WAG Shoulder Flexibility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4schnoodle

Proud Parent
Hello everyone! Longtime reader - first time poster here. My 13 year old DD is a new level 6 and has always struggled with shoulder flexibility. Her coaches have told her multiple times that as her flexibility improves her so will her skills. In a recent progress report her coach mentioned that home stretches would help. Now I've sent her to ask her coach specifically what sorts of stretches she should do, but I figured I would confirm what she says with the experts here. Any ideas for "tight shoulders"? Thanks.

I just wanted to add - the main skill she is trying to get is BHS on beam. She gets one hand every time - but says she physically can not get her other hand close enough. She can do them all day on the "fat beam". Multiple coaches are telling her that her problem is shoulder flexibility.

Honestly, I would see if she can get in with a PT. Often the issue is not the shoulders but something related. So there is no one answer fir what she needs to stretch. Also, thecwring atretches can cause damage to the shoulder joint, and not silver her issue.

You can look up a lot if info on the Shift Movement blog. It is written by a PT who is also a gymnastics coach.

Honestly, I would see if she can get in with a PT. Often the issue is not the shoulders but something related. So there is no one answer fir what she needs to stretch. Also, thecwring atretches can cause damage to the shoulder joint, and not silver her issue.

You can look up a lot if info on the Shift Movement blog. It is written by a PT who is also a gymnastics coach.
Thanks for the advise. I definitely don't want her to compound the problem with an injury.

Reactions: sce
I would also reccomend seeing a Physiotherapist. It is often not as simple as just stretching the he shoulders and they will give her exersices to do at home that are specific to her own body, if she does them consistently she should see results.

This video is EXACTLY my kid - terribly arched back. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking for a PT that takes my insurance and will let y'all know.

You're welcome [emoji4]! Mine has a tight upper back, per a through PT evaluation. Coaches still call it "tight shoulders", but her shoulder extension is more than adequate. Have to look at the big picture. Don't start anything to stretch her shoulders in isolation until you have her looked at because you don't want to stretch shoulders in gymnastics that already have good range of motion. That begins to cause problems with shoulder instability (too loose), and in gymnasts you want a very strong and stable shoulder complex for skills and to prevent overuse injuries (growth plate fractures, gymnast wrist, etc.).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back