Parents Should I let her go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IreneKa

Proud Parent
DD(L3) has States on Sunday. Her practice schedule is Monday and Thursday 3 hours each, and Friday - 4 hours, 4:30-8:30. And there is an extra 2-hour practice on Saturday, but because it's an optional practice and costs additional money, she only goes there 1-2 times a month, and she usually doesn't go if she has a meet on Sunday, because I want her to relax the day before a meet.
So, this Friday they have "kids night out" at school. They do this a few times a year, where the kids go to school from 6:30 to 9:00 pm, play games, dance, watch a movie, etc. Originally I told her no, because it's your last practice before States. And it's not like it's the last KNO this year, there will be another one in May. But she really wants to go.
So, I'm thinking maybe she could go to practice from 4:30 to 6:00, and then go on Saturday for additional 2 hours? The problem is, because of the rotation schedule, if she only goes for 1.5 hour on Friday, she will only be able to work on floor, and maybe vault. And on Saturday they only work bars, vault, and some tumbling on the floor (the beam coach is not there on Saturdays). So, she won't be able to work on beam, and that's an event that she could use some extra work on.
What should I do? Would you let your DD go to this school thing, or insist on going to practice?

For me, I would leave it up to DD. Level 3 isn't high enough in importance IMO to stop regular kid stuff. I know my dd would rather be at the gym, so it wouldn't even be an issue, but I would let her do the school thing if she chose to. By the time they get to states they have the skills down, or they don't.

Yeah, I'd let her decide, especially at L3. Remind her that if she chooses the KNO, then she won't get a chance to practice beam that last time, but if she doesn't seem to care, then I think that sounds OK.

MILgymFAM is right, one more practice at this stage is unlikely to make much impact. I'd only be concerned if she had been really really close to making some milestone on beam that she has been hoping for (like getting than 9 that she needs to move up or something), and the extra practice might psychologically help. If not, then probably fine to miss.

my 2 c! Best,
s

Thanks!
She says she wants to spend time with her school friends. But I know she will be very disappointed if she doesn't place well at States. She had a meet this past weekend, and scored 9.0 on beam (her first 9 on this event), which is good, but probably not enough to place at States. I know she can do better than she did, I've seen her do better routines at practices. So, hard to tell if one extra practice would help het or not.

In reality, one more beam session will probably make very little difference at this point. My only concern would be if missing the Friday night practice would been seen as a snub by the coach - if the coach makes a point of ensuring everyone attends last practices before a competition (especially States), then I would stress this commitment to your DD over the school outing.

If the coach really isn't going to care if she misses all or half a practice on Friday, then, I don't see any reason not to let DD take an evening off.

I would not allow my dd to miss practice the week before States, unless it was for a once in a lifetime activity that she would not have the opportunity to do again (like a graduation, wedding, etc....). Her coaches would absolutely not allow it either, and dd would never even consider missing practice the week before a meet for an optional school activity. Our coaches would probably not let the child compete in States if they missed practice right before States for something "fun" like that, and they would question the girl's commitment to the team. The state championship is what they work all year for - the highlight of the season - at least at our gym!

I would have her to gym. Especially since it is not the last kno at school. It is the last practice before State and in my opinion pretty important. My DD also has State this weekend and we have been talking about doing everything she can so she has no regrets. Good luck with ur decision.

Our gym is flexible with events like school concerts, plays, dances, but you can't miss the last practice before a meet. They usually do "meet hair" and a meet run through, talk about their goals, etc.
What would her coach say?

Our coaches are pretty laid back about things like this. But we can certainly ask them on Thursday. If the coach says no, at least it will be because the coach said no, and not me being a mean mom. :)

If it were my kid, I'd let her go. The coach thing is an issue though. It depends how strict they are, if there's a policy against it, etc. To my mind, She either knows it or she doesn't, big picture, the resentment from not getting to do fun stuff with friends will stand out in her mind more than the potentially slightly lower score. For my kid, intrinsic motivation is a big issue. I want her to want to be at gym, not to just go because she has to. That said, we almost never skip. But if it is a huge issue to her, I'd consider it.

