Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin fans!!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They certainly are the face of USA gymnastics right now! What amazing girls! I was an early Nastia fan, and I'll even admit I lost faith in her through her injuries, but I'm glad to see her back on track. And I still remember '06 junior nats when Shawn not only claimed the title, but outscored all of the seniors, too!

Yeah I was really upset when she fell sunday night!!! But she still had a very good score!!! Shawn did very well on beam sunday night and I was very glad for her!!!!

I've said it before, I really wish Nastia would go back to the double layout dismount. It was pretty, and she could stick it! During prelims I was forced to watch dozens of gorgeous double lays, and then Nastia's (sorry) ugly cowboyed front dismount. As much as I hate that dismount, I will be praying for her to nail it the next 3 times (AA, team, and bars finals).

She sticks most of her dismounts and her routines are amazing!!!! Shawn is really short but she also has amazing routines and her dismounts are really good :) I hope they will do great tonight I will be in front of the tv when it comes on lol!!!

ok well i absolutely love shawn and nastia! but i was thinking... nastia is 18 and shawn is 16, but they are the same skill level. if shawn had another two years to train, then shawn could be better than nastia. right now there is a two year age difference but have the same skills and same elite level. so shawn is actually the better gymnast cause nastia had 2 more years then shawn to train to be this good if you know what i mean. i still love nastia though and do believe she is an amazing gymnast, but she is two years older then shawn, so with that extra amount of training time, i would think nastia would just be a little bit better then shawn... know what i mean?! shawn had two less years to train but is as good as nastia how had 2 more yrs then her. so i that means shawn is like a fast learner and such so i believe she is the better gymnast. i love them both tho!!

It will certainly be interesting. Nastia had hinted previously about sticking aroung for London, but does she really want to come back as the defending gold medalist?-talk about pressure! I would of course love to see it-who knows, maybe with time we'd see an 8.0 SV! . I haven't heard anything from Shawn, but would definitely love to see her back.

Puberty can come into play

ok well i absolutely love shawn and nastia! but i was thinking... nastia is 18 and shawn is 16, but they are the same skill level. if shawn had another two years to train, then shawn could be better than nastia. right now there is a two year age difference but have the same skills and same elite level. so shawn is actually the better gymnast cause nastia had 2 more years then shawn to train to be this good if you know what i mean. i still love nastia though and do believe she is an amazing gymnast, but she is two years older then shawn, so with that extra amount of training time, i would think nastia would just be a little bit better then shawn... know what i mean?! shawn had two less years to train but is as good as nastia how had 2 more yrs then her. so i that means shawn is like a fast learner and such so i believe she is the better gymnast. i love them both tho!!

Those are some interesting thoughts regarding the 2 year age gap. But, you can take it further and say that Nastia had already gone through the puberty/growth spurt phase which Shawn may not have gone through yet. Nastia had grown a couple inches in the 2 years before the olympics and has had several injuries and had to adjust all of her routines when that happened. Also, I read in an article (see link below) that her mom suffers with Crohn's disease and was hospitalized last year. So for Nastia to have overcome all of that and compete in the Olympics at 18 says a lot for her.

Here is a pic of Nastia and her family. Nastia looks so much like her mom!

Liukinfamily.jpg

Here is the link to the article:

Parents' support, coaching and great DNA helped make gymnast Nastia Liukin an Olympian | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News

Last edited:
Wow i didnt know her mom had a disease. good points.... !! but idk im sure if shawn had two more years to train she would be bettr then nastia but nastia has struggled to get to the olypmics and all.. also -- nastia trains wayyy more then shawn. shawn trains like 4 hours a day but nastia does about 6 hours i thinkk. so there is anothr point. but i guess it just shows that shawn is a real natural !!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back