Parents Should I continue to push dd to switch gym—-level 9 — incoming high schooler— goal : college team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I apologize for my altitude and emotional words really annoying some members here. In fact, I did let my dd choose gym and respect her opinion . After all , parents can’t force a teenager to do anything she does not want to. . I did not actually force her to switch the gym, though I did have strong opinion and actuallly already being Mad about that for a while. especially after I observed their practice, very low efficiency. Most of time those girls are chatting. The beam coach does not coach , only stay there watching for one week. The beam coach was too loose on the team and seems has not technical coaching skills .

Cons:
1) No Pit
2) the bar / vault coach she likes is too old, already I guess around 60. I do feel not so secure when he spot the kids , even he is an experienced.
3) the floor/beam coach does not coach at all, only standing there and watch , not providing any technical coaching, and not discipline the team.
4) too many unqualified optional gymnasts in one group(9. Sometimes one coach needs watch two different groups . The other gym has 14, but break into two groups . They are all level9 s

5) beam coach seems not as committed as the other gym or too busy. Sometimes she was not available for practice even before competition. Girls do stuff themself without a coach. Sometimes they might let lower compulsory coach watch them.

Pros: the coaches do pay attention to gymnasts’ emotional health. No abuse. Very easygoing , Teenagers do like them. The beam coach very social , good personality, sometimes too easygoing , easy to talk to. The coaches both are very good persons.

At the end , lucky for me, my dd finally decide to try out another gym after she know I do respect her feelings and opinion. She tried out one gym with abusive coach . She didn’t like it at all. She just had some anxiety for the change of unforeseen future . She knows this gym is not the best for her. she really wants to get on college team .

I appreciate all the responses and all your converns. I feel this is a great gymnastics community, alway had your questions answers and concerned. Thank you very much!

As someone north of this, I assure you that 60 is not "too old" but thanks for that vote of confidence......
Was going to comment on this too. Definitely not "too old". Had a coach who was in his 70s, was one of the best coaches in the gym. Was a great spotter too.

I didn’t feel that Gaby was suggesting that 60 is too old to coach/spot. More specifically that this particular coach seems to coach like she is too old.

This doesn’t always have anything to do with age. I’ve seen 20 year olds who complain they are too old, move slowly etc, to have 60 year olds run circles around them.

As someone north of this, I assure you that 60 is not "too old" but thanks for that vote of confidence......
"Coach too old" is a funny criticism. Most of the coaches who really know how to produce elites on a consistent schedule are "old". One might object to an old coach under the premise that an old coach might be less likely to be hip to the more modern "positive coaching" trend, but even that is dubious.

It is not just about age . When coach get physically slow, we do have some concerns, Especially when the coach is spotting high level bar .

It's true. Just look at this old fart

AL%20FONG.JPG

Finally Relieved! We switched to a new gym with a pit! My daughter loves it. She said now she realize the pit is so important after one tryout. Without pit , she has to do lots of warmup exercises in order to do doubles on trampoline . It is like a God’s plan. I didn’t purposely force her to tryout. Just came up some other issues, we had to change the gym.

I apologize for my altitude and emotional words really annoying some members here. In fact, I did let my dd choose gym and respect her opinion . After all , parents can’t force a teenager to do anything she does not want to. . I did not actually force her to switch the gym, though I did have strong opinion and actuallly already being Mad about that for a while. especially after I observed their practice, very low efficiency. Most of time those girls are chatting. The beam coach does not coach , only stay there watching for one week. The beam coach was too loose on the team and seems has not technical coaching skills .

Cons:
1) No Pit
2) the bar / vault coach she likes is too old, already I guess around 60. I do feel not so secure when he spot the kids , even he is an experienced.
3) the floor/beam coach does not coach at all, only standing there and watch , not providing any technical coaching, and not discipline the team.
4) too many unqualified optional gymnasts in one group(9. Sometimes one coach needs watch two different groups . The other gym has 14, but break into two groups . They are all level9 s

5) beam coach seems not as committed as the other gym or too busy. Sometimes she was not available for practice even before competition. Girls do stuff themself without a coach. Sometimes they might let lower compulsory coach watch them.

Pros: the coaches do pay attention to gymnasts’ emotional health. No abuse. Very easygoing , Teenagers do like them. The beam coach very social , good personality, sometimes too easygoing , easy to talk to. The coaches both are very good persons.

At the end , lucky for me, my dd finally decide to try out another gym after she know I do respect her feelings and opinion. She tried out one gym with abusive coach . She didn’t like it at all. She just had some anxiety for the change of unforeseen future . She knows this gym is not the best for her. she really wants to get on college team .

I appreciate all the responses and all your converns. I feel this is a great gymnastics community, alway had your questions answers and concerned. Thank you very much!
same as my feeling .... My dd happen same..

For an only 14 year old kid, sometimes, they don’t see a big picture and not able to make a rational decision. Right Now, I am lucky that my daughter realized that this is actually a good move for her . However , still parents can’t force a teenager to switch . They wud do anything to be against you in order to claim their independence. Parents Need to figure out other ways wisely . Gym is an important decision if you reach level 9 . However Switching gym still has to be their decisions for teenagers.

Yikes! What is going on on this board? So many bizarre posts lately.
A parent that cares about their child's future and wants to maximize their potential before entering the highest level? I'd say OP is a caring, loving parent that wants the most for their child and good on them!

It seems more so OP has an issue with someone at the gym if they have top level athletes already? I'm not educated enough in gymnastics to comment more than that. Certainly won't insult OP for caring about their child.

A parent that cares about their child's future and wants to maximize their potential before entering the highest level? I'd say OP is a caring, loving parent that wants the most for their child and good on them!

It seems more so OP has an issue with someone at the gym if they have top level athletes already? I'm not educated enough in gymnastics to comment more than that. Certainly won't insult OP for caring about their child.
I’d say someone should probably cross validate your IP address against, Gabby and the late great Tammy because you all come off in the exact same fanciful self inflated way — though your grammar and spelling is better.

I’d say someone should probably cross validate your IP address against, Gabby and the late great Tammy because you all come off in the exact same fanciful self inflated way — though your grammar and spelling is better.
Irony is that my reply is supportive and quite respectful to the OP, but you've managed to divert away from OP to usher insults. Go ahead, Pet Detective, not sure who they are but if it makes you sleep at night.
OP, keep caring about your child and ignore any hate. Being involved in your child's life when more than 50% of households are single parent and more than 80% of kids go without breakfast is a truly admirable trait that shouldn't be mocked or insulted on some public forum.

Go ahead, Pet Detective, not sure who they are but if it makes you sleep at night.

@BCSimon validates as a unique IP on this site.

Now let's keep everything on topic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back