Parents Should we switch gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NurseMom

Proud Parent
Hi parents! I’m new here and would like some opinions. My daughter is 5 and has been doing gymnastics for 2 years now. She started off in a preschool rec class, but a year ago received an invite to a special program at her gym. She has been doing this program for almost one year now. The goal is to prepare her for Tops training and team when she turns 7.
In The beginning I was very excited that they saw talent in her, but this class started off with 8 girls ages 3-5, only 4 girls remain from the original 8, but there have been about 10 girls added on that have come and gone and class size is currently 9. I hate to sound like one of those parents but it is very annoying that new girls keep getting added to this invitational class. Many of them do not have the same skill level and coaches need to give them lots of individual attention. We have had younger girls come in this class and cry 4-5 times per class - once again requiring special attention from coaches.
When the program started the head coach told us it would start with 8 and girls would be eliminated. He acted like no one would be added because they would be too far behind and here we are a year later still adding girls. Also, it’s supposed to be a serious class but they only are doing 2 hours a week. My daughter would easily be able to do more. She did gymnastics camp over the summer and loved being there for longer hours.
Sorry to ramble on, but I would like to know what you all think. We have a few other local gyms that we can try. I’m hesitant because my daughter loves her coaches and has made many friends, but I don’t think she’s working up to her potential at this gym. Do you all think we should switch gyms?

@NurseMom My opinion is to let her stay and continue to enjoy her coaches and friends. Your DD is 5 she has all the time in the world to live up to her potential, having fun doing what she loves is what is important at her age. As for her special class, it seems as if all the initial girls left it would be a bad gymnast coach ration unless new kids were added. This class sounds like strength conditioning and basics and as it is invite only it seems that the coach/owner retains the right to invite any gymnast seen worthy. As your DD progresses through gymnastics you and DD will learn the backbone of this sport is training groups these training groups are living breathing creatures themselves. I wish your DD Good luck on HER journey.

Thanks for your input John. I was definitely not trying to sound like a b, but maybe I am . Of course I realize that these other girls are humans, I just question how “serious” this class really is. Ultimately, I will my daughter will decide if she wants to stay at this gym. I just want what is best for her.

I'm wondering why the girls seem to be crying so much during class. Kids at that age certainly cry sometimes, but multiple kids crying 4-5 times a class would be a huge red flag for me. These are preschoolers-- even an intensive TOPS prep group should still be fun for them and not that stressful. In terms of the ones who aren't there anymore, were they asked to leave, or the parents decided it was too much for their kids? Even two hours a week can be too much for a four year old if they're crying throughout those two hours. I'd say look into what's available at those other gyms. There really should be a balance between conditioning/shaping and fostering a love of gymnastics at this age.

@NurseMom You do not sound like a B. I actually forced my daughter to change gyms and governing bodies. She was ten when I did that. I felt it was better for her and it was the only way she could pursue her individual dreams. I know you are the person that knows what is best for your daughter, it is hard to teach young humans consequences, like should we change gyms or not. At DD new gym I have witnessed an entire team of level 7's retire or move. This year I have seen a few level 10's retire and leave the gym in tears. My take away was that this is a hard sport and our children only continue to pursue it because they love it or something that it does for them, inside them. Support your daughter and steer her in the best direction for her all while letting her know it's her sport. Tough task, one I have yet to perfect.

@Flippin'A has some things to think about.

