Parents Sharp's home raided last night

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We don't know all the details of this man's abuses of both his status as a trusted grown up and coach, or what the red flags were that he was doing hurtful things to children.

It is all out in the public domain, just not linked here are it is far too disturbing for out teen population.

It is all out in the public domain, just not linked here are it is far too disturbing for out teen population.
Yes...there are a lot of details that have been made available as part of the legal proceeding. I really wish they would have sealed those files in order to protect the victim.

Yes...I know a lot of details are out there...which don't need to be shared here in this forum. I was trying to make the point that it is a reminder to have the tough conversations with our children about this "stuff." Not to be paranoid and go making accusations or "freak out", but to talk about trusting your gut, speaking up for yourself, and don't keep secrets from your parents.

Religion/ faiths are personal private matters. Your faith, or lack of does not make you a better or worse person but as these matters are very personal and subjective debates can quickly disintegrate, that's why this is not the place to discuss religious views
Love this!

Also as a side note the first person to scream religion as a way of trustworthiness is most likely not trustworthy. But you all new that all ready.

My DD's team has their upper level optionals do this. It also happens at at least one other local gym. Thankfully, my DD isn't at the level yet that requires any decision-making on my part.

One one hand - it could be an amazing experience for my kid. Lots of bonding with coaches and teammates, and learning how to navigate the world without mom and dad (but with a safety net) would be great lesson. But one coach, who DD and I both so far love dearly, is male. Not looking forward to the decision.

So if it was a female it would make you feel better?

Then I hope they don't have to drive... (Okay low blow...but you get the jist)

This incident is an opportunity to talk to our kids about how this happens. Coaches, especially, have a lot of power over our gymnasts. Thankfully, most of them use that power responsibly. But, the nature of gymnastics at times tells our kids not to trust their gut, but to trust their coach….I've read on here several times coaches explaining certain skills as "counterintuitive" and having to trust to do what the coach says even though it doesn't feel right. And, how many times is a gymnast fearful of a skill and told "Your coach wouldn't tell you to do it if it wasn't safe." And then add all the conditioning and drills that a gymnast might not understand why they are doing it, and they are just told to "Trust the coach and do what he says even if you don't understand why."
So, as parents, we need to have the tough conversations about not just sexual abuse, but physical and emotional abuse as well. Those conversations will look different based on the age of your child. Most of the time sexual abuse is from a known and trusted adult, so those of us in the field no longer use the phrase "Bad people" to describe predators when doing prevention talks. With younger kids, we talk about "tricky people" and older kids we talk about "con artists/master manipulators" and simply define them as "people who are really good at getting you to do something you wouldn't normally do"
Oh, and in the case of teenagers, many times the person they choose to tell is a friend, so also talk to your kids about how good friends don't keep bad secrets either.

Flying isn't a huge deal, flights nowadays are all full and the parent can drive the child to the local airport so if USAG policies fix the to and from the ranch part there is no issue with one coach being alone with one child.

When USAG books the travel (national team members), they do tend to have the coaches share cars when flight schedules make it possible. Not sure if it is a cost thing, a keeping kids safe thing, or (most likely) a combination of both.

The problem would come in more with kids that are not on NT that pay for and book their own travel to the ranch. USAG really can't do anything about it if they are not the ones footing the Bill and making the arrangements.

When USAG books the travel (national team members), they do tend to have the coaches share cars when flight schedules make it possible. Not sure if it is a cost thing, a keeping kids safe thing, or (most likely) a combination of both.

The problem would come in more with kids that are not on NT that pay for and book their own travel to the ranch. USAG really can't do anything about it if they are not the ones footing the Bill and making the arrangements.
If summer camps can plan for shuttle runs from airports to camp, then USAG should be able to figure it out too. These developmental camps must have certain check in times ... meaning that gymnasts should be coming in within a certain time period. Have coaches submit travel itineraries and set up shuttle bus runs to pick up from the airport or airports.

One of his coworkers was defending him in an article I read. I bet it won't be easy for her to find another job after that!

I think lots of people are very shocked and cannot believe he did it. Not that that excuses the reaction, but I can certainly understand how his staff must be reeling, and his close friends too.

Your heart has to go out to his victims when this happens.

I think lots of people are very shocked and cannot believe he did it. Not that that excuses the reaction, but I can certainly understand how his staff must be reeling, and his close friends too.

Your heart has to go out to his victims when this happens.

I can understand feeling that way, but publicly defending him to the news? Probably not the best move on her part.

That story really creeps me out because there was a gymnastics photographer in my state who tried to get me to try on different leos for a photo shoot (when I was about 13). He was never a coach, but was a regular fixture at meets. He took action shots during competitions with a portrait set-up for parents who wanted posed pictures between sessions or to buy the action shots from previous meets (since nothing was digital back then). I had finished competing at one meet and was watching a later session when he struck up a conversation with me. He told me that he had been photographing me for years and wanted to show me all of his pictures. I was very creeped out by how large his collection was. He said he was attracted to certain gymnasts more than others and I was one of them. He then offered to do a photo shoot with me. I told him no thanks, but then found out a bunch of my teammates were doing them too so I later agreed. We all watched each other's 5 minute photo shoots (some moms were there too). When it was my turn, everything was different. I was last of course, and my mom was volunteering elsewhere at the meet. He shut the door and showed me the leotards he had chosen for me and showed me where I could change. I told him that I liked my team leo, so he said we could start with that one. After about 20 minutes of a very uncomfortable photo shoot (trying to make me look very sensual), he told me it was time to change leotards. I made up an excuse to leave and did not come back. I spent the rest of my competition days avoiding any close contact with him, but could always see him out of the corner of my eye photographing me when I competed. He would often try to approach me at meets, but I always dodged him when I saw him coming and always had a teammate come with me to the restroom. I never told my parents or coaches, because I felt stupid about allowing myself to be alone in a room with him. I completely forgot about him until I read this. I'm sure he was a predator, but I have no idea if he ever got busted. I wish I'd had the confidence to share what had happened with an adult at the time.

would you please PM me who you're talking about so that i can take care of this? thank you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back