WAG Shorts in competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m thinking about the recent wardrobe malfunction at the Olympics during ice skating this year. In hindsight, she might have made a different choice.

The problem with Figure Skating is a different rule, namely the one that doesn't allow skaters to stop their program without being heavily deducted.
With regards to options of covering as much parts of the body as you're comfortable with fs is one big step ahead of gymnastics.

The problem with Figure Skating is a different rule, namely the one that doesn't allow skaters to stop their program without being heavily deducted.
With regards to options of covering as much parts of the body as you're comfortable with fs is one big step ahead of gymnastics.
Wouldn’t wardrobe adjustments incur deductions in gymnastics as well?

If my kid stops or breaks her rhythm in a routine to fix say a wedgie, or her hair. Of course she would incur deductions.

I would imagine if her leo ripped in such a way that if choosing to cover herself prevented her from completing portions of her routines she would not only incur deductions but pretty big ones.

And yes comfort while competing is huge.

And has been since the late 80s. Debi Thomas' costume for her short program in Calgary was a unitard.

Forgot to add: I personally like the lines of long sleeved leotards but speaking from a point of comfort prefer wearing short sleeved ones. A non-gymnastics friend of mine after being told by me that l/s leos are more common in competition recently pointed out the irony of allowing and even prefering long sleeves but no pants. I think she has a point there.
I have always thought the same thing. And with gymnastics being a winter sport...
Now, a lot of teams are going to 3/4 sleeves (nicer for girls with arms that are too long or too short to fit with the rest of the leotard) and our team made the conversion last season.... so, lol, capri leggings OR shorts with the leotard?? :)

I asked my turning-12 year old optional, "So if you were in charge of all gymnastics, what would you choose as the standard competition uniform?" I gave her choice of long and short sleeve leos for the top, and choice of shorts, pants/capris, or nothing for the bottom. I did specify that any bottoms could be designed special to coordinate with the leotard.

Her reply:

I like the long-sleeved leo just because it feels special and fancy. It's like a costume.
I like shorts because I practice in those every day, and they are comfortable, especially on bars. I don't mind competing in just a leo, but I think a lot of girls would feel better if they could wear shorts, so I would choose that. I would love fancy ones!

Then I asked her if fancy shorts were an option for competitions, and just a leo was an equally acceptable option, which would she choose personally?

I would choose to wear shorts.

Just 1 kid's opinion, and I don't put this here to 'convince' anyone that shorts are better, but that the focus should be on what the athletes think is most comfortable and suitable to perform in (that also is safe, e.g., not so baggy to snag equipment or hide lines), and to make performance clothing that fits their needs. In this case, special and fancy competition shorts.

But until 'fancier' options are more commonplace, and coaches are willing to take the first step and offer their team this option without making it sound like they will take a penalty for judging, or that it would be 'weird' somehow to wear shorts, the 'standard' put in place by adults decades ago will likely remain.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks it's ok to perform in an outfit that is cut above the hip bone and unless the gymnast is standing still appears to be cut inside the crease at the top of the inner thigh.

A picture of a gymnast at the Nastia Cup on the beam in a normal, sitting pose, facing forward, showed that and it was distributed nationally. The picture was almost almost obscene.

There is a difference between an extreme cut Leo, a well cut Leo, short shorts, long shorts and leggings. I think short shorts make the most sense for now, but the extreme cut Leo has got to be stopped.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks it's ok to perform in an outfit that is cut above the hip bone and unless the gymnast is standing still appears to be cut inside the crease at the top of the inner thigh.

A picture of a gymnast at the Nastia Cup on the beam in a normal, sitting pose, facing forward, showed that and it was distributed nationally. The picture was almost almost obscene.

There is a difference between an extreme cut Leo, a well cut Leo, short shorts, long shorts and leggings. I think short shorts make the most sense for now, but the extreme cut Leo has got to be stopped.

I think I know the photo you’re referring to. I won’t post photo, but here is a link to article. http://ncaagymnews.com/2018/03/07/2018-nastia-liukin-cup-recap/

Anyone who is arguing about ‘lines’ being accentuated with a high cut leg should consider whether this athlete’s lines are really accentuated positively or negatively. Modesty concerns aside, I personally find this cut trend visually unappealing to the art, hence detracting to the performance. Gymnasts must place their bodies in so many different shapes throughout a competition, and so I find it logical that attire selection should center on consideration of fit, coverage, comfort, and visual consistency across all body positions and movement between positions. If ‘wedgies’, for example, are a common issue that must be continually worked around by many athletes, then perhaps the attire selection is problematic and it is time to reconsider the standard of attire.

Yes, that's the picture I find completely inappropriate and unflattering.

And that does not work from any angle. There is a photo of a competitor at last years Nastia Cup in almost the same pose on beam, but from behind. I will not link it, because the gymnast deserves to be talked about for her awesome gymnastics and not her wedgie, but it looked more suited to a beach in Brazil than it was for serious athletic competition.

Reactions: sce
Have any of you had this much drama over the leotards in real life?? The gym I grew up in was in a small, very conservative Southern town with plenty of overbearing helicopter moms who nit-picked everything.

