MAG Shoulder

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I have a question for those in the know.

D was doing a stockli on the pommel last night, fell off, but didn't let go with one hand. As best i Can tell from the description, he kind of "jammed" it. I don't think he pulled it. It did hurt (tears, ice). Coach said not to come to work out if it was still hurting.

I am debating goign ahead and getting in checked versus waiting a few days. THis morning he says it still hurts, but not as bad. Still taking ibuprofen. Only raises arm about to shoulder height, but seems to be fine otherwise.

Parents? Coaches? Thoughts??

If it were my ds I would probably wait a couple of days to take him in since he says it feels a little better and he's able to lift it some. Ice and ibuprofen each day and rest it until it either feels totally better or you see the doctor. I hope it's just a strain and that it gets better fast! At least now is a great time to be injured. There's lots of time to heal at this time of the year :)

wait 72 hours for this one. that's a common mistake. it's probably nothing. :)

Thanks guys. I am hoping you are right. He went to workout tonight. DId some back fulls and front tucks with straight arms for once! It was kind of nice! Got his splits all down, and did the bike. I told him tomorrow would be a day off unless it is 100%. It doesn't seem to hurt, but he never complains about anything so I am trying to take it seriously.

Saw a PT yesterday at gym. She thinks he compressed the tendon that runs along the back part of the shoulder blade. It only hurts when he compresses it more (think moving back or raising a certain way) He has been able to do some things like roundoffs with BT, BL, BP, and front lays, yurchenkos, and ironically, Pommel. He is really frustrated watchign his friends get new skills as he conditions or stretches. They have an exhibition tomorrow night, which has him the most frustrated. He just wants to do everything and get thru the pain, and then take a few days off afterward. But I think the coach and I will put an end to that.

Ugh, grumpy gymnasts who can't practice! I hope he will take a little time off and let it heal, and that it only takes a short while to resolve!

So, tonight showed how it really is. He can do Pommel, and the other things, but even hanging on HB or Rings hurt :( He is going to do the exhibition tomorrow night, doing his pommel, a vault (not too sure about this one) and the B tramp routine from future stars. His coach has done a great job of makign sure he can be involved, so he is happier. WE are not sure if we are going in tomorrow to the doc, or giving it the weekend. :( I hate seeing him so frustrated!

Well, he did the expo on Friday, and the vault was really good, but hurt. We are making him take this week off, as the coach is at nationals anyway, so we might as well take it off. He is not happy. We have a referral to the orthopedic doc, but are planning to wait a few more days. He doesn't seem to be in pain unless it moves a certain way (backward)

I hate trying to figure out whether or not he should go in. We know they will want an MRI and that is a lot of $$. but if he needs it, we will do it. I just don't want to do something when he doesn't need it.

They all hate to take time off. But it will help. Mine is recovering from a virus and fighting my "you need to eat 3 meals a day, 3 days in a row before you go back to practice". Hope his shoulder feels better soon!

I like that rule :) So many kids try to go back too fast!

It is a good week to miss so he is on board. I told him he can do splits and core but that was it. Ice, Ibuprofen. We are still thinking about taking him in, but are trying to figure it out first.

thanks guys. he has never had a set-back like this. Any other body part and he could be doing something. But for now, he is on IR :)

D came downstairs tonight in tears. When I asked him waht was wrong, he said "What if I never get to go back to gym??"

And this is after a total of 2 days off...sigh. By Friday he should be a wreck! He goes to the Ortho on Thursday, so we will know more then.

So, the verdict is a strained rotator cuff. 2-3 weeks out, then therapy to strengthen. He has already been out a week, so I told him we can go back when it is feeling better. He is so sad. Hopefully it will fly by!

Not great news but at least now you know. Hopefully his patience will hold up and allow it to heal completely so he can have a great summer of training. My husband has dealt with a lot of rotator cuff injuries- they are no fun and will not heal without rest! And yes- he fights me on not going to workout just like our kids do on going to the gym.

Poor guy! On the other hand, it must be a relief to have a diagnosis and to know that it's not a catastrophic injury. One thing I'll say about gymnasts, having seen my daughter through rehabbing an injury -- they are VERY good about doing physio exercises! I would guess you and his coaches won't have any trouble getting him to comply with the strengthening exercise regime. And of course, there's always core work and flexibility while he's waiting it out. All good thoughts to you and him for the next looooooong 1-2 weeks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back