Shin splints-doctor or tough it out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know I've posted about shin splints before, but I have a new question.

So they came back about a month or two ago. I started doing strengthening exercises for them 3 times a day. I have been sitting out anything that could possibly hurt it at gym (vault and floor). And yet they still have not healed. The other day I ran across the gym to grab something since I was in a rush, and even after that, they were hurting. Well, not so much hurting, but just enough that I could feel it and know that they were not gone. Then at practice yesterday I was doing front pikes on the tumble track, and I could feel a twinge in them. I haven't tried tumbling on the floor or running yet, but if they hurt just by landing on the tumble track, I think it's going to hurt.

My problem is, I don't have very long for them to heal. I want to do the xcel team soooo bad. Before I didn't know if I wanted to do it, but it is to the point where I just really want to get out of the class I am in now. We don't do very hard stuff, and the coaches aren't that great at giving corrections. There are things where I think I am doing it right, and my coach says it looks okay, but when I was trying out the team, that coach said I was doing it wrong! Plus I really don't like a lot of the girls in this class. They cheat on everything and are really lazy. I asked the manager, and she said that I have until September to join the team. My parents said I have to make a decision by the middle of August so that they can get everything worked out. I am going to be missing practice next week because of a vacation, so I only have 3 practices left before I have to decide. My dad says next time I go to practice (in 2 weeks) I should try to do all the tumbling and stuff so I can see if I will be able to do the team.

My dad says that he thinks since they haven't gone away after 2 months, they are never going to completely heal. He says that I will just have to tough it out. I am wondering if I should do that, or will that just make it a lot worse? I have a friend whose sister runs. She had shin splints but decided to tough it out, and a few months later, she was in a cast because it turned into a stress fracture. I told him that, and he says that there are different kinds of shin splints, and mine might not do that. I really don't know what to do. I have asked if they will take me to the doctor, and they said no. They said that they can't do anything about it or tell me anything I don't already know. Should I ask again, or is it not necessary? And, even if I don't end up doing the team, I don't know what I am going to do when school starts again and I have to do gym class. It's not like I can sit out from that all year!

Sorry this was so long. I really don't know what to do about this.

You really shouldn't be working out on an injury that hurts, not only is it dangerous for your injury, it is also distracting and can lead to bailing in the middle of skills. No strangers on the internet can give you medical advice. If your parents won't bring you to the doctor, just ask if they can call the doctor and ask his opinion about how much pain is acceptable to "work through".

Sometimes gymnasts do need to suck it up when it comes to pain, such as stretching or conditioning. But you should never just suck it up if it's a long term injury. You only get two shins, you don't want to destroy them.

I read somewhere that shin splints are actually tiny fractures in the bone. That could explain them taking so long to heal. I think you might try a leg wrap if you are medically cleared and see if that helps.

A while ago I tried wrapping up my legs for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help. There are different kinds of shin splints, apparently. Sometimes it is in the bone, sometimes it is the muscle. I have no idea what kind mine are, which is part of the reason I asked to go to the doctor, but they still say no.

I guess you have to do what's in your heart then. I had them really bad. I used a ton of biofreeze, wrapped them, sucked it up and iced them when I got home. It wasn't fun. Every person's pain tolerance is different. As far as if they will get worse or turn into stress fractures is something you would have to ask your doc about. And I have to ask if your parents won't let you go to the doc to figure out what is best are they going to let you if they do get worse? Good luck with your decision!

And I have to ask if your parents won't let you go to the doc to figure out what is best are they going to let you if they do get worse? Good luck with your decision!
I really don't know. I've asked and they just said to cross that bridge when we come to it or something along those lines. They just keep insisting that it won't help.

Have you looked at the packet of forms your parents have to turn in before you can join the team? At our gym, a physical exam form signed by the athlete's pediatrician is required.

Have you looked at the packet of forms your parents have to turn in before you can join the team? At our gym, a physical exam form signed by the athlete's pediatrician is required.
I haven't seen one. I think they will give it to us once I tell them if I am going to join. I don't think we are required to have an exam, but I am not sure.

time for xrays.....
Oh boy. I can't convince my parents to take me to the regular doctor, let alone whoever does xrays! They think xrays are for broken bones. That's it. And my dad is convinced that they are not healing because they will just, well, never heal. How should I ask them?

you could have stress fractures. not enough rest. you need xrays.

