Parents Should we consider switching gyms due to schedule?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rsm

Proud Parent
Hi everyone,

So this has been on my mind for a while, even though it won't affect us till next fall (I'm a bit of a planner), and would love to hear thoughts from others. If my 5 yo DD continues with gym and moves up to the team in summer, her schedule would change next fall to 2 hours, 4 times a week. For three of those days (Tues, Wed, Thurs) the time would be 6:30 - 8:30 pm. Considering her bedtime right now is 8 pm, this would be really a big change for her since her wake up time for school would be the same. On days she has gym right now, it ends at 7 pm, and she doesn't really settle down to sleep until 8:30, if we're lucky, so I extrapolate to next fall and see her getting to sleep at 10, which I think can't possibly be enough sleep for her for 3 days a week, every week.

Now, the gym she is at right now, is a well known gym that produces Elite gymnasts, and is also the closest gym to our house (about 5 mins drive), and she loves her friends and her coaches. She would really not like to change gyms. And I would really prefer she stays where she is. But I'm getting to the point where I think we should be looking at other gyms simply because of the schedule. I'd love to get some feedback and anyone who has gone through this. Am I overthinking this? Will she adjust to a new schedule or will it be too much for her? She will only be in first grade next year, and if she moves up another level at the end of the year, the times are much more reasonable.

Our gym is also one where the lower levels start later. Levels 6-up are done at 7:00 but levels 4 and 5 aren't over until 8:00. I'm happy to have my daughter home earlier, but I'm not quite sure why the little ones end up staying so late. That said, schedules change. Depending on the gym (our last gym, for example), schedules change, sometimes frequently, for no apparent reason, and with very little warning. You could switch to a gym that better fits your daughter's sleep schedule, only to have them change their schedule. Or to have your current gym change their schedule. If you have a great gym five minutes away, count yourself lucky and stick with it. IF it becomes a problem next year, talk to the coaches, talk to the other parents who have dealt with it, etc. Figure it out then. Chances are, your daughter will adjust just fine.

I also second the sentiment that schedules change all the time. If you like her gym for every other reason except for practice schedule- then I'd say stay put.

I think you are wise to consider your dd sleep as important - good for you. I think I would wait though at the moment and see what the year brings. It is a long way ahead. And the schedule may change before that. Or she may choose another sport. a lot could happen in a year. And I hope she has a great year in the gym she is happy at. If she and you find the hours are not right for her next fall you can look round then.

Waiting and seeing is probably a good choice for now. Didn't realize that schedules change that often for team girls. The changes I've seen have only been 30 minutes in either direction for 8-10 girls. I am not-so-secretly hoping that the L4 schedule will change, but I'm sure they have it this way so they can give all the girls enough attention. And it's been like this for a few years. Levels 5-7 practice from 3:30 - 6:30, and level 4 from 6:30 - 8:30. Of course that is if she continues and is doing well enough to continue to L4 in June as they want them to. Since it might be only 9 months of this schedule (the summer schedule has practice during the day :)), we might be able to get through it, and look for somewhere else if it's truly not working out. And I'll talk to the coach to see if we have any other options.

I agree with the others that alot can change between now and next fall. I do applaud you for already thinking about bed times. Having 6 year olds in the gym(or anywhere else)until 8:30pm on school nights is rather late to me. See how things go and do ask the gym about practice times as dd moves up.

4 days a week seems a little excessive for L4, even if it is only 2 hrs. I would much prefer a gym that does 3hrs 3days a wk. that extra day at the gym can be a real problem for families and gymnasts and to do that at the lower levels (and ages) seems counter productive for longevity of families. JMHO

I would definitely be looking at the other options available just so you're informed. I think you have to think about what you want for her- are you willing to let her go elite if she can? College level? Only a few levels? That will help you find the program you want. Depending on your limitations for her, you might not want an elite gym. I know it sounds ridiculous to think of that now but lots of parents know early on that they do not want to (or can't) fund all the way to elite (or even through high school) so why put them in a place where they might catch the bug for high level gymnastics only to crush them with reality down the line? Many parents are willing to let their gymnasts go all the way if they have the talent and drive - in that situation, it is best to start at the best gym you can.