NEVER ONCE were the leotards brought up as an issue. I remember our (female) head coach once saying “I’m ordering the European cut leos cause I don’t want y’all to look like grandmas” and all the girls were happy.

Have any of you had this much drama over the leotards in real life?? The gym I grew up in was in a small, very conservative Southern town with plenty of overbearing helicopter moms who nit-picked everything.

NEVER ONCE were the leotards brought up as an issue. I remember our (female) head coach once saying “I’m ordering the European cut leos cause I don’t want y’all to look like grandmas” and all the girls were happy.
We had a little rec girl at the gym last night and her leotard was actually above her hip bone. It fully covered her bottom and the size was correct... it was the cut of the leotard that caused it. One of the coaches is a friend of her family and gave her a pair of shorts to put on over the leotard.
We are slightly more conservative in practice currently because we share space with a boys non-gymnastics sports program (ages 10+) and there are a lot more boys and men in the gym. The team girls are more self-conscious about how their leotards cover (the boys tend to look over or around "the wall" and to leave the gym, we have to go past their area... to the restroom or the water fountain).
Our team leotards have the more modest cut on the leg and we still have trouble with the fit on gymnasts with more mature female figures, even if they get the correct size.

Yes, leotards have been brought up by multiple parents as an issue at every single gym we’ve associated with for some reason or another. The cut/colors by girls through their parents and then of course the cost.

Were the photos, descriptions, and personal accounts of ill-fitting garments and other concerns people have raised not 'real life' to you?

Clearly you like high cut leotards for your own sense of visual appeal, and you think lower cuts are "Granny Panties."

Opinion noted (multiple times).

And clearly you are not alone in your taste, as teams, including the Nastia Cup have selected such a cut for their gymnasts to perform in.

I politely suggest, however, that labeling other people's opinions and suggestions as 'drama' just because they differ from yours, will not help you convey your point further.

I'm actually not sure. I don't deduct it. I'll rather have the gymnast pick a wedgie than compete with their butt hanging out. I've spoken to coaches/gymnasts once or twice about getting the right sized leo though.

In my region judges deduct for picking wedgies. If you as a judge like it or not, we are even expected to do so by the chair of judges, same for e.g. fixing your hair during a routine.
It is a 0,3 penalty for behavior related violations from the final score.

I am not sure of the exact reason: incorrect attire or other undisciplined behavior - both is 0,3 from the final score, so it does not really matter.

Code of Points, Section 2: Regulations for Gymnasts
(...)
2.3.2 Competition Attire
a) They must wear a correct sportive non transparent leotard or unitard (one piece leotard with full length legs-hip to ankle), which must be of elegant design. She may wear complete leg coverings of the same color as that of the leotard; under or on top of the leotard.
b) The neckline of the front and back of the leotard/unitard must be proper, that is no further than half of the sternum and no further than the lower line of the shoulder blades. Leotards/unitards may be with or without sleeves; shoulder strap width must be minimum 2 cm.
c) The leg cut of the leotard may not extend beyond the hip bone (maximum). The leotard leg length cannot exceed the horizontal line around the leg, delineated by no more than 2 cm below the base of the buttocks.

Our club has extremely high-cut leotards, so my teammates and I apply tons of “butt-glue”. Is is actually a roll-on glue for medical compression stockings, but it works great. You can be sure that your leo stays in place, I would never compete without it.

I feel like there are lots of good reasons for and against wearing shorts, long sleeved, tank leos and crop tops. It is not really a big deal at my club. In training gymnasts are allowed to wear everything, as long as it fits (event tight t-shirts and vests) and you can be spotted safely. Most girls prefer tank leos with shorts.

For competitions, wearing the long sleeved competition leo is an acknowledgement. Coaches are like “you worked hard, now you are allowed to put on the team leo, it is time to go out and sparkle on the competition floor, be confident and show them that you are the best”.
So in this situation, it is like a treat and I personally feel that there is no reason to feel uncomfortable.

Yes I thought it might fall under 'incorrect behaviour or attire'. Which is kind of the point to me: If you really want to deduct for attire, shouldn't the deduction be for the wrong sized leo rather than the gymnast trying to cover up in a compromising situation? (And I just don't consider that incorrect behaviour.) In that case the deduction should occur wether she picks the wedgie or not.
I think the rules are a bit open to interpretation in that regard and this is my decision. I have yet to be in trouble for it :)

Yes I thought it might fall under 'incorrect behaviour or attire'. Which is kind of the point to me: If you really want to deduct for attire, shouldn't the deduction be for the wrong sized leo rather than the gymnast trying to cover up in a compromising situation? (And I just don't consider that incorrect behaviour.) In that case the deduction should occur wether she picks the wedgie or not.
I think the rules are a bit open to interpretation in that regard and this is my decision. I have yet to be in trouble for it :)
But "right sized" leotards can also cause wedgies... especially if the "cut" of the leotard is not compatible with the "cut" of the gymnast.

Right, so we sucessfully proved the deduction to be useless and unfair. Hurray!

I'd say we all go ahead and order shorts for our next comp leotard :D
(I might actually go for it next season, our girls leos have a black lycra bottom, so this is as easy as it can get)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back