WAG should i quit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i am currently in gymnastics as a second year level 9. i would train this summer and be a level 10 next year but i’m not sure if i want to continue. this season i wasn’t able to compete because of a stress fracture in my back and a concussion. now i dread going to practice and enjoy my teammates more than the actual sport itself. i have also been having a lot of problems with my coaches. i don’t want to move gyms because i feel like i would be betraying my gym now since i have been there since i was 2 years old. i have always told myself i will be a college gymnast but now i’m not so sure. gymnastics has been a huge part of my life and i’m not sure if i would regret quitting but i also don’t enjoy it as much as i used to and am losing my love for it. i also want to have a life which i can’t right now because i train 25+ hours a week. i want to be able to say i was a level 10 but not sure if i want to stay for another year just to be able to say that. being out for my injuries this year, i have missed my team but not really the sport and i’m not sure if i only want to quit becuase it’s been a rough year or if i actually should quit. please help me i don’t know what to do

What would you do if you quit? Do you have something else you're passionate about or really want to try? I would say only YOU can decide if it's your time to quit, but I recommend finding something else to learn or do. If college gym isn't your future, it doesn't mean you have to quit, all that matters is whether you are still enjoying it, and it sounds like that might not be the case anymore. Look at your life without gymnastics - what do you see yourself doing?

What would you do if you quit? Do you have something else you're passionate about or really want to try? I would say only YOU can decide if it's your time to quit, but I recommend finding something else to learn or do. If college gym isn't your future, it doesn't mean you have to quit, all that matters is whether you are still enjoying it, and it sounds like that might not be the case anymore. Look at your life without gymnastics - what do you see yourself doing?
well i used to be a soccer player and my whole family does that so i would probably go back to it. but i’m not sure because i’m already going to be a sophomore next year and i kind of want to do a sport in college but i fear it’s too late to get good enough to play soccer in college and i’m not sure how good i would be since i haven’t played since i was little

well i used to be a soccer player and my whole family does that so i would probably go back to it. but i’m not sure because i’m already going to be a sophomore next year and i kind of want to do a sport in college but i fear it’s too late to get good enough to play soccer in college and i’m not sure how good i would be since i haven’t played since i was little
You can play any number of sports in college (including gymnastics) without being “good enough”. Club sports in college are a great way to make friends and stay fit. Sports aren’t the only (or best) way to get scholarships, and it could be amazing to do something just for the fun of it. I hope you’ve spoken to your parents and/or your coach about how you’re feeling? I would say your injuries are most likely a part of it, regardless if the passion is still there or not.

You can play any number of sports in college (including gymnastics) without being “good enough”. Club sports in college are a great way to make friends and stay fit. Sports aren’t the only (or best) way to get scholarships, and it could be amazing to do something just for the fun of it. I hope you’ve spoken to your parents and/or your coach about how you’re feeling? I would say your injuries are most likely a part of it, regardless if the passion is still there or not.
okay thank you so much:) and yes i have talked to them but they just say to do what i think is best and it’s up to me but i’m just really bad at making decisions

I have learned in my 50 years to never quit anything when that thing is going poorly. I find it better to fight through and at least get to a place of normal before making a decision. If you still want to quit when things are on the upswing chances are its the right thing to do. I know gymnastics makes my suggestion difficult because training is very hard and demanding. It is just something to think about.

You are young and you should be very proud of yourself for accomplishing what you have in your gymnastics career. Whatever you decide to do be aware that the decision does not define you, you are the only one that can define what @fliptasticc truly is. Think it through, make a pro and con list, do not decide hastily and whatever you decide to do be sure it is your decision and made for all the right reasons.

Good luck with your decision

If you want to do a sport in college, try diving. Gymnasts typically have an easier time learning dives because they already know some of the positions. My DD went from gymnastics to diving her junior year in high school. She graduates this week and will be diving on a D1 college team. She loved the fact that she didn't have to spend as many hours training as she did in gymnastics and it was a lot easier on her body. She started with her high school team so she didn't do outside training at first. When she realized that she loved the sport, she then started lessons with a club team. After this season, she was asked which sport she preferred, her immediate answer was diving.

Is it possible for you to take a break or not do as many hours? Take some off the pressure off before making the harsh decision. Whatever you do, think it through thoroughly. You don't want to regret it later in life. Otherwise maybe switching gyms would be the best thing. You (and your parents) are paying costumers. If you feel this gym has too much hours and there is a lower hour gym close, you should take your money elsewhere. And leaving a gym doesn't mean seeing your teammates ever again.

If you do want another sport, lots on here have gone to diving and pole vaulting

And of course you can start coaching to stay involved

I wish I could help you find clarity, but I do not have any suggestions or advice.

However, I could not read your post without saying good luck to you in whatever you decide. <3

Is it possible for you to take a break or not do as many hours? Take some off the pressure off before making the harsh decision. Whatever you do, think it through thoroughly. You don't want to regret it later in life. Otherwise maybe switching gyms would be the best thing. You (and your parents) are paying costumers. If you feel this gym has too much hours and there is a lower hour gym close, you should take your money elsewhere. And leaving a gym doesn't mean seeing your teammates ever again.

