Parents Shoot over /bail

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom2020

Proud Parent
Does anyone know How long does it typically take to learn a shoot over from the time you start doing drills? And then how long from being spotted to doing it alone?

1 day to never is what I have seen.

That is very hard to answer. To handstand or not to handstand?

We typically start them two summers before we need them. So a year. We don't stop spotting them... even if they are competing them they are still getting spotted on a high percentage of bails each week.

1 day to never is what I have seen.

That is very hard to answer. To handstand or not to handstand?

We typically start them two summers before we need them. So a year. We don't stop spotting them... even if they are competing them they are still getting spotted on a high percentage of bails each week.
So my daughter is doing drills such as swinging on high bar, kip to hand stand and swinging down and shooting over to a cheese mat. And I’m just trying to figure out what the next step is and how long it will take typically Take for her to switch that to a low bar instead of a cheese mat with a spot.

So my daughter is doing drills such as swinging on high bar, kip to hand stand and swinging down and shooting over to a cheese mat. And I’m just trying to figure out what the next step is and how long it will take typically Take for her to switch that to a low bar instead of a cheese mat with a spot.
It all really depends on the athlete and also the plan that the coach has for that athlete.

The skill is much more about control than it is just flying over the bar.

Even with advanced athletes that convert very quickly… we would still run them with only a deck for at least a couple of weeks before adding the rail.

Here is a good video with some basic progressions… I would want them to look about this good before adding a rail. Again… we do all of this spotted…

It all really depends on the athlete and also the plan that the coach has for that athlete.

The skill is much more about control than it is just flying over the bar.

Even with advanced athletes that convert very quickly… we would still run them with only a deck for at least a couple of weeks before adding the rail.

Here is a good video with some basic progressions… I would want them to look about this good before adding a rail. Again… we do all of this spotted…

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Reactions: JBS
As a parent whose child competed this, you don’t want it rushed. My daughters’ was pushed to the real bar before she was ready so she could compete it as a level 9. At that level she only needed it to horizontal which she could do even without proper technique.

Cut to needing to properly planche to control the down swing in order to bail to handstand at level 10 and the decision to rush really bit her as she had to essentially re-learn the skill.

Reactions: JBS
For me, learning it to handstand, it took about one week to have a proper, controlled bail onto a mat stack, and then another week to have it to handstand on the mat stack. Then, I just practiced those for a week to gain confidence and control. Then I moved to actual bars with a sting mat over for a week, spotted, then alone with a sting mat for a week. Then I moved to spotted on bars no mat for a week, then I tried it on my own.

We decided to take things slow even though I could have gone fast as they were not super challenging to me to learn. I have had no issues doing it after I learned it.

I started learning it in the summer and started off by just doing swings from a cast. About a week later, I was told to just throw the skill with just a sting mat over the bar and a 10cm mat under it, therefore my form was/is not the best. I never got spot for the skill, however, I tend to just throw skills so that's not a surprise. I stayed at that for a few weeks, then I got rid of the mats. about a month later (competition season) I slowly made it up to handstand on both sides. my friend who was learning this skill at the same time as me, it took her a bit longer but everyone is different.

One thing to remember about this skill… if the athlete is consistently hitting their feet on the ground under the low bar… then they absolutely do not have a bail.

My daughter has been doing drills for bails this summer (with a 8 incher over the low bar). She’s only likely to compete 7 in January, so I imagine it will be a couple years before she actually has this skill. Assuming she’s even still in the sport at that point. So I think the timeframe probably varies quite a bit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back