Parents Shameless brag meet report with a 28.25AA score!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
I never ever thought I would be SO happy about one of my children scoring a 28.25 AA! But I am today. My little DD is in her first L4 season and she has struggled a lot which we knew she would. She has overcome many obstacles including many developmental delays as a toddler and preschooler and now still deals with low muscle tone and one sided weakness. Anyway...here is the brag part. Our one goal for the season for her was to score a 28AA so she could go to the L4 state meet (I know, it's a low score requirement!:eek:). However at her first meet in January she got a 24...so we figured there was no way she was going to make it. We set other goals like doing her beam dismount by herself, fixing her leap pass, etc. Well today she DID do that beam dismount and improved her beam score by over a point. She also improved her AA from a 26 something to a 28.25. I was jumping up and down hugging people and no one understood why some mom was going crazy over her kid scoring a 28...but it was me and I know how far she has come! Today was her last regular season meet and her last chance to make states and she did it! I am one proud and very surprised mom!

Older DD had a good day too. She had her personal best L5 AA score of 34.45 and earned her first 9 on beam with a 9.175. She placed 5th out of 26 on beam and I think 9th on bars with a 8.85. Did not make it out of the 7's on vault (7.85), but hey, she met 2 out of 3 of her goals for the day.:) I got all 3 events BUT beam on video...was too nervous to watch beam and forgot to pass the camera on to DH. Bummer because it was her best beam routine all year. I hope to get some video up soon (I say that a lot). Anyway thanks for reading and for the good luck thoughts and wishes. The girls had some great personal victories today!

That is great! I'm sure your ydd was so excited to qualify for states! And your ODD sounds like she had a great meet as well! Congrats to them both!

Congrats to both your DDs. Sounds like they both had a wonderful meet. And congrats to your YDD for getting that state qualifying AA.

HUGE CONGRATS to your youngest DD!!! My DD has also overcome many struggles including developmental delays, speech, and muscle tone. If you are like me, everything they do in gymnastics is amazing because we know our lives could have been so much different! I cry everytime I watch her, and that is after 4 years of competative seasons. Gymnastics has been the best PT for my daughter! The only issues that she really struggles with now are keeping those feet on the beam since her one foot turns in, difficult time with leaps and bent legs and sometimes rolling her one foot/ankle because it does turn in slightly. While she may never be a gymnastics champion AA wise, or go to the olympics, she is my champion & we always celebrate the little things she does accomplish! I am jumping up and down with you, please feel free to contact me if you ever want to chit chat. There are times when I have felt frustrated for my DD, but as we keep moving up, I realize her heart is always in the gym no matter where she places score wise at a meet.

HUGE CONGRATS to your youngest DD!!! My DD has also overcome many struggles including developmental delays, speech, and muscle tone. If you are like me, everything they do in gymnastics is amazing because we know our lives could have been so much different! I cry everytime I watch her, and that is after 4 years of competative seasons. Gymnastics has been the best PT for my daughter! The only issues that she really struggles with now are keeping those feet on the beam since her one foot turns in, difficult time with leaps and bent legs and sometimes rolling her one foot/ankle because it does turn in slightly. While she may never be a gymnastics champion AA wise, or go to the olympics, she is my champion & we always celebrate the little things she does accomplish! I am jumping up and down with you, please feel free to contact me if you ever want to chit chat. There are times when I have felt frustrated for my DD, but as we keep moving up, I realize her heart is always in the gym no matter where she places score wise at a meet.

Tears in my eyes, blackie6!! I cry at every meet too. She originally was put in rec class by her PT when she sort of "graduated" from physical therapy when she was 4. My DD also has the right foot turning in and beam is a HUGE issue for her. She went from a 5.2 last meet to a 6.650 today. Again no one knew why the nutty mom was so happy over the 6.65 but I did not care! We have definitely had a lot of frustrations and challenges with her and will continue to but also will continue to celebrate her small victories and her great amazing spirit as I can tell that you do with your DD, too. Thanks for sharing this with me. I have always thought your DD was and is amazing, too!

Congratulations to both of your wonderful daughters!

I also understand the sentiment of she's alive so let's enjoy that and everything else is kind of the whipped cream on the sundae. We've been through a lot with our daughter and still aren't at a point where she can train what would be typical L9 hours at her gym but she loves this and swinging bars is her calm within the storm so we go forward. I'll admit that the scores and competition placements just seems surreal at times. We live for seeing her smile or those mother daughter bonding moments doing her hair before the meet. The medals don't really compare to that.