Agree with the balded part and was just going to suggest the same. Take a break for maybe a month or two and then see how you feel. Do you miss it and can't wait to go back, or you feel relieved and excited to do all the things you never had time to do before? That would be your answer.

I think a break of a month or two and all you would feel is relief, but you still might regret it a few years down the line. You've done so much work to get to where you are, and you might regret not putting in the last bit to get to where you always pictured yourself. I agree with John, and would advise to wait until you are competing and training as normal, and then make a decision, if possible. If you go for months/a year and still aren't enjoying it, then I suppose it's time to accept that maybe you won't get to that stage, so then the decision would make itself. Good luck in whatever you choose.

If you do want another sport, lots on here have gone to diving and pole vaulting

And of course you can start coaching to stay involved
my gyms contract is a year long one we have to sign at the end of june so i can’t take a few months off. but yea maybe i just have been at this gym since i was 2 and can’t see myself switching

First, congrats at being a Level 9 gymnast - that is a huge accomplishment! You should be proud of yourself for everything you've accomplished in this sport, even if you never make it to Level 10. There are very few people in the world who can do what you do.

Secondly, the decision to leave the sport has to be a personal choice, and nobody can tell you what you should do here. I agree with John, you shouldn't make a snap decision when you're upset. You mentioned you've been having problems with your coaches? What's going on? Do you have a coach that you could schedule a meeting with and talk about your feelings? Maybe if your coaches know what you're struggling with they can help you come up with a solution.

First, congrats at being a Level 9 gymnast - that is a huge accomplishment! You should be proud of yourself for everything you've accomplished in this sport, even if you never make it to Level 10. There are very few people in the world who can do what you do.

Secondly, the decision to leave the sport has to be a personal choice, and nobody can tell you what you should do here. I agree with John, you shouldn't make a snap decision when you're upset. You mentioned you've been having problems with your coaches? What's going on? Do you have a coach that you could schedule a meeting with and talk about your feelings? Maybe if your coaches know what you're struggling with they can help you come up with a solution.
thank you!! and yes i’ve tried talking to them but nothing seems to changing with them so i don’t know if it ever will

A couple of thoughts. Have an honest conversation with yourself.
1. Do you feel like you would be quitting or retiring? If you see it as quitting maybe you feel you have more you want to achieve (either at your current gym or at a new one). If you see it as retiring, maybe you have achieved your goals (not somebody else's) and are ready to move on happily to the next stage of your life.

2. Imagine you have made the decision to finish and try it on for a couple of days/a week. Are you upset or do you feel a sense of relief? If you are really upset about stopping and second guessing your decision it probably isn't time yet. If you feel a sense of relief it sounds like you might be done.

Nobody else can make this decision for you and they shouldn't. That is the quickest road to regret. Don't let other people's goals or expectations for you affect your decision, you need to make a decision that you are happy with as it is your life and you are the one who has to deal with the consequences.

It sounds like there are issues with your coaches that are leading you to quit rather than the sport itself. (Are the coaches being negative? What is happening? Would it happen at another gym?) Perhaps try a new gym? Even if you have been there since you are 2 if they aren't responsive or willing to work with you than don't feel guilty leaving rather than quitting.

my gyms contract is a year long one we have to sign at the end of june so i can’t take a few months off. but yea maybe i just have been at this gym since i was 2 and can’t see myself switching
Switching can seem overwhelmingly difficult and scary but it can also give you some fresh renewed feelings/perspective for your sport. Do you have a good gym closeby with upper level optionals? Are there gyms that have a different philosophy?
Don't think that since you have been somewhere since you were 2, means you have to stay......maybe its not working anymore.
If you have no other gym options, then perhaps begin another endeavor. (in addition) start thinking of transition- not Quit-
if you end up finding something you love then great, if gymnastics still is better, you will know.
I do agree with the others, dont 'retire' when you are down.

A couple of thoughts. Have an honest conversation with yourself.
1. Do you feel like you would be quitting or retiring? If you see it as quitting maybe you feel you have more you want to achieve (either at your current gym or at a new one). If you see it as retiring, maybe you have achieved your goals (not somebody else's) and are ready to move on happily to the next stage of your life.

2. Imagine you have made the decision to finish and try it on for a couple of days/a week. Are you upset or do you feel a sense of relief? If you are really upset about stopping and second guessing your decision it probably isn't time yet. If you feel a sense of relief it sounds like you might be done.

Nobody else can make this decision for you and they shouldn't. That is the quickest road to regret. Don't let other people's goals or expectations for you affect your decision, you need to make a decision that you are happy with as it is your life and you are the one who has to deal with the consequences.
i have been out injured multiple times this year and every time i feel kind of relieved i dont have to go to practice. and i know i have to make this decision myself but i really am not good at makin. decisions which is why this one is so hard bc it’s such a big one

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back