Parents Short hair and meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justkeepswimming

Proud Parent
My young daughter just started competing, and she also just had 8" cut off her hair. I had her stop at this length because they want her hair in a bun for competition. She really wants to go shorter- at or slightly above the hairline in the back, and longer on the sides in the front.

How do you manage that for competion? I am great at French braids, and am sure I could get small braids in short hair to get it out of her face, but wouldn't be able to pull off a bun.

If the bun is a requirement (stupid) then maybe you could use fake hair to get the look. For us, DD gets a shorter haircut right after competition season and by the time competition season rolls around 6 months later, it is long enough for a neat pony (not a bun).

Cut the hair. Then tell the coach it is too short for a bun.

Yes.

Dd was similar. I plait the top into two braids, tidy, and off her face.

If they demand a bun, scrape the top half back into a pony, and approximate a bun. I think if i get a very small donut, i can just about do it. Dd hates that though, the plaits are far more practical.

Thank you for the replies. I must admit, putting a few inches of hair out the face is much easier than a foot of hair! I get they want them to look neat and tidy, but so silly when it is about the sport! We ordered got 2b glued, so hopefully even if short it will stay put!

This is my hair currently:
IMG_5709.JPG
(I don't know how this compares to your DD's) It has layers, is quite thin, and is generally awful to do anything to.
However, in about 30 min, I can do this:
IMG_5708.JPG
1. I straighten it to get every inch possible.
2. Wet it with a spray bottle.
3. Slick it back with some hair gel, whatever brand works best for you.
4. Pull it into a ponytail, starting by grabbing the top half then whatever else will go in.
5. Clip up the baby hairs on the sides and whatever strays there are in the back with barrettes.
6. Put in a sock bun. Mine is a homemade one with a baby sock.
7. Flip my head, and wet it so its weighed down, I spread it evenly across the sock and put a thin elastic over it so it forms to the bun.
8. Bobby pin the hair that sticks out to the base of the bun.
9. Scrunchie that came with the leo on top. if you have a bow, that works too.
I hope this made sense, especially if the coach won't budge.

This is my hair currently:
View attachment 6598
(I don't know how this compares to your DD's) It has layers, is quite thin, and is generally awful to do anything to.
However, in about 30 min, I can do this:
View attachment 6599
1. I straighten it to get every inch possible.
2. Wet it with a spray bottle.
3. Slick it back with some hair gel, whatever brand works best for you.
4. Pull it into a ponytail, starting by grabbing the top half then whatever else will go in.
5. Clip up the baby hairs on the sides and whatever strays there are in the back with barrettes.
6. Put in a sock bun. Mine is a homemade one with a baby sock.
7. Flip my head, and wet it so its weighed down, I spread it evenly across the sock and put a thin elastic over it so it forms to the bun.
8. Bobby pin the hair that sticks out to the base of the bun.
9. Scrunchie that came with the leo on top. if you have a bow, that works too.
I hope this made sense, especially if the coach won't budge.

Thank you! Good info! Right now, hers is slightly longer...but also very thin and fine. I have to do it wet with the hair glue stuff. She wants to take it to the hairline in the back, so I doubt I will get that up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back