Shin splints are just due to massive inflammation. They need rest and time off. No running and jumping.

Do a lot of calf/heel raises. Between 150-450 a workout. Basically, you are just trying to get blood flowing through the tissues to promote healing. Cold isn't necessary unless there is swelling. Heat packs.

Another thing to look into is natural anti-inflammatories. Fish oil (which unfortunately generally requires ramping up to high dosages from 20g/d to 80g/d in adults so figure half of that. Ramp up over time. You'll figure out quickly when you are taking too much by an increase in lavatory [ bathroom ] visits ) and other Omega3 fatty acids might be promising but I have heard of them being used in such fashion before whereas I have heard of it being done with Fish and Krill Oil.

Fish oil (which unfortunately generally requires ramping up to high dosages from 20g/d to 80g/d in adults so figure half of that. Ramp up over time. You'll figure out quickly when you are taking too much by an increase in lavatory [ bathroom ] visits ) and other Omega3 fatty acids might be promising but I have heard of them being used in such fashion before whereas I have heard of it being done with Fish and Krill Oil.

Just as a caution- if you're going to take high doses of fish oil check the vitamin A and D content. Oils such as Cod Liver Oil are naturally high in A and D, which can be toxic if you take very high doses for a prolonged period. Look for the Omega 3 fish oils on their own, they're easy to get theses days, just check the back of the packet the they are just the oils (will give you EHA and DHA content), and no vitamins. Then you can take the high doses. If you're veggie then flax oil does the same job.

Re. the shin splints- always get them if I do a lot of walking up/down hill. I don't get why your parents won't take you to the doctor, can you ask them why? How old are you? Is there any reason you can't make your own appointment? I still can't work out the US system but here you'd go to your general doctor, who'd decide if x-rays are necessary and send you along to the hospital to get them done.

Not knowing how old you are, I am going to go on the assumption you are at least a teenager. My oldest son (14) is a dancer and over the last year and a half has had terrible problems with his calves. His problems stem from growing so fast, his muscles just can't keep up with his bones and are constantly pulled tight. He has awesome flexibilty, but his calves are in a constant state of contraction. I've taken him to all kinds of doctors - his regular ped, sports medicine, physical therapy, and finally a chiropractor all in an effort to rule out any serious problems. It was the chiropractor that introduced us to kinesio tape. This stuff is da bomb and the only thing that keeps him dancing! We use spider tech pre-cut Y strips and apply it to his calves while he has them contracted. The tape keeps the calves from having spasmuming (sp?) and encourages circulation for healing. He also does episom salt and hot water soaks that help a lot as well. He cannot take anti-inflammatories at all so this is really the only thing we have found that works. There are tons of Youtube videos explaining how to apply the tape for various problems. You have to follow the instructions very closely or it won't stay on. We have had to shave his legs and use additional adhesive to keep the tape on during his hours of dance. I have a bulk roll of kinesio tex gold that I use to tape other things like his knees or feet. You can get the tape off of Amazon and I've seen a knock off at walgreens lately too. I hope this helps! Your parents should really take you to the doctor to first make sure you don't have stress fractures. Also - make sure you are adequately hydrated throughout the day, not just when you are doing gymnastics. You should also consider a magnesium/calcium combo suppliment to help with the shin splits and try to up your potassium intake by eating bananas.

Please keep in mind that giving medical advice on the CB is not allowed, and she should see her doctor before proceeding with any treatments. (or call the doctor if for some reason you can't go?)

I would not use cod liver oil as an antiflammatory because of it's vitamins. Fish Oil is what Glenn Pendlay uses for his lifters and he's been developing National level lifters in the jr and sr levels for quite some time now.

Kinesio tape may work but it's just a stop-gap solution. It doesn't really make things better, it just disguises it and allows you to get through.

If the case of shin splints is dire enough, it isn't gonna do jack. It works if it is not a SERIOUS issue. Once an issue has become chronic, you're SOL.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back