Congratulations to both of your wonderful daughters!

I also understand the sentiment of she's alive so let's enjoy that and everything else is kind of the whipped cream on the sundae. We've been through a lot with our daughter and still aren't at a point where she can train what would be typical L9 hours at her gym but she loves this and swinging bars is her calm within the storm so we go forward. I'll admit that the scores and competition placements just seems surreal at times. We live for seeing her smile or those mother daughter bonding moments doing her hair before the meet. The medals don't really compare to that.

Yes, there are most definitely huge positives out of celebrating successes, however small or unique. I truly believe that every gymnast who even gets out there and performs is a winner. The ones who persist through difficulty and overcome obstacles of all kinds are truly something special. I feel blessed to be able to experience all of it with my daughter. It has definitely given me somewhat of a different perspective to it all. Congrats to your daughter on her accomplishments and may there be many more of them!

Congrats to your dds!! I always tell my dd you do not compare yourself against other gymnast but against yourself. If you are improving that is all that is important!

Very proud of your little one for overcoming so much, glad Blackie6 shared her DDs story again because I have always been inspired by her! Sounds like you have your own little inspiration. Congrats to her on qualifying for States!!!

And congrats to your oldest, too, for having her best meet yet!! First 9 on beam and best AA score, lots to celebrate!!

Congrats to both your girls! They have worked so hard!! So glad your little DD qualified to states!! That can be nervewracking!! And BTW....I did not video the best bar routine my DD had this whole season also! It is the only 9 she has gotten all year and it was a 9.45 to boot!! I thought I was recording but had not hit the record button! ARGHH!!!

Brag away!!! Sounds like they both did a great job. It's always great to hear how the hard work has paid off.

I have to say how much I love reading posts like this. Sometimes we are all so guilty of getting wrapped up in our lives that we miss what is most important. Congrats to both your dd's and to you for having a wonderful perspective on whats truly important.:)

thank you for sharing! It was a good reminder for me to cheer for EVERY girl we see, because we have absolutely no way of knowing what it is that they have overcome to even BE at these meets. I am in awe of your dd's sheer determination! What a golden heart she has! And congrats to your older dd, too. Very impressive meet for both, I'd say!!

That's fantastic!! I always say with both my kids that everything they accomplish now is just a bonus since they both had rough beginnings (DS with leukemia as a toddler, DD in an orphanage setting for 13 months with some delays). Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. Congrats for qualifying for state!!

I loved hearing your story. Congrats to them making it to States! I think it means so much more when the gymnasts have to really struggle to get these scores they are the ones that are really preservering and working hard, it seems like alot of lower gymnasts just sail through the lower levels with out much effort. I really have alot of respect for the girls that have to struggle and do not give up ecspecailly your daughter who has had extra obstacles. And I think it is great that you are so supportive of your daughters, many parents would also not perserve with the sport with all the time and expense when than their kids are not getting high scores. I hope they have a great time at States!

Congratulations to both of your dds! And making it to States is huge!

I always tell my own dd that making it to States is an accomplishment in itself, regardless of scores/placings. It's all about the memory and you always have that :).

Your dd's story was heartwarming and says a lot about her- and you. For her to perserve even though things are not as easy as they make be for her teammates (or sister) and for you to support her in this tough sport speaks volumes. My own child has special needs (not my gymnast) and I, too, understand about celebrating the small and making it big. I'm sure this meet will be one of your favorites even though your dds will have many more. Thanks for sharing your story.

Awww...thanks for all the support! I'm getting teary reading many of these posts! It has been tough to watch many of the girls sail past my younger DD without blinking an eye...and we've definitely not been weighted down with many medals this year but this small success is a huge one for my daughter and it really was a big surprise. Her small improvements added up to making that score and she has fought for every one of those small improvements! It does mean so much and it is a whole different definition of "success". And I loved what AZgymmiemom said about cheering for all the girls. I was listening to some rude woman behind me at one of the meets saying "oh my gosh, look at that score, she must have had to do something really wrong to have scored that low". You never know who is listening and you never know, as AZ said, what those girls and/or families have been through to get to that point. Feelin' the chalkbucket love today, I will share all your nice words with both my daughters (when they get home from gym of course!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back