WAG Sewing on Velvet Trim

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lyddie27

Coach
Gymnast
Hi all,
I've had a lot of success using the Jalie binding technique with a zig-zag stitch on regular spandex.

Now I'm trying to make a leotard with velvet trim, so it'll be a little softer. I worry a zig-zag stitch will tamp down the velvet. I bought some stretch velvet ribbon (was worried that folding over stretch velvet fabric would make it too thick/bulky), and am planning on making a spaghetti strap leotard.

Looking at leotards I've purchased, the stitch used was a straight stitch, but the seams do stretch. I'm puzzled.

I did buy some elastic thread, to perhaps use as my bobbin thread, but all the information I can find show that that would make ruffles/gathering.

Any tips? I only have a regular sewing machine, though I'm inching towards springing for a serger

PS-the leo I'm aiming for looks like this
78e4442dd3ca2e359584a9e7845b099b.jpg

Use a twin needle to straight stitch. And press that ribbon in half with an iron before attempting to apply it, so that it acts like FOE.

Also... Get the serger!!! You won't regret it. I have a Viking and it's amazing. I can cut out and sew leos & scrunchies for my 2 girls plus the younger one has an American girl doll and I usually do a leo and scrunchie for the AG doll, too. It takes me maybe an hour to do all of that (for simple tank leos).

Thanks for reminding me about using the twin needle! I think I'll sew on the wrong side with it, since I care more about how it feels than how it looks, especially for a practice leo.

I'm still curious, though, as to how they have a single row of straight stitches that stretches.

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.40.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.40.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.39.50 PM.png

I have very little sewing experience but I wonder if they stretch it tight to sew it? So then it is always able to stretch.

I tried using stretch velvet fabric as the binding on a leo and it got all stretched out and wonky using the zig zag stitch.
I was actually just looking at some leos on Etsy today because I loved the fabrics she used and it looked as though the binding was done with a straight stitch and I was wondering how it was actually done. I wonder if it's some kind of fancy coverstitch machine setting? Or maybe just some impressive skills with a straight stitch? https://www.etsy.com/listing/464830794/girls-pretty-peacock-gymnastics-dance?ref=related-7

I tried using stretch velvet fabric as the binding on a leo and it got all stretched out and wonky using the zig zag stitch.
I was actually just looking at some leos on Etsy today because I loved the fabrics she used and it looked as though the binding was done with a straight stitch and I was wondering how it was actually done. I wonder if it's some kind of fancy coverstitch machine setting? Or maybe just some impressive skills with a straight stitch? https://www.etsy.com/listing/464830794/girls-pretty-peacock-gymnastics-dance?ref=related-7

A lot of regular machines have a triple straight stitch, and that is a stretch stitch. Instead of just going forward once like a regular straight stitch, it goes forward, backward, forward in the length of one stitch. So it looks like a single line of stitching, but there's actually 3 stitches per stitch length instead of 1. Not sure if I'm explaining that well.

Also, coverstitch-only machines have so many cool finishing stitches you can use. So, she may just have one of those and that's an option. A coverstitch machine is my next purchase goal. :)

Reactions: sce
Ooh, I do have a triple straight stitch! I never knew that it was stretchy.

I suppose that once one of the leos gets ripped beyond repair, I'll have to do some investigative work with a seam ripper.

I'm *still* thinking that the thread itself must be stretchy, so I think I'll run some experiments this weekend!

And, oh, in a dream world, I'd love a cover stitcher! But for now, I'm managing fairly well with double needles

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back