WAG Should gold medals be awarded first or last?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cassafrass

Proud Parent
I have seen it both ways. Which do you prefer? Do you agree with the idea that the first place winner should be on the podium longer? Or do you like the idea of saving the best for last?

I have seen it both ways. Which do you prefer? Do you agree with the idea that the first place winner should be on the podium longer? Or do you like the idea of saving the best for last?

Personally, I like the 1st place winners called first. That way, they're not climbing over everyone trying to get to the top of the podium. Plus, you have time to get pictures.

I wish to go home. Really it doesn't matter. And realistically. First place first, less climbing and the kid who rated first spends the most time out there.

First place first is ideal. Logistically easier (with the climbing), more time at the top...

And though I appreciate the 'suspense factor' reasoning of announcing 1st place last, imo, there is just as much or more suspense at who will take 6th or 8th or 10th as the girls who may not be the 'top podium' athletes are just as excited and vying and hoping for those placements to perhaps get any medals at all.

The suspense and glory isn't all just at the top. :)

And to clarify my preference for 1st place 1st, I am only talking about kids JO/Xcel/etc meets where there are typically several age groups and award ceremonies are loooong, and therefore kids are up and down and up and down very swiftly, parents clamoring for that quick photo...etc...

I'm not talking about the Olympics or senior elite cup such events. For those formal events where there are really only 3 (or otherwise very few) awards in a single, formal ceremony, then I do agree with the traditional "1st place last" approach.

I'm not sure I really care about first or last, I can see the pros and cons of both.

What I do really like is when they do all age groups of each event rather than all events of each age group. This makes awards more interesting the whole way through. For mine in the youngest age group she doesn't have to sit there through the whole thing when her age group is done nor do the older girls have to wait forever before it is there turn.

And For the oldest age groups they still have a full attentive audience. I see a lot of people leave after their age group is over. I know everyone is tired and it has been a long day but this just bugs me. Every age group deserves to be celebrated and it is good sportsmanship for the girls to stay and support all the girls.

I think going

Jr a vault
Jr b vault
Sr a vault
Sr b vault

Then

jr a beam
Jt b beam

Etc.

Just keeps everyone engaged the whole time and makes awards much more interesting.

i dont really have a preference for individual awards, but i really think team awards should go 1st place first. SO MANY people leave during team awards and when your team is first place there aren't many people left by the time you get your award. pet peeve of mine. we actually had to get our girls back up on the podium at a meet this season for a team picture because there were so many people leaving and walking around right in front of them that we couldn't even see them. the whole room seemed to be acting like awards were over- it was ridiculous.

My kids are split. DS (1st season) thinks awards should start with first place.

My (introverted) DD is 4 seasons in and prefers having first place announced last - less time on the podium, plus she says the suspense is fun. She's not comfortable with the attention standing up there alone... Of course with optionals around the corner, it's not likely to be such an issue going forward. ;)

As a mom, I kind of like it when they call the last place finisher first with the score so I know if my kid placed right away.

Usually I could care less, whatever gets us out of there quickest so we can go eat! LOL =)

But I think the suspense of calling first place last is kind of cool. It's pretty much a moot point though at most meets that we attend where most parents are tracking their kid's scores and age group online and already know where they placed lol. It might be suspenseful for the kids though. Although I think most of them are ready to get out of there and eat too.;)

You know in all my years I have never actually been to a competition or even seen a competition where they award 1st place 1st.

It's always done last here.

I'm not talking about the Olympics or senior elite cup such events. For those formal events where there are really only 3 (or otherwise very few) awards in a single, formal ceremony, then I do agree with the traditional "1st place last" approach.
Interesting to read this view, in the UK the majority of comps only have 3 awards, per age per apparatus.
I went to one where dds group had competed over 3 different time blocks and we had to be back for awards later (no idea what went on in the other 2 comp blocks until we went back), then it was about 10-15mins - girls all marched out onto floor, given participation medal and cert as they walked on, sat down and 3rd, 2nd and 1st announced for each apparatus called out and given their award medals then the AA was given a trophy.
So for me, gold medals get awarded last.

Reactions: sce
I like a non- gymnastics way i saw once.

Read out the results after the round, while everyone picks up their stuff and returns to parents. Only those getting an award go back out for the presentations.

Way quicker, and those not getting anything can watch with a cuddle, rather than having sit out in front if everyone waiting to find out if they get an award.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back