Parents She is retiring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
I knew six months ago that she was at the end, but she wasn't ready to admit it yet. She is ready now.

She is 16 and her body just can't take the pounding. She wants to try school clubs, crossfit, Academic Decathlon, attend a high school football game, maybe go to a dance or two, take driver's ed, find another sport. Her school has a power lifting team she wants to try; they also have a conditioning team, and her favorite part of gym has always been the conditioning. She will be fine.

It is a strange identity shift, though. She's been a gymnast for so long. I've been a gym mom as long as I can remember. I've always known that leotards and wristbands and prewrap make the best gifts. Now what?

I hope she remembers the good, the successes, the feeling of skills mastery and not so much the injuries, the struggles, the realization that her body can no longer do what her coaches want. And I really wish that the coaches were more understanding that sometimes, no matter how much you try, your body just can't always do what you ask of it. And that is not failure.

She gave it her all, and can be proud of her gymnastics journey. Good luck to her as she has fun exploring so many new avenues!

I did just get the sweetest text from one of her coaches that I forwarded to her. Made us both cry, even though this is the right choice. It's not even my sport and I think this is the right choice, and yet I am still a big ball of emotions today.

What a blessing that you both know it's the right choice. That will help you both as you move forward. Hugs to you mama!

It sounds like she is ready to open new doors. And what she wants to try sounds very exciting for the next part of her journey. Hugs to you both.

Texasmom -

BTDT. You did something very important in the way you handled this - you let her come to the point that she was done. In other words, she had to go out on her own terms.

I am predicting now, with near certainty, that you will be absolutely amazed at what she does in the next few months. Her body has to recover from the pounding, but then you will be astounded at what she does using the lessons she has learned from this crazy sport they choose. Continue to be there for her, but let the butterfly spread her wings.

Good Luck to all.

Welcome to the parents of retired gymnasts group. You'll find that there are many of us out here. Give yourself some time to process the change, I know I needed it. Then sit back and watch her explore. Its so amazing to see what interests they develop when they have the time. She'll do great!

Best wishes to you both!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back