WAG Sever's Disease

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipper had Severs and was told that 8 weeks off her feet was the best course of action. Of course, she thought the world would end if she had to be out of gym for 8 weeks, so we bought Cheetah cups and they helped some. Then she broke a foot and was in a cast for 3 months. She was back in the gym for 7 weeks before breaking the other foot. That one was in a cast for another 3 months. Once she was out of casts, she discovered the the doctor was right - the Severs has not bothered her a bit in 2 years since being off of her feet. While I don't recommend being in casts for months at a time, I can assure you that resting the feet really does alleviate the pain of Severs.

Check out the X Brace. I have had a lot of luck with it for my athletes.

http://gymnastcare.com/thexbrace

Also stop by Gymnast Care

http://gymnastcare.com/

Currently there is a letter posted from an athlete's father about the rehab suggested by Dr. Josh. His son is pain free for the first time after following instructions for 16 days. I have found my athletes respond after 2-3 days- obviously they are not as severe as what your athlete sounds.

I must say I have a level 9 athlete who complained of sever's and other foot issues. She has worn the bands for a full year and is pain free. They take some getting used to as the foot acclimated. Some cramping is to be expected. If this occurs simply remove the X-brace. I have a 10yr old that was getting pretty intense pain that now wears her bands to school under her shoes and socks. It has also helped her.

I don't believe simply laying off and going in a boot is the answer. I am an advocate of rehabbing the area in addition to rest.

Hope your athlete is feeling better soon!

My DD is 6 and since starting team this summer she has limped a couple of times due to heel pain. The pain lasts a few minutes and goes away only to return 2/3 times a day on either heel. It does not hurt during gymnastics. Does this sound like the beginnings of Sever's Disease or just plain old heel pain?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My DD is 6 and since starting team this summer she has limped a couple of times due to heel pain. The pain lasts a few minutes and goes away only to return 2/3 times a day on either heel. It does not hurt during gymnastics. Does this sound like the beginnings of Sever's Disease or just plain old heel pain?

That doesn't sound like my daughters symptoms. Once her heal begins hurting it usually last several days without advil, ice or some other treatment. It also is the most intense while she practices. The pain in Sever's disease is from pressure on the growth plate caused by stress on the ligament that runs from the calf to the bottom of the foot. Once the irritation begins it doesn't usually just quickly go away. Also most research indicates it doesn't begin until around age 8. I'd also be a little surprised if your 6 year old is training enough to "create" severs.

All that to say, keep an eye on it. It could just be a bruised heal or it could be the start of Severs.

As a disclaimer I'm not a doctor, just a parent who has done a ton of research on severs.

My dd's pain was moderate for a couple of weeks and worst during vault. The coach's had her rest or condition if it was bothering her during vault. She did tons of calf stretching, icing and Ibuprofen. I asked her a couple of days ago and she looked at me all crazy and said "It doesn't hurt at all." I have heard it comes and goes so I am expecting that it will be back during a growth spurt.

My dd's pain was moderate for a couple of weeks and worst during vault. The coach's had her rest or condition if it was bothering her during vault. She did tons of calf stretching, icing and Ibuprofen. I asked her a couple of days ago and she looked at me all crazy and said "It doesn't hurt at all." I have heard it comes and goes so I am expecting that it will be back during a growth spurt.

My DD is already tired of me asking. Today she woke up with pain and could barely walk then warmed up at practice like usual. Apparently, it did hurt while doing jumps on beam. Otherwise, she said it was fine until after practice. Then it hurt again later today while on the trampoline. No pain since then. It is very strange. I don't get it.

I've learned to not ask about anything gymnastics related and just wait for her to tell me stuff on her own. She will definitely tell me if she is in pain. She wont tell her coaches, but she lets me know so that I can give them the head's up.

Ok.. Well here is my addition.. We went in the other day for a totally unrelated foot issue (dd had a wart removed on her toe and this was the final checkup for that) DD has mentioned a time or two slight heel pain. Mentioned it again the morning of this appt.. So it being an ankle and foot doctor, we mentioned it to the nurse. They did X-rays just to see what was going on. Turns out her growth plate has a crack in it. He wanted to cast her and take her off of it immediately. But, he knows our situation and that we leave for camp on the 22nd. She is in a boot for now. I have all inclinations she will be in a cast as soon as we get back from camp. He said possibly 2 months. Has anyone ever had it get to this point? She is so worried about having to do even more modified workouts than she already is. But all parties involved know its what NEEDS to be done if she hopes to have a long-lasting gymnastics career. Any advice is welcomed! :(

Proud Level 8 momma!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back