Shoulder problem with forward rolls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I am an adult who has just joined a Gymnastics program.

I have a strange problem with my left shoulder while doing forward rolls. My left shoulder collapses(internally rotates) when i initiate the roll. How do I correct this?

Well, I'd need a video, but first guesses include: reach out further, look at your belly, make sure your hips are higher than your head when you go to roll (going from your knees, for example, that just will not work).

I'm trying to understand what you mean - are you doing a kind of martial arts style roll over one shoulder? You could try doing them down a wedge - stand with your feet wide apart, put your hands in front of your feet and then look right between your knees, see if you can see the ceiling. It will look ugly and you won't do them this way eventually, but it might help in the beginning to get the feel of rolling straight over the top.

@Coach Goofy
I'll try my best to get a video of me doing it. I understand the technique of the roll. But when i am about to roll over by pushing with the feet, I somehow try to roll over more to the side, with one side bearing more weight than the other.

I'm trying to understand what you mean - are you doing a kind of martial arts style roll over one shoulder? You could try doing them down a wedge - stand with your feet wide apart, put your hands in front of your feet and then look right between your knees, see if you can see the ceiling. It will look ugly and you won't do them this way eventually, but it might help in the beginning to get the feel of rolling straight over the top.

No, But I was doing the martial arts/parkour kind of rolls earlier. Hence, when i do the standard gymnastics forward roll, i have a tendency to roll over to the side. My coach says that i let my left shoulder loose when i roll over. I try my best to stop this.

Does your gym have a nice big wedge? Stand with your feet wide apart and put your hands in front, also quite wide. Put your butt in the air and look between your legs at the ceiling. You should just roll straight over the top. Once your brain gets used to that, you can gradually work towards a more normal forward roll. If you start going off-centre again, go back a few steps to retrain your brain to go straight again.

Hi, I am an adult who has just joined a Gymnastics program.

I have a strange problem with my left shoulder while doing forward rolls. My left shoulder collapses(internally rotates) when i initiate the roll. How do I correct this?

by chance are you Chiteshmbajaj's brother? chess or tennis anyone?:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back