Hi parents! I’m new here and would like some opinions. My daughter is 5 and has been doing gymnastics for 2 years now. She started off in a preschool rec class, but a year ago received an invite to a special program at her gym. She has been doing this program for almost one year now. The goal is to prepare her for Tops training and team when she turns 7.
In The beginning I was very excited that they saw talent in her, but this class started off with 8 girls ages 3-5, only 4 girls remain from the original 8, but there have been about 10 girls added on that have come and gone and class size is currently 9. I hate to sound like one of those parents but it is very annoying that new girls keep getting added to this invitational class. Many of them do not have the same skill level and coaches need to give them lots of individual attention. We have had younger girls come in this class and cry 4-5 times per class - once again requiring special attention from coaches.
When the program started the head coach told us it would start with 8 and girls would be eliminated. He acted like no one would be added because they would be too far behind and here we are a year later still adding girls. Also, it’s supposed to be a serious class but they only are doing 2 hours a week. My daughter would easily be able to do more. She did gymnastics camp over the summer and loved being there for longer hours.
Sorry to ramble on, but I would like to know what you all think. We have a few other local gyms that we can try. I’m hesitant because my daughter loves her coaches and has made many friends, but I don’t think she’s working up to her potential at this gym. Do you all think we should switch gyms?
A few things to consider: She is only 5. The amount of hours sounds about right for her age and this type of training. You don't want her to burn out.
It is common for preteams and special training groups to have vacancies and additions during the course of a year. I'm surprised they have 3 year olds in such a class, though. That seems too young to me.
If there is more than 1 coach for the class, maybe it could be suggested that one coach work with newer members of the group while the other coach continues the training of the more seasoned gymnasts that have been in the class longer so that they don't have to wait for the others to catch up.
And before you do anything else, maybe take your concerns to the owner and have a talk. Maybe they haven't considered that constantly adding girls is hard on the ones who have been in the class the longest.
And above all, try to relax and trust the process. She's very young and has lots of years ahead of her.

Flippin’A - Thanks for your input! Some of the girls are scared of the coach. He’s not really mean but is tough on them . He also makes some parts fun for them.
Most of the girls left by choice. The coach did recommended after about 2 months that the one girl should no longer be in the class because she would always cry. Her replacement came in last week and is crying as well. There have been tears from most of the girls one time or another, but it is rare for the majority of them.

I would suggest first, talk to the coach (arrange a time to have a conversation so it is not rushed and your child is not present) and make sure the program is still what you were told it was- (a pre-team developmental program I am assuming(?) and ask if YOUR child is still on track for team.Sometimes, especially in very early levels, the focus of a program changes for any number of reasons, and parents are not always notified.

In my opinion it is a little strange that they started a program with the stated intention they would make cuts - for a small group of 5 year olds? It just seems odd. Yes, sometimes for various reasons, kids end up being asked to leave team, but I would be a little worried about a gym that is inviting kids into a special program that they are already assuming many of the kids they invite will not be able to handle. So I am wondering if there was a misunderstanding.

You can also share with them that you think your child could do a few more hours and see what they say. But IMO, generally speaking, 4 hours a week would be absolute max for this age.

Even on team, there are often large practice groups, and also there will be kids who need (or anyway, get) more coach attention/focus than the other kids for various reasons. At least that certainly has been our experience with boy's team. If the gym is otherwise a solid team gym with a healthy environment and good coaches, and you want your child to be on team, I think what is most important is how your child is progressing.

Posted before I saw your last. Kids scared of the coach? Hmmm. Red flag.

While I agree that this could possibly be a red flag, not always. My DD was horribly painfully shy (still is very shy!) and at that age, "new"' people scared her. Terrified in fact! She took a LONG time to get used to her preschool teacher (who was the sweetest, least scary individual you could ever meet!). So some of this could be personality or age related. Plus, going from a rec preschool class to an "intense" class could be a tough transition too and very scary. And frankly, some of the conditioning HURTS! So that is scary too! I advise the OP to keep your eye on it, but focus on fun and love of the sport. It is a long road- enjoy this stage!

While I agree that this could possibly be a red flag, not always. My DD was horribly painfully shy (still is very shy!) and at that age, "new"' people scared her. Terrified in fact! She took a LONG time to get used to her preschool teacher (who was the sweetest, least scary individual you could ever meet!). So some of this could be personality or age related. Plus, going from a rec preschool class to an "intense" class could be a tough transition too and very scary. And frankly, some of the conditioning HURTS! So that is scary too! I advise the OP to keep your eye on it, but focus on fun and love of the sport. It is a long road- enjoy this stage!

Yes I get it, that is what I mean when I say red flag, maybe I am using the term incorrectly. I mean, that is a sign there is a possible problem, in this case, with the coach. So, suggest dig deeper.

Yes I get it, that is what I mean when I say red flag, maybe I am using the term incorrectly. I mean, that is a sign there is a possible problem, in this case, with the coach. So, suggest dig deeper.
. Oh ok I get your meaning now. :) I usually say red flag as in “danger danger get out” as opposed to keep an eye on it sort of situations :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back