Shoulder Cap Strain/pain shot--State is tomorrow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kbuhler

Dear Parents:

I have a 9 yr old level 5 son who strained his shoulder cap muscle on Tuesday. The Sports med doctor took xrays, no breaks. He has state tomorrow. He has been off it since then and has iced it. The doctor gave him a pain shot Wed and suggested one before state for pain.

Questions:

Have you ever had a child have a strain? Can you compete on it without injuring it more. We haven't done practices yet. I think it is a grade 1. He's able to put on hoodies, have normal movement, throw a mini basketball etc. We just see some wincing here and there.

Has your child ever taken a shot for pain? Does it make you tired?

Thanks for your advice. Please send prayers.

Well what is in the "shot", I could tell you exactly what the side effects are if you know what it is.

I wouldn't let my kid on gym equipment after having anything stronger than kids tylenol, the risk of injury is too great. It may be a muscle relaxant as well, and then gym would be a really bad plan.

If he hasn't been to the gym only the doctor can say of it is safe and clear, he will know the drug ang whether your DS can put in the hours for State.

Sending some good karma your way.

I personally think 9 is a bit young to be taking a pain killing shot before a meet. If it is that severe of an injury, scratch the events that hurt or the entire meet. He has plenty of time to compete next season after he's healed.

Not sure what kind of injection your son was given or what the doc is talking about doing for a 2nd time. Cortisone injections into the joint are done to reduce inflamation, but I'm not a big fan of them for a child plus they can hurt like crazy for 1-2 days after.

I would ask what your son is being given and if its anything other than Toradol(anti-inflamatory) in the butt, I would say no. Can he just compete a few events? Do you have time to get a little practice in and see what he can do without pain---that may give you and his coaches a better idea of what he could compete or if he even should try it.

0.o

Level 5? 9 years old? A shot for pain?

Am I missing something? As far as I know that's usually cortisone--a steroid, which can cause all sorts of nasties like tendon weakness and fat necrosis (you don't want that. really. it's gross) and muscle weakness and...and...and...

Toradol hurts like crazy to inject, & is an NSAID, so I'd still be making the 0.o face.

As a coach, if any of my compulsory kids were unable to do gymnastics without cortisol (which I am operating under the assumption is what your son got...toradol in my experience is what they give you if you're also throwing up or otherwise can't swallow pills) then they'd not be doing gymnastics till they were healed. They've got a whole lifetime to do that risk vs benifit song and dance. Age 9, level 5 is too early for my taste.

oh boy, the things i read here. a perfect of example of WHAT NOT TO DO. sorry...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back