with.

This might sound like a stupid question, but why does everyone seem to like buckle grips over velcro ones? I've only ever used velcro grips and I've learned giants on them no problem. Are they more useful for big stuff like kovacs or something?

The more advanced girls in our gym claim that they feel the velcro grips are not secure enough and they are afraid they will slip during giants and higher skills. I have noticed the girls with velcro (including dd) tend to adjust them more often than the ones with buckles.

DD is ALWAYS fastening and refastening her Velcro Grips. But I dont think I can get her to try a pair of Buckle ones. She goes through about 2 pair a year. I better order another back up pair now that meet season is around the corner.

The more advanced girls in our gym claim that they feel the velcro grips are not secure enough and they are afraid they will slip during giants and higher skills. I have noticed the girls with velcro (including dd) tend to adjust them more often than the ones with buckles.

that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^and for the boys too!

Ahh alright then. Never tried buckle grips, but maybe when/if I outgrow the ones I have now I'll try them out. :)
Thanks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back