shoot thru's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
My daughter is trying to move up to the preteam and one of the things that she has to have is her shoot thru. She has been working on this since July and can't get it. She does a nice cast and lift her knee straight up to go over the bar but her foot keeps getting stuck on the bar. Her coach told her she needs to lift her hips after the cast to get more height to allow the foot to go over the bar. But my daughter just can't figure out how to do this. Her coach gave her one drill to work on at home. She said to get into a pushup postion then jump the feet up and practice shooting a leg forward. She has been practicing this but says she doesn't know how to do this on the bar. Does anybody have any advise?

without actually seeing it it's hard to give a specific idea of what she can work on at home, but rest assured that this trick is a common problem. Try having her focus on leaning over the bar (shoulders past hands) while doing the push up shape jump to feet up. You could also try having her stand facing the couch, with her hands on the couch and her feet on the floor (with a hollow body). Then, lean shoulders over hands and jump feet up to the couch. Good luck and don't get too frustrated!

My dd had this problem so we got her a cheap doorway bar for about $20 and she could practice at home I think what my dds main problem was is not being able to do it, it was feeling confident that she wouldnt fall and hurt herself trying it. The doorway bar I got we put about 3 ft from the floor and it made it less scary. now she uses it for squat ons and does splits under it:D

This is the one we got
http://www.gymsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3331

I see this also as one of my DD weaknesses. Thanks for the link to the bar, I went ahead and ordered one for my DD. Great for her to also work on her pull ups and russian pullovers.

Barb

LOL - this brings back total memories. When my dd was a level 4 she could never do her shoot through without catching her toe on the way over. The rest of her bars were great (she would always get 9's and usually place 1st or 2nd even with catching her toe). We would all just laugh when she did bars - she could do all her other elements, but always messed up on the darn shoot through. What finally helped - moving to level 5 and not having to do it anymore - and don't ask me why she could the squat on, but not the shoot through?? Sometimes they just get weird mental blocks. Tell her not to stress too much about it - after level 4 she will never have to do it again :)

those shoot throughs seem to be common to have issues with. one girl in my DDs class has everything beautiful that they are supposed to have except the shoot through. she even is super close to her mill circle and front hip circle. and she does everything so beautifully. she just can't get that shoot through. they have to have that alone to move to team, but i can't imagine them holding her back from moving because of that (at least it would shock me, since she is so amazing otherwise).

my DD for some reason got it right away and only struggles with it when she is really tired. she isn't close to having her front hip or mill circle though. and she has to have that with a spot to move to team.

we have a pullup bar, but it is too high for DD to practice much on. (i did this on purpose, LOL). she loves it. :D got ours at walmart for 11.95.

My DD did not do this until she started on team. I think it's one of those things you either get or don't get. Some days my dd gets it get it, sometimes not. She's pretty much always nail'd it at meets except for one I think. You'd be surprised what they do for an audience & judges, LOL! I do know that when the team was working on TOPS and conditioning it was much easier...so maybe the arm strength had something to do with it? Funny that they never do it again after L4...we can't wait til L5 to get rid of that skill.

I remember the day I got my shoot through. I do believe it was bribery that got me to put my leg on the other side of that bar.:)

This has been one skill DD has struggled with too. I have to say she is getting better and just got it on the training bar last week. Now we are tackling the mill circle. We are so close with a spot but she just can't get it alone.

I didn't have anything in level 4. Once I was a level 5 I could do 50 mill circles in a row. Yes I tried 50 mill circles in a row. lol But I actually figured out that even though i am a lefty I can't do mill circles and shoot throughs on my LEFT side but I can do them easily on my RIGHT side.

my dd is L3, she actually has her shoot thru - taught herself about 2 weeks ago - The Mill Circle is what is causing her problems, she cannot do it yet w/o a spot. Has been trying since Oct. I know it will come, but it is frustrating to watch her be so close...... and yet so far !!

This skill is not in our levels program but I remember doing it for a badge program. The most memorable thing for me was going back to stoop ons after doing the stoop through. I forgot what I was doing and tripped over the bar.

Perhaps have a large mat to fall back on during any failed attempts to remove any fear. I would also make sure that her flexibility is good enough, can she press her stomach to her thighs when reaching forward.

Possibly Pike leaver holds and tuck holds to build strength

I didn't have anything in level 4. Once I was a level 5 I could do 50 mill circles in a row. Yes I tried 50 mill circles in a row. lol But I actually figured out that even though i am a lefty I can't do mill circles and shoot throughs on my LEFT side but I can do them easily on my RIGHT side.

I did notice this with my DD. She is a lefty on her tumbles and such but on this she is doing it right. I wonder if that is making a difference for her. Since she just got the shoot through I am afraid to have her try the other leg. She is such a head case that I am sure that would totally blow her little mind.

well wat helped me was wen i did my cats and i lifted my leg as high as i could over the bar and held my leg straight out and squeezed then i did the mill circle.

My DD got her shoot thru tonight, being the 2nd or 3rd time that they worked on them in practice. I really thought that this would be a long time coming. It was a great surprise.

Barb

i think some kids are just lucky. it is one of those weird skills. i saw soo many girls struggling with it at the L4 meet we just went to. my DD is a lucky one, in that she actually got it the first time they ever tried it, and did it several times that day. she usually gets them everytime, unless she is already really tired. i am sure that will change with the increased strength and conditioning they are doing.

i think it stinks that they NEVER use it again. it makes no sense. i am sure there is some kind of reasoning for it, but it seems to hold up so many girls and be a source of frustration for many as well. i wonder what skills it helps with or leads to? they must have a reason for it. anyone know?

I don't know what the reasoning for it is. I was thrilled last night DD got her cast & shoot thru. She was so excited. She was so close to the mill circle. Only a slight touch on the back. It was a big night for her.

I did notice this with my DD. She is a lefty on her tumbles and such but on this she is doing it right. I wonder if that is making a difference for her. Since she just got the shoot through I am afraid to have her try the other leg. She is such a head case that I am sure that would totally blow her little mind.

When my dd was level 4 that is what I thought her problem was too. She is lefty with everything, but for some reason did those righty?? Once she learned though she didn't want to even try with her other leg. Anyway - once again, I am glad the days of shoot thru's are done, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back