Parents Shoot through help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Teammom

Proud Parent
My 7 year old daughter is having trouble with her shoot through. It’s funny how some skills come so easily and others don’t. She has the front mill circle & front hip circle beautifully! I’ve found some good YouTube videos so she can see it in slow motion. To me it looks like the hips go up a little more the a regular cast. Instead of a high powerful cast, she needs to get her hips higher (still powerful). Is that right? She has long legs for a seven year old.

She is in the gym 3 days a week, but they don’t always practice shoot through. I know, I know it’s the coaches job!! Just thought I could give her some tips that make explain it better to her ;)

Not to mention she has a long torso and isn’t naturally flexible :( Is there any hope getting this dumb thing?

Hugs to you and your daughter. I know it is probably frustrating for you and your daughter. My daughter had this exact same problem last year. She had her shoot-through, went through a HUGE growth spurt and never got it back. She has long legs and shorter arms. She ended up doing a cheat most of the season where she kind of rested her leg on the bar for a second and then got it through. It killed her bar and AA scores, but that scored much better than when she went for the shoot through correctly and ended up with a "fall." It made for a rough bars season. The good news is that the shoot through goes away after Level 3. My daughter is a Level 4. She has her squat on. It was a bit of a struggle at first and it is not as pretty as some of the shorter girls, but it works. She is still pretty "leggy." So... while I don't have any magic want to fix the problem, I am hoping I can offer hope that things will get better from here. :)

Not to mention she has a long torso and isn’t naturally flexible :( Is there any hope getting this dumb thing?
My daughter has flexibility issues as well. When does she start competing? For my daughter, when we got close to meet season and they saw she wasn't getting it, they let her do the cheat. Not sure if your gym will allow that, but it was much less demoralizing for my DD to do the cheat than falling every meet.

Notoriously a PITA of a skill! Sorry your daughter is struggling. I was so happy to never have to watch my daughter compete that skill again after 2 years of level 3 :). My daughter missed it at several meets. My advice is to leave it to the coaches and try to take a deep breath and relax.

Short arms. Long torso. Not naturally flexible in some areas (tight thoracic spine and, to a lesser extent, hip flexors). All describe my DD too. She struggled with the shoot through as well, but ever since has found much success on bars. It's by far her best event (she is L7 now). Even the squat on has never been an issue. So I would say 'who cares' and take a longer term look. (PS -- Press handstand from sitting/straddle is also a big pain in the butt if you have short arms, long torso, and tighter hip flexors!!)

Short arms. Long torso. Not naturally flexible in some areas (tight thoracic spine and, to a lesser extent, hip flexors). All describe my DD too. She struggled with the shoot through as well, but ever since has found much success on bars. It's by far her best event (she is L7 now). Even the squat on has never been an issue. So I would say 'who cares' and take a longer term look. (PS -- Press handstand from sitting/straddle is also a big pain in the butt if you have short arms, long torso, and tighter hip flexors!!)

My dd exactly!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back