Shaking on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
During meets, I always shake really bad on beam. This makes it very difficult for me to keep moving throughout my routine without wobbling a lot. I didn't connect my series or my dance series at the last meet because I was so nervous. Does anyone have any special little tricks to help with this?

do you guys do any pressure routines at your gym?? where you whole team or even your whole gym stops to watch your guys beam routines. This helps me a lot because it teaches you to just do the same thing with pressure. also its a good way to learn how to deal with pressure, before going to meets and having to figure it out then.

Has anyone ever video-ed you on beam at a meet? This isn't necessarily a solution, but sometimes when people think they are shaking so bad, it's hardly noticeable! Other than that, breath and relax at the meet, and do lots of repetitions at practice. The more comfortable you are with the routine, the easier it will be to stick it!

I agree with the other posts. All you can really do is practice practice practice! Also, pretend it's not that big of a deal! Just relax and do your thing! Once you get comfortable enough you'll stop shaking and start connecting. Another benefit, when you are concentrating without shaking, it's a LOT easier to save things.

I used to have a really big problem on this in level 5, it's not fun at all.

i kinda disagree gymnastbeth i had my routine perfect and stuck at gym and i was so confident but at my competition i was wobbling all over the place i think it makes it worse it makes you sadder because you know how much better you could have done. but thats just my opinion :)

The best advice that I can give you is to BREATHE. Deep breaths can really help you to relax a bit. And of course, the more relaxed you are, the less shaking you'll do. Step up to the beam, salute, and take a moment to breathe before you get on. And KEEP BREATHING throughout your routine... I can't tell you how many times I've seen one of my teammates up on the beam practically turning blue because she's so nervous that she's forgetting to breathe. :p

Just my advice... good luck! :D

Breathe. You've practiced this a million times in the gym, at the comp. it's no different! Here's a viseualization thingy my coach once got me to do:

"Pretend you're in the gym. No one else is there except for you. You get on the beam, and start doing your routine. You've stuck all your skills. POW! You stuck your dismount! You didn't do it for your coach, you didn't do it for your parents and you didn't do it for your teamates. You did it for yourself. So get on the beam, and do the routine for you!"

It really helped me.

Last edited:
Breathe. You've practiced this a million times in the gym, at the comp. it's no different! Here's a viseualization thingy my coach once got me to do:

"Pretend you're in the gym. No one else is there except for you. You get on the beam, and start doing your routine. You've stuck all your skills. POW! You stuck your dismount! You didn't do it for your coach, you didn't do it for your parents and you didn't do it for your teamates. You did it for yourself. So get on the beam, and do the routine for you!"

It really helped me.

Very well put!

another thing my coach tells us is use key words for each skill. so for like your turn you would say lift, seires like stick it or we got this. also after you saulute the judge tell youself in your head we got this, lets rock it. something to pump you up.

I was HORRIBLE with this, especially at the beginning of the season. I remember my first level 5 meet, when we used the old routines, there was a "presentation." Step onto right leg with bent knee, straighten as you press arms out kind of thing. It's not even gymnastics, it's not even real dance, and I managed to wobble on it in the meet. The next day at practice we had to do 50 stuck of whatever we had fallen or had major wobbles on in the meet. Everyone else was doing cartwheels, and I did 50 presentations. I never wobbled on that one again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back