DD(L3) has States on Sunday. Her practice schedule is Monday and Thursday 3 hours each, and Friday - 4 hours, 4:30-8:30. And there is an extra 2-hour practice on Saturday, but because it's an optional practice and costs additional money, she only goes there 1-2 times a month, and she usually doesn't go if she has a meet on Sunday, because I want her to relax the day before a meet.
So, this Friday they have "kids night out" at school. They do this a few times a year, where the kids go to school from 6:30 to 9:00 pm, play games, dance, watch a movie, etc. Originally I told her no, because it's your last practice before States. And it's not like it's the last KNO this year, there will be another one in May. But she really wants to go.
So, I'm thinking maybe she could go to practice from 4:30 to 6:00, and then go on Saturday for additional 2 hours? The problem is, because of the rotation schedule, if she only goes for 1.5 hour on Friday, she will only be able to work on floor, and maybe vault. And on Saturday they only work bars, vault, and some tumbling on the floor (the beam coach is not there on Saturdays). So, she won't be able to work on beam, and that's an event that she could use some extra work on.
What should I do? Would you let your DD go to this school thing, or insist on going to practice?

it's only level 3. let her decide. don't sweat the small stuff. :)

I'm betwixt. My daughter is level 3 and had trouble with beam this level. She finally made a 9 in her last meet and was ecstatic. She has a meet this weekend, and I'm doing everything I can to help her do it again. for her it's a HUGE confidence thing and I want to end the season (this is her last meet in L3) feeling good. So, because of my situation, I would have my daughter go to practice. But, last season/level, I kind of let her do whatever she wanted on the Friday nights before meets.

I agree with checking with the coach, and going by what he/she says. That way, you're off the hook.

And possibly think of reprecussions this way: if she skips practice for KNO, and doesn't place, she may regret it, and there's no way to fix it. If she skips KNO and doesn't place, she may feel like she might as well have gone to KNO... but that can be fixed by promising her to go to the next one.

Good luck, regardless!!!!!!!!

Nope. I wouldn't let her go. Any other week, fine, but not the week of states. Although level 3 is "small potatoes" she is a part of a team, and her performance reflects on her coaches and her gym, as well as her individually. She will be looking back on this year's State meet through the entire coming year. The feeling of doing her best at State will stay with her much longer than one fun night with friends.

Little ones don't understand that fatigue, overstimulation, nerves etc. really do effect performance. Send her to the gym, get her lots of rest, and lots of healthy food.

So, I talked to the coaches yesterday. The floor\beam coach wasn't happy about this, but not totally against, even promised that she would try to rearrange the schedule, so they would get to the beam sooner. I also talked to the bars\vault coach, told him that we might skip Friday, but I will bring her on Saturday. He said, it would be better if you bring her on Friday AND Saturday. LOL I know, her bars skills still need some work too.
So, then after the practice I had another talk with DD and kind of convinced\bribed her into skipping KNO and going to practice. :)
Now I'm thinking, should I still make her go on Saturday? It's an extra practice, usually only 3-4 girls are there. She gets more one-on-one time with the coach. But it also means that she has to work harder, so she is often very sore after Saturday practice. And she gets rips a lot, because they spend more time than usual on bars. Wouldn't want her to be all sore Sunday morning.

So, I talked to the coaches yesterday. The floor\beam coach wasn't happy about this, but not totally against, even promised that she would try to rearrange the schedule, so they would get to the beam sooner. I also talked to the bars\vault coach, told him that we might skip Friday, but I will bring her on Saturday. He said, it would be better if you bring her on Friday AND Saturday. LOL I know, her bars skills still need some work too.
So, then after the practice I had another talk with DD and kind of convinced\bribed her into skipping KNO and going to practice. :)
Now I'm thinking, should I still make her go on Saturday? It's an extra practice, usually only 3-4 girls are there. She gets more one-on-one time with the coach. But it also means that she has to work harder, so she is often very sore after Saturday practice. And she gets rips a lot, because they spend more time than usual on bars. Wouldn't want her to be all sore Sunday morning.

I'm sure the coaches will go "easy" on the girls, meaning NO strength and conditioning. At this point they will probably just be running routines, and reinforcing the little important details.

Even if she were sore Sunday, the adrenaline and energy of State will help her power through :)

Good luck!!!!!!!

She din't go to KNO, and she did horribly at States, especially on beam. Oh well, there will be another KNO next month, and there will be another States next year.
But thanks for asking. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back