4 days a week seems a little excessive for L4, even if it is only 2 hrs. I would much prefer a gym that does 3hrs 3days a wk. that extra day at the gym can be a real problem for families and gymnasts and to do that at the lower levels (and ages) seems counter productive for longevity of families. JMHO

I would definitely be looking at the other options available just so you're informed. I think you have to think about what you want for her- are you willing to let her go elite if she can? College level? Only a few levels? That will help you find the program you want. Depending on your limitations for her, you might not want an elite gym. I know it sounds ridiculous to think of that now but lots of parents know early on that they do not want to (or can't) fund all the way to elite (or even through high school) so why put them in a place where they might catch the bug for high level gymnastics only to crush them with reality down the line? Many parents are willing to let their gymnasts go all the way if they have the talent and drive - in that situation, it is best to start at the best gym you can.

I guess DD would actually be training less hours overall with 4 days x 2 hours instead of 3 days x 3 hours. The 4th day is Saturday. Seeing that the gym is so close, it's really not an issue for us, if she wants to continue. And I read somewhere that more days, fewer hours is actually preferred for training, but obviously more difficult for families. We initially chose this gym just because it's the closest. I or DH can drop her off, go to the supermarket, go home, cook dinner, help my DS with homework and go back for her. Other parents seem to making much more sacrifices which I probably wouldn't make at this stage just for gymnastics. I think you have a good point about looking at other options anyway.

My goals for her? I have none at this point. Dreams, yes :) goals, no. I think we will be able to support her however far she wants to go with this, and I also don't want to do anything at this point to discourage her, or limit her potential (whatever that may be). But my dilemma will be that while I want her to reach her potential, sleep is very important for little kids, so her schedule is very important to me (maybe too important).

I would wait to see if there is a problem with the schedule. Most kids adjust really easily and you are only 5 min away from the gym so she would be home just intime for bed. Once she knows this she will probably settle in to the routine.

I would also stay where you are and see how it all pans out. My DD is 6 and finishes practice at 8pm. I'd prefer for it to be earlier but it is what it is. I bring dinner in the car and she eats on the drive home. When we get home she get a quick shower and straight into bed. So she's usually in bed by 9pm. She's done pretty well with it. I'd give it a try and go from there. :)

When my little DD was 6 she was training 3 days/wk from 5-8. She was able to finish all of her HW before gym, then come home for a quick meal, shower and straight to bed, usually by 9. School started at 8:55 so in the morning, i would let her sleep until the last possible moment, leaving just enough time to get up, dress and have breakfast - she was usually able to sleep until 8:15-8:20. It worked very well for us. My oldest had a similar schedule although she was 7-turning-8 as a level 4, and a child who required less sleep.

I'd wait it out, for us, scheduling would not be a reason for switching gyms if we were happy with everything else.

Check out any other gyms in your area. See if you know anyone at the other gym, or maybe a family at your gym who's been to the other gym. Good coaching is hard to come by - esp one with a good philosophy. And yours has to obviously match theirs. Some are not as pushy about going to elite, while others are. Some have different goals, will yours support your child going to elite, or persuade you to continue through L10, and go to college? The elite road is highly difficult, competitive and challenging from what I understand. And the expenses of it are very cumbersome on a family. After hearing the differences in the two roads, I've opted for collegiate goals than elite championships. I'd rather have my daughter healthy and strong, than getting hurt and damaged over the years. Not to say that all elite gymnasts are damaged, but I think if you look at the overall program, you'll find a lot more injuries in elite, and they too, some, want the end goal of going to college. Our gym is about 10 minutes away, less than 4 miles, and is a great gym. I've been very fortunate. I didn't seek competition out, it kinda just happened after I thought it would be nice to stick my kid in a one time a week gymnastic program to keep her from jumping all over our furniture. We were lucky that the gym we went to, had a great team program. Before I started there, I thought about going to another gym too, which is also close by, but a friend at our school said they already went to our gym, and encouraged us to go with them, so we did. In the end, it was the best decision, since the other gym I had considered was also good, but I heard they have problems with the owners pressuring the parents to do more, or bully them, and cause unnecessary tensions and stress on both the parents and the girls. A few have fleed and come to our gym since they're only a couple miles apart. Maybe before making the hard decision to move gyms, you can ask the new place if your child can check it out and come in for a week, to meet all the coaches, the girls, and see if its a good fit. At least get one trial class. Most gyms offer that much. It'll give your daughter a chance to check out their equipment, coaching, and see if the girls are just as nice, or if they're not very friendly. I'm sure she'll make lots of friends at the new place if she's friendly herself, and its likely that if its this close, she'll find school friends that are there, or have opportunities to do more outside gym activities. She needs a life outside of gym, and that should be a consideration too when selecting a gym. Even though our practice schedule is demanding, we have Saturdays off, to go do something fun. Its tough for families who can't get to church though on Sundays. But its probably easier finding a church with a flexible schedule, than it is a good gym with one. We have to meet 80% of the practices, so that allows for a few hours off each week if needed, but most good gymnasts are there at least 90% of the practices in a month. Can you devote that to a gym? If you're going to allow your gymnast to take off when she's tired, or when they have too much homework, and when your family has too many things going on, and you're constantly pulling her out of gym, you're only cheating yourself out of the time you're paying for. If you can't make the commitment to any gym, consider something else, because as they get better, and into higher levels, the schedules become more demanding, and that closer gym will start looking a lot better, if its a good gym, you're there every day and you can handle the tuition. This is why there's 40 girls on the Level 4 team, and 4 on the Level 8 team.

