Parents several questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can someone please explain what prep-optional means? Also, has anyone here ever had to re-locate to another area for gymnastics training?

Thanks!

lagymmom

Maybe I posted this in the wrong place? If so, please tell me where to post these questions. I thought that since this was a parents forum, that maybe someone could help. I'm new here, so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place.

lagymmom

Yes, thanks! This page explained what I needed to know about prep-op. I've been on the usa gymnastics website before, but I've never seen this.

lagymmom

To answer your other question. Yes, there have been families out there who have had to relocate for training. It is not overly common, most people will find what they need at a gym close enough to home. But for kids who reach the highest levels of the sport and are training elite level and aiming towards competing internationally then it is often a requirment for them to move. Only a small number of gyms have the coaching experiences and right environment to properly train elites. But when your child reaches this level they are training 30-40 hours a week and are one of the best gymnasts in the country.

There are many parents on here who drive a long way to take their kids to training and may spend many hours a day commuting because they want the best facilities for their kids and they can't get it any closer to home.

But it all depends on what is important to you. For some families their kids gymnastics is a major priority and they would be willing to do almost anything to support that, for other families there are different priorities and they would not make a move like that.

You need to balance what you might gain from moving with the negatives that ensue.

For instance, we decided not to go to another gym because it would have entailed commuting 40 minutes each way. My daughter can spend that time resting, studying or even doing additional gym time. Additional time spent commuting can also have deleterious effects on your daughter such as nausea, muscle cramps, etc. If your daughter has bonded with her teammates she also might become depressed over leaving her friends. Balance the equities before you decide and remember that all gyms have some problem.

Take into account how additional commuting time will affect your other family members. My son is into baseball and one of his main training facilities is down the street from my daughter's gym. If we moved, I would be hard pressed to find another facility as convenient.

One issue we had with our gym involved getting a new optional coach. A lot of our optional girls left because we did not have a head coach for some time. Our team director promised my family that we would get a new head coach relatively soon. So I included this promise along with the other advantages in making my decision. We did get a new coach and I am happy that we stayed.

Don't make any rash decisions. Look at all the variables pro and con before you decide.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back