WAG should i quit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Switching can seem overwhelmingly difficult and scary but it can also give you some fresh renewed feelings/perspective for your sport. Do you have a good gym closeby with upper level optionals? Are there gyms that have a different philosophy?
Don't think that since you have been somewhere since you were 2, means you have to stay......maybe its not working anymore.
If you have no other gym options, then perhaps begin another endeavor. (in addition) start thinking of transition- not Quit-
if you end up finding something you love then great, if gymnastics still is better, you will know.
I do agree with the others, dont 'retire' when you are down.
yes there is another gym i have tried it out and it seems good but i’m just not sure if i can see myself there for the next three years and also if i really want to keep doing it the next three years and then college

It sounds like there are issues with your coaches that are leading you to quit rather than the sport itself. (Are the coaches being negative? What is happening? Would it happen at another gym?) Perhaps try a new gym? Even if you have been there since you are 2 if they aren't responsive or willing to work with you than don't feel guilty leaving rather than quitting.
i feel like my coaches aren’t caring for me as much and also they talk negatively to my teammates behind my back and don’t show me much attention. i’m not sure if i wang to go to another gym though

yes there is another gym i have tried it out and it seems good but i’m just not sure if i can see myself there for the next three years and also if i really want to keep doing it the next three years and then college

You don't need to make that decision now: switching gyms now isn't a commitment to another seven years of gym!

FWIW, I was in a situation where my coach slowly stole my love of my sport from me. I stayed for a long time because I loved my training group and I would have been "alone" age and level-wise with any other local coach. I wanted nothing more than to quit. I felt relief when I gave myself permission to quit. It's a long story, but I was encouraged by other coaches to try to refind my love of my sport, even if that meant leaving their facility. Some of my competitors reached out and encouraged me to stay in the sport. It was rocky - it was day-by-day for a long time - but I found an environment that understood to be patient with athletes who had been abused and gave me time and space to have some fun in the sport with no intention of competing, then decide I wanted to compete just for fun, and then decide that I wanted to be competitive again. I'm really glad that I didn't quit, as much as I wanted to walk away and never think about the sport again. I know that even if I'd moved and realized that it really was time for me to quit, I wouldn't have regretted trying. It sounds like your coaches are creating a toxic environment for you; it's hard to separate that from your love for the actual sport itself while you're in the midst of it.

It's a tough situation. Whatever decision you make, I hope you find peace with it and with gymnastics.

If I were your father I would suggest my previous post to along with this thought about retirement and quiting.
A couple of thoughts. Have an honest conversation with yourself.
1. Do you feel like you would be quitting or retiring? If you see it as quitting maybe you feel you have more you want to achieve (either at your current gym or at a new one). If you see it as retiring, maybe you have achieved your goals (not somebody else's) and are ready to move on happily to the next stage of your life.

2. Imagine you have made the decision to finish and try it on for a couple of days/a week. Are you upset or do you feel a sense of relief? If you are really upset about stopping and second guessing your decision it probably isn't time yet. If you feel a sense of relief it sounds like you might be done.

Nobody else can make this decision for you and they shouldn't. That is the quickest road to regret. Don't let other people's goals or expectations for you affect your decision, you need to make a decision that you are happy with as it is your life and you are the one who has to deal with the consequences.

I would then suggest trying the new gym because of the old gyms treatment of you and the demand for a yearly contract. I would suggest after feeling the environment of the new gym and it's coaches and examining your own feelings after the experience you may have a final Decision.

This decision will not be easy you have done this for most of your life. Don't rush the decision let it happen.

You don't need to make that decision now: switching gyms now isn't a commitment to another seven years of gym!

FWIW, I was in a situation where my coach slowly stole my love of my sport from me. I stayed for a long time because I loved my training group and I would have been "alone" age and level-wise with any other local coach. I wanted nothing more than to quit. I felt relief when I gave myself permission to quit. It's a long story, but I was encouraged by other coaches to try to refind my love of my sport, even if that meant leaving their facility. Some of my competitors reached out and encouraged me to stay in the sport. It was rocky - it was day-by-day for a long time - but I found an environment that understood to be patient with athletes who had been abused and gave me time and space to have some fun in the sport with no intention of competing, then decide I wanted to compete just for fun, and then decide that I wanted to be competitive again. I'm really glad that I didn't quit, as much as I wanted to walk away and never think about the sport again. I know that even if I'd moved and realized that it really was time for me to quit, I wouldn't have regretted trying. It sounds like your coaches are creating a toxic environment for you; it's hard to separate that from your love for the actual sport itself while you're in the midst of it.

It's a tough situation. Whatever decision you make, I hope you find peace with it and with gymnastics.
wow that’s fantastic you found your love again! and yea i think it is a toxic environment and the gym i tried out at is the only other good one in the area i would go to so it’s either that or completely quit

If I were your father I would suggest my previous post to along with this thought about retirement and quiting.

I would then suggest trying the new gym because of the old gyms treatment of you and the demand for a yearly contract. I would suggest after feeling the environment of the new gym and it's coaches and examining your own feelings after the experience you may have a final Decision.

This decision will not be easy you have done this for most of your life. Don't rush the decision let it happen.
yea that might be what i end up doing but i’m still not sure yet. the other gym was a positive environment i’m just not sure if i want to continue

yea that might be what i end up doing but i’m still not sure yet. the other gym was a positive environment i’m just not sure if i want to continue

I would suggest trying the other gym for 2-3 months if that is an option? I would think at that point it would be apparent if it’s just your current gym situation or if you are truly finished with the sport. I think either option is ok, but would hate for you to look back and regret not at least trying the other gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back