I, too, would hold on and see how it goes. Our gym tries to keep practices times the same, but they do change sometimes. (I'm anal--I actually keep the practice calendar from year to year and can see how it changes--weird, huh?)

My perspective on why the younger ones go later than older ones. At our gym the higher level girls are typically older and here their school gets out earlier, so they can start earlier--and get done earlier. The elementary schools here don't get done until 3:40-4:20, so parents actually preferred they start later. I'm sure it's not the same everywhere though!

Glad you found the Chalkbucket! Hope you like it here and find a good community. Not everyone will give you answers you want to hear, but they will give heartfelt advice you may need to hear :)

On the subject of sleeping - well, she's 5 and going to start school now. As she learns to change schedules to accommodate school, its a great time to ease her into the longer days she'll need to get used to. Some kids need the sleep, others dont' need as much. Maybe yours can get a nap in when she gets tired before gym. Be willing to be flexible with your schedule. You're only going a couple hours a day, for a couple days a week now. They do try to accommodate the optional level team members a little earlier, because they need to get home and get their homework done. Some are in high school and have tons of reading and projects to do. When they're off from school on staff development days, they practice earlier, so they can have an evening off. That's when mine catches up on schoolwork. My daughter wasn't in team til she was 8 and a L4, so she was a little older and milking it out to stay awake longer anyhow. Before, it was "aww, a little longer, I'm not sleepy!" Now its "Mom, I'm so tired I want to go to sleep..." and my response is "get your homework done first!" At least when yours comes home, you don't have to deal with homework yet. Enjoy it, the craziness hasn't even begun.

You might want to start working now to lessen the time she needs to settle down and get into bed. If you are only 5 minutes from the gym, what does she do for 1 1/2 hours between the end of practice and sleeping? If you reduce that time little by little she won't have as much trouble with next year's schedule.

You might want to start working now to lessen the time she needs to settle down and get into bed. If you are only 5 minutes from the gym, what does she do for 1 1/2 hours between the end of practice and sleeping? If you reduce that time little by little she won't have as much trouble with next year's schedule.

I will certainly try that. She just takes a while to settle down before she falls asleep. She's usually fed, showered and in bed by 8:15 / 8:30 which is fine, except that she usually falls asleep after 9 when all is said and done. She will obviously be more tired with a later bedtime, but being overtired is not something that works well with her. I'll have to look for ways to help her relax so she can get to sleep faster.

When my little DD was 6 she was training 3 days/wk from 5-8. She was able to finish all of her HW before gym, then come home for a quick meal, shower and straight to bed, usually by 9. School started at 8:55 so in the morning, i would let her sleep until the last possible moment, leaving just enough time to get up, dress and have breakfast - she was usually able to sleep until 8:15-8:20. It worked very well for us. My oldest had a similar schedule although she was 7-turning-8 as a level 4, and a child who required less sleep.

I'd wait it out, for us, scheduling would not be a reason for switching gyms if we were happy with everything else.

8:55 start time would be nice :) DD's school starts at 8:25 and she catches the bus at 8:10 which isn't too bad. So I can let her sleep till 7:30 for the latest. Ironically, the day after gym or a late night is not really so bad, but if she has 3 late nights in a row now, the cumulative effects of lack of sleep are not good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back