Should I quit gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

A.M.D

I have been doing gymnastics for about nine years now (I’m 14). I was going to compete level 7 last year but I injured my elbow. I moved to Xcel after that season was over (which I didn’t compete in) and now I am supposed to compete as a diamond. My level 7 coaches said that I could stay with that group if I wanted to but I felt like it would be better and easier on my body to move to Xcel. Xcel hasn’t been any easier though. My Xcel coach knows that I came from level 7 so she wants me to do the hard skills from level 7 in my Xcel routines. She pushes me harder than anyone else in that group because she knows that that’s what I was used to but the whole reason I moved to Xcel was to give my body a break (and have more fun since I wasn’t really enjoying gymnastics in level 7). I have tried talking to her about it but nothing seems to work.
I have a meet coming up this weekend and she has changed my series on beam three times this week to harder skills. And my vault too! I already hate competing and it just makes me even more scared to compete new and harder skills that I have only worked on for two days! It is really stressing me out!
Gymnastics causes me so much stress and anxiety and I want to quit but I feel like I will miss it. I like doing simple things like easy skills on floor or beam but if I quit I won’t have the chance to do that. I also have so many friends there that I have grown up with (especially in the level 7 group) that I feel like I will lose and won’t be as close with if I leave and don’t see them as often. I have just moved schools at the beginning of the school year (from 8th to high school ) and I don’t know anyone. I have trouble making friends and school has been really tough which just adds to my stress and anxiety.
I have been thinking about quiting for a while but if I choose to, I won’t be able to until the end of the season (sometime in June) because I have already committed to this year but I am always in so much pain and fear that I don’t know if I can make it that long. I’ve been doing gymnastics for basically all my life and I don’t know what I would do if I quit. It’s the only sport I’ve ever done and sometimes I still like it when I have good days but I always dread going to practice and always think about quiting. And I can’t move gyms because there aren’t any close to me (besides the one I go to right now). It would really help if someone could give me some advice because I really don’t know what to do (and also if anyone has any advice on what I should do for the meet this weekend considering that I don’t have vault or beam and my coach won’t let me scratch). Thanks!

You say you have already talked to your coach - has your parent talked to the coach? It is good that you spoke up for yourself, but if they're not listening it's probably time for mom or dad to get involved - especially if you suspect this is your last season, there's no reason to hate it.

For your safety and the safety of the adults on this board, you must be 16 to join Chalk Bucket. You are banned. Please come back in two years.

This thread is now unlocked so you can leave your helpful replies to the OP. Yes she is underage, yes she is banned, but we know how great this community is at being kind.

Can you go there and coach, or even volunteer your time helping? That would keep you in the loop if you decide you need to be done.

Please try to talk to the coach again, or ask your parents to talk to coach. Ask to meet with her outside of practice and bring your thoughts in writing if it will help you. You were very eloquent here and I would hope if you could get all these thoughts out to her she might see it. I wish, for your sake, she wasn’t being so stubborn but like you said she probably thinks doing the Skills you did in JO is what will keep you in gym.

It sounds like a year of Xcel would be perfect for you if the coach would back off and let you compete the skills you can do safely and without pain or fear. It will allow you to stay connected with your gym friends while you adjust to high school. Even if this is your last year of gymnastics you should be able to go out enjoying the sport when that option is there. Whether you discover the passion for gym again and continue through high school or decide this is your last hurrah, you deserve the chance to be done with gymnastics on your own terms.

I thought you expressed yourself beautifully in your post. I would suggest printing out your post, and sharing it with your parents. Then, ask for a meeting with your coach and bring both your written post, and your parents with you. I would hope after reading it, a discussion between all of you could provide a reasonable solution that would lead to your happiness. I hope you are able to find the balance and freedom that you are looking for to be able to enjoy the sport again.

Ok. IF the coach isn't listening that you want to do the skills you find easier and is trying to change your skills this close to the meet, try getting your parents to help you talk to the coach again. If that isn't possible or doesn't work either, don't sweat it. Compete what YOU want to compete. Do the acro YOU are comfortable with. Do the vault YOU are prepared to do. I don't think your coach will cause a scene AT the meet with all those eyes watching. And once the meet is over, you can - in front of your parents and teammates, let the coach know that you are in Xcel so you can do gymnastics that is fun ... and not as hard on your body. If you wanted to be doing the harder stuff, you would be competing Level 7.
Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back