Should I quit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sophiibear

Gymnast
I’ve been going to cheer tumble classes for an hour a week for about 3.5 months. Additionally, I’ve been going to privates for 30 minutes on sundays about 2 weeks ago. I’m still working on kickovers, and I keep losing them. Is this normal?

There really is no "normal" when it comes to the rate of progression in gymnastics. It varies so much. However you should be making more-or-less continual progress, however slow. By that I mean that while it is normal to have setbacks there should be a definite and persistent trend of improvement.

Bridge kickovers are very hard if you don't have a great bridge. A key factor for that is shoulder flexibility, and improving flexibility requires a lot of persistence and frequent training because you're essentially trying to reprogramme your central nervous system. If you aren't working on your shoulder flexibility outside of your regular classes progress is going to be seriously slow.

Agreed. The best thing you can do is continue to practice at home.
By no means is your progress slow, because everyone improves at different rates. It took me a solid 4 months to get my KO, and a month after that to get it consistent, and this is with daily practice at home.
Stick to it and you will be there in no time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back