Parents Sewing HB grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D has a pair of perfectly sized, perfectly broken in grips. Comfortable. Perfect, except...the stitching where the leather is held onto the straps is coming unstitched. Has anyone ever had luck sewing these themselves? Or do I need to go to a leather shop? Or should we just buy new grips? we are planning to get him a back up pair, but at his low weight, they will take quite a while to break in, so I would like to fix these for this season.

take them to the shoe repair and they will repair them perfectly. DO NOT do this yourself. and then buy a 2nd back up pair as everyone should do.:)

Thanks Dunno. Back up pair on order! We had been waiting because of size/age. But, with this issue, we decided to go ahead and order new ones to start breaking in. I had several people telling me to just do it myself, but that seemed dicey!!!

Are they supposed to have back up rings grips too? Or just HB?

go to a cobbler (shoe repair) they can stitch it right - don't do it yourself. Look in yellow pages you should be able to find one locally - a lot of dry cleaners in my area have a cobbler too.
I would order a new pair and be prepared to get new ones every few years. My DD seems to need new ones about every other year.

Thanks :) i was hoping that at 10 yo and about 70 lbs we might avoid needing all those grips for a few more years! At least until his hand grows out of the smallest size! LOL! (He is in a 00 right now, but we did order a 0 HB grip to start breaking in)

The age and weight really don't matter as much as how often they use the grips and how hard the skills are - at least that what it seems like to me.

Good to know. that is a lot of grips for a 10yo to keep track of! LOL!

The age and weight really don't matter as much as how often they use the grips and how hard the skills are - at least that what it seems like to me.

hold on a moment...age no. but weight, absolutely. and then how often and what skills. :)

take them to the shoe repair and they will repair them perfectly. DO NOT do this yourself. and then buy a 2nd back up pair as everyone should do.:)

Geez....what kind of mother doesn't have a pair of back up grips for her kid??????? :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back