Parents Shy (but talented)dd

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AGymDad

Proud Parent
Hi,
I want to share/vent my experience with my dd.
She is 6 year old and doing her first year of gymnastics with a recreational group (she did a year of preschool dancing before. She liked it, but decided that is was not for her). She is very energetic and flexible, so I thought it would be a good match.
She only trains 2hrs a week. While she likes it that I watch, I usually only see the last 30 minutes, but sometimes I look at the whole training (usually due to external circumstances).
One of her problems is that she is very shy to strangers, and takes a while before she gets warmed up. Gymnastics helped her to build some confidence because she found something she is good at, but it also created some other issues.
The problem is that she sometimes gets transferred from group to group (later I noticed she moved up each time). She had a friend that moved together with her, so it wasn't that bad. The teachers also rotate all the time between groups, so no big difference there. With the recreationals, they have colored ribbons to identify in wich group they train. Quite straightforward and easy for her. These groups train at a different pace (but it is not communicated which group is higher or lower). This settled after 3 months in the "strongest" recreational group.
Once I noticed at the end of the training, that she was again in another group and was a bit uncomfortable, but afterwards no colored ribbon. I didn't make anything of it, and she trained in her normal group next time. I now know this group was the a-group (or pre team). They train the same hours, but make better use of their time, and have fixed coaches, and have no ribbons.

Month 4: she was second in the gym championship (recreational group). Being second between children doing gymnastics since préschool is quite good I think, so, a proud daddy.
Month 5: she started to do backbend kickovers (seems something all coaches came to look at, because they don't learn it there). She also seems to execute cartwheels, headstands,... in a more advanced form than her group.
Month 8: The teachers of the a-group start to teach my dd's group. The a-group does tryouts with the entry-team (and some kids from the entry-team do tryouts on a higher level team). They start doing some harder stuff. The week after, she suddenly can do back walkovers. The week after that, front walkovers.
Month 9: six girls in the first and second grade (including my dd) do a tryout with the headcoach of the entry-team. My dd is seperated from the group and asked to show her walkovers (at the time she starts doing them like they look easy).

I'm very happy with the gym and the coaches from the recreational group. They communicate very well and are always there for questions, but there seems to be a communication block between the two. We get no information why or how these tryouts are organized or what they are going to do (or even ask if we are interested)

Now, last training, the "shy" problem started again. During the warmup dance (in the recreational group, they stretch during a dance), a coach from the a-group picked her out (only her) and brought her to the a-group/entry-team. They are discussing about papers while my dd is still waiting there. They instruct the entry-team to go to the beam, but my dd is still waiting there. She is too shy to ask, and the coaches didn't notice her. She almost started crying, but a recreational coaches brought her back to the normal group. Another parent (probably from an a-group kid) gave me the mail adres from the coach to talk about this. After this incident my dd didn't talk about gymnastics for 3 days (not normal for her), but then she remarked that she wanted to train with that team, but didn't know what to do.
I understand that my dd is very shy, but I do find this unacceptable. I talked to the recreational head coach, and she agrees but they seem unaware what the team coaches are planning. I also send a email to the team coach about this incident (I was quite polite, just indicating something went wrong, and asking that if they get my dd out of the group, to do this in a softer way), but got no reply back.

I'm very close to asking to stop this "picking my dd from the group" completely, as I'm also happy that my dd stays in the recreational group, but I'm still stopped by my dd asking to do more advanced stuff (also a policy from the mother: do your stuff at the gym, not at home).
I don't know if they will pick her out again the next 2 lessons (end of season after that). If not this might again dissapoint my dd.

If I look at what she does, she is certainly the queen of the floor in her age group. E.g. only 1 girl of the a-group can sometimes to a back walkover, front walkovers out of the question, while my dd does them and make them seem as easy as walking. Bar and beam are at similar level to what the girls in the a-group do.

They are doing a club barbecue this weekend... Maybe I can get some more info there.

