Parents Sever's and OU gymnastics camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just found out today that escalating heel pain in 6 year old DD is Sever's. She has OU camp this Sunday through Thursday (commuter) . Doc recommended rest but thought camp would be manageable if it is the highlight of her summer. Any advice?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I thought that was young too! When her coach mentioned it, I said "but she's six!" Then the pediatric orthopedist said she has all the classic symptoms and diagnosed her with it. She is a bit tall for her age (4'1") so maybe her growth spurts are problematic.

The awkward smiley face is not going away. Hmmm.

I would send her. My understanding is that you can't make it worse by anything you do, it is only how much pain can you handle? There will be time to rest the following week, right?

just send her. she'll be fine.:) and am happy to see that she is a commuter. AND 6 year olds can experience severs. it is NOT uncommon.

Thanks for the advice! I now feel reassured and will send her!

If you haven't already, buy her a Tuli's Cheetah heel cup to wear. Also, have her do a ice bath for her foot (up to her ankle) at least once a day...cold water with a few ice cubes. Also, ibuprofen helps. Good luck! Been dealing with it off and on with my dd for over a year now...and we're "on" again right now as a matter of fact.

I would let her go. Make sure she wears a good sneaker--no flip/flops or sandals. Actually no bare feet/sandals until this goes away. Talk to one of the coaches when you take her in the 1st day. They can limit some of the pounding and keep an eye on her. Gymnastics coaches should be well versed in dealing with Severs. I would have ice packs in hand for the ride home each day.

OU training staff said send her with heel cups. So, away she will go for sure! No pain today though. Yeah.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back