WAG Shin pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stxrdusty

Coach
Gymnast
Recently I've been experiencing some pain in my right shin. It feels like the muscles are all contracting in the front of my leg from the top of my ankle/foot to my knee. Its gone from being a couple times a day thing to near constant and makes it rather uncomfortable to walk. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what could be the problem. I've tried the internet with little results. There's no bruise on my leg so I was wondering if it could be some kind of low vitamin issue (like potassium for example and its just causing the muscle to spasm). I am coming off a major injury in my left ankle and surgery though and have just started running again, so I was wondering if it could just be muscle strain from that.

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Research 'shin splints' and see if that might be what you are feeling. Hope you get better.

Recently I've been experiencing some pain in my right shin. It feels like the muscles are all contracting in the front of my leg from the top of my ankle/foot to my knee. Its gone from being a couple times a day thing to near constant and makes it rather uncomfortable to walk. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what could be the problem. I've tried the internet with little results. There's no bruise on my leg so I was wondering if it could be some kind of low vitamin issue (like potassium for example and its just causing the muscle to spasm). I am coming off a major injury in my left ankle and surgery though and have just started running again, so I was wondering if it could just be muscle strain from that.

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

your body is super-compensating to the right side because your left ankle is not fully healed. it is more likely than not that you have created a shin splint. go back to the Doc and get an xray to make sure you have not splintered a fracture in your shin.

you may have to wait a bit longer before running.

If it is NOT shin splints (and really is a muscular issue)... then I really sympathize with you. I actually have suffered from shin splints AND a muscular issue at the same time... the spasm (cramping) felt so bad that I thought my leg was going to snap.

While you are at the doctor, maybe they could do blood work to check your sodium, potassium, etc. The doc will know what to test for... just make sure to explain all of your symptoms and familiarize yourself with pain description terms.
http://www.painresourcecenter.com/main_e_howtodescribepain.asp
http://aleve.com/Understanding_Pain/describing.php

Good luck.

Let it heal, it only gets worse.
I'm not totally sure, but I remember someone told me that people with a major lack of vitamin D (which is likely if you live in a rainy region or spend a lot of time inside the gym/school/home) are more prone to that sort of issues, both of the bones and the muscles.
Even if it doesn't hurt anymore, for the beginning avoid hard surfaces for running and jumping, this includes grass or the regular athletic lanes (I suppose that's what it's called? You know the red tartan ones.) and things like running on your tip toes etc.
I found that even relevés hurt, so basically take it very slow ;)

Just a friendly reminder that nobody on the CB can properly diagnose an injury over the internet, if you're hurting badly, go to the doctor!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back