Honestly I think the majority of kids are shy and uncertain in new situations. They're taught over and over to never question adults and then we wonder why they don't question the adult when they don't know what to do! If the kid is already the shy type, it's a catch-22 they can't win.

Your daughter will probably be perfectly fine once they settle her where they plan on putting her. And it sounds to me like they are making the move to pre-team for her which is where SHE wants to be (if she's been asking for harder skills and enjoys the challenge). In the meantime, I would be blunt with her rec coach (the person who actually oversees her class) that all this back-and-forth is negatively affecting your daughter and you would prefer she remain in her class until such a time as she moved up.

This is also a great time to practice respectful ways to ask an adult what she should be doing. A little role-play may help - if not now, certainly later. Shyness doesn't really ever go away, you just learn ways to deal with it. Good luck!

This is also a great time to practice respectful ways to ask an adult what she should be doing. A little role-play may help - if not now, certainly later. Shyness doesn't really ever go away, you just learn ways to deal with it. Good luck!
We had a time when DD was afraid to ask. I had to give her ideas/ways to ask what she should be doing.

Hi,
I want to share/vent my experience with my dd.
She is 6 year old and doing her first year of gymnastics with a recreational group (she did a year of preschool dancing before. She liked it, but decided that is was not for her). She is very energetic and flexible, so I thought it would be a good match.
She only trains 2hrs a week. While she likes it that I watch, I usually only see the last 30 minutes, but sometimes I look at the whole training (usually due to external circumstances).
One of her problems is that she is very shy to strangers, and takes a while before she gets warmed up. Gymnastics helped her to build some confidence because she found something she is good at, but it also created some other issues.
The problem is that she sometimes gets transferred from group to group (later I noticed she moved up each time). She had a friend that moved together with her, so it wasn't that bad. The teachers also rotate all the time between groups, so no big difference there. With the recreationals, they have colored ribbons to identify in wich group they train. Quite straightforward and easy for her. These groups train at a different pace (but it is not communicated which group is higher or lower). This settled after 3 months in the "strongest" recreational group.
Once I noticed at the end of the training, that she was again in another group and was a bit uncomfortable, but afterwards no colored ribbon. I didn't make anything of it, and she trained in her normal group next time. I now know this group was the a-group (or pre team). They train the same hours, but make better use of their time, and have fixed coaches, and have no ribbons.

Month 4: she was second in the gym championship (recreational group). Being second between children doing gymnastics since préschool is quite good I think, so, a proud daddy.
Month 5: she started to do backbend kickovers (seems something all coaches came to look at, because they don't learn it there). She also seems to execute cartwheels, headstands,... in a more advanced form than her group.
Month 8: The teachers of the a-group start to teach my dd's group. The a-group does tryouts with the entry-team (and some kids from the entry-team do tryouts on a higher level team). They start doing some harder stuff. The week after, she suddenly can do back walkovers. The week after that, front walkovers.
Month 9: six girls in the first and second grade (including my dd) do a tryout with the headcoach of the entry-team. My dd is seperated from the group and asked to show her walkovers (at the time she starts doing them like they look easy).

I'm very happy with the gym and the coaches from the recreational group. They communicate very well and are always there for questions, but there seems to be a communication block between the two. We get no information why or how these tryouts are organized or what they are going to do (or even ask if we are interested)

Now, last training, the "shy" problem started again. During the warmup dance (in the recreational group, they stretch during a dance), a coach from the a-group picked her out (only her) and brought her to the a-group/entry-team. They are discussing about papers while my dd is still waiting there. They instruct the entry-team to go to the beam, but my dd is still waiting there. She is too shy to ask, and the coaches didn't notice her. She almost started crying, but a recreational coaches brought her back to the normal group. Another parent (probably from an a-group kid) gave me the mail adres from the coach to talk about this. After this incident my dd didn't talk about gymnastics for 3 days (not normal for her), but then she remarked that she wanted to train with that team, but didn't know what to do.
I understand that my dd is very shy, but I do find this unacceptable. I talked to the recreational head coach, and she agrees but they seem unaware what the team coaches are planning. I also send a email to the team coach about this incident (I was quite polite, just indicating something went wrong, and asking that if they get my dd out of the group, to do this in a softer way), but got no reply back.

I'm very close to asking to stop this "picking my dd from the group" completely, as I'm also happy that my dd stays in the recreational group, but I'm still stopped by my dd asking to do more advanced stuff (also a policy from the mother: do your stuff at the gym, not at home).
I don't know if they will pick her out again the next 2 lessons (end of season after that). If not this might again dissapoint my dd.

If I look at what she does, she is certainly the queen of the floor in her age group. E.g. only 1 girl of the a-group can sometimes to a back walkover, front walkovers out of the question, while my dd does them and make them seem as easy as walking. Bar and beam are at similar level to what the girls in the a-group do.

They are doing a club barbecue this weekend... Maybe I can get some more info there.
I get where you're coming from. But it does sound like they are trying to give your dd's a more differentiated approach. They obviously recognize she's beyond the other rec girls but aren't sure of where yo place her yet? I don't thin think it's fine to ask what's going on and why she keeps getting switched around.

I get where you're coming from. But it does sound like they are trying to give your dd's a more differentiated approach. They obviously recognize she's beyond the other rec girls but aren't sure of where to place her yet? I think it's fine to ask what's going on and why she keeps getting switched around. I have a shy little 7 year old and they did a lot of the same things when she first started way back. I never minded asking why they were separating her but it was always to evaluate her for the next level. I hope they get her settled where she needs to be soon!

Get used to the "lack of communication" thing if she's going to stay in gymnastics. Gymnast coaches who communicate well with parents seem to be few and far between. I suspect they're reluctant to involve you in the conversation about moving her up till they've 100% made up their mind about where they're moving her.

Get used to the "lack of communication" thing if she's going to stay in gymnastics. Gymnast coaches who communicate well with parents seem to be few and far between. I suspect they're reluctant to involve you in the conversation about moving her up till they've 100% made up their mind about where they're moving her.

This and it doesn't mean you shouldn't have a conversation.

We had a time when DD was afraid to ask. I had to give her ideas/ways to ask what she should be doing.

And this.

Thanks for the support and advice.
It actually helped a lot just to vent my concerns here.

The rec coach approached me during the gym event (no training this week) and told me she knows my dd is very shy and they will be more careful with her. She also told me she asked the team coaches not to shout at during the tryouts (though I have never seen a coach shout at anyone yet in this gym). This disproved my theory that there is no communication between rec and team coaches.
I don't know if they are still going to take her in tryouts, or what the big plan is. There is an information firewall towards parents of kids in the rec team. I understand why, and they will probably wait until they are 100% sure before they ask something.
Well, I will probably know in a few weeks. If not in the team, I think she will be fine and try again next year. After next year, the tumbling team also becomes a possibility to look forward to.

(small brag alert)
During the gym event, they had mats, trampolines and an airtrack set up outside. My dd is sometimes a real show-off. Again saw her do things I didn't know she could do, like holding a handstand 3-5 seconds, something that comes close to a pressing handstand and a front handspring on the airtrack... stuff that is way beyond what she's supposed to do.
A shy moment from that day: dd tells me she doesn't want to go on the airtrack anymore.. Why?.. "There are boys on there!" (yeah, two 8-9 year olds, but still greatly outnumbered by the girls still on the airtrack).

I think it's worth a phone call to ask what they are looking for and why they keep pulling your DD out for further evaluation. And maybe you can work some advocacy for your DD into the conversation. Not necessarily advocating for your DD to be put in the pre-team group but speaking about her shyness and how this may show itself in the gym. You should also let them know that your DD has expressed interest to you about being with the pre-team group. They may not see that in her. My DD was like yours and was a huge standout on the rec side. My DD is also shy and I can tell you it was a factor in her not getting a pre-team invite when the rest of her peer group did. I love my DD's gym and overall think they communicate pretty well with parents and gymnasts but I've noticed that they struggle some with the team kids who are more reserved/introverted. Fortunately, they have always been receptive to my input. My DD eventually got to JO but it almost didn't happen for her. I'm thankful that it did because this sport has been wonderful for her.

Just got a phone call from the team coach... (I'm currently having an information overdose)
She apologized for what happened and explained some details on what happened from their side. My dd will get another tryout the next week. She wants to evaluate her again in the new group. She is certainly considered for the a-group (or pre-team), but even team might be a possibility.

Just got a phone call from the team coach... (I'm currently having an information overdose)
She apologized for what happened and explained some details on what happened from their side. My dd will get another tryout the next week. She wants to evaluate her again in the new group. She is certainly considered for the a-group (or pre-team), but even team might be a possibility.
I'm glad they explained things and now you know what they are thinking. Now you can also prepare your daughter ahead of time, so she's not surprised when they evaluate her.

A small update. Dd did a tryout on the mixed team/preteam group. Team girls are all at least 2 years older. Pre-teamers are girls her age.
She loved it. She thought the girls would be mean, but it was actually the opposite. She seemed to interact even more with the girls compared to her rec group.

What she did was fine too. The warm-up was hard, but awesome: hard conditioning and they made her do some extreme stretches and poses that was only matched by one teammember. Floor was great too: she did the same exercises as the team (e.g. pre-team is not able to do walkkovers on their own). Beam was harder: here she was on a similar level as the pre-teamers (but certainly not the best). Considering she never trained on some moves in rec, I consider this good. They only had a short time on the bars, but here she also compares with pre-team.

The most important part is that she had fun. She asked to do it again next week.

The most important part is that she had fun. She asked to do it again next week.
And that is what it's all about. I'm glad she had a good experience. Sounds like pee-team was a good fit. I hope the gym places her where it's most appropriate for her.

A small update (and some new concerns/vent not directly related to the shyness of my dd).

Second tryout went fine. It's also the last session of the season (there is a camp week in the summer, but not directly related to the club activities).

There was also another rec kid asked to try in the pre-team during the class (again, by picking. this time a second grader), but I don't understand why they ask her to join during the last session, the kid doesn't even have the time to prove herself, and she was present in the last three sessions.

For the first time I noticed/experienced the "crazy gym parent" behaviour. DD trains with team & pre team, suddenly the pre team gym moms start talking to you instead of giving angry looks. Possibly looking for information (there is now a tiny possibility you know more than them).
HC invited everyone for a drink, and the pre-team moms were circling around to the HC like bees on a honeypot just to know in which group their dd's will train next season. No real answers were given. I was also curious, even if it was just to know at which locker room to drop off dd in september or if there will be any change in the hours: talked briefly to a team coach, and got no further than "she will probably train with us" (with "us" being unspecified if it is team or pre-team, and "probably" hinting rec is also possible).
I have a feeling why. The planning or intention is not always the same each year, and they don't know it themselves. Last years first-grade pre-team was almost completely send to rec. Two years ago, the complete first grade pre-team and 2 recs went send early to the entry-team.

If it wasn't for dd to like it that much, I would just keep her in rec.

Glad to hear tryouts went well. I know you aren't in the US and things are likely.very different. But, in the US it is common for team (and preteam) to train all summer, often at higher hours than during the school year. If your DD wants to move toward a competitive track, can you put her in a summer class so she can continue to work her skills?

Glad to hear tryouts went well. I know you aren't in the US and things are likely.very different. But, in the US it is common for team (and preteam) to train all summer, often at higher hours than during the school year. If your DD wants to move toward a competitive track, can you put her in a summer class so she can continue to work her skills?

The gym is closed during the summer, except for a summer camp organized by the town (1 week). DD will go to this summer camp (I had no choice... she really wanted to go).

just an update to this story:
first training of the season this weekend, and dd made it in the team, together with all the pre-teamers of last year and one other (older) rec kid.
I wasn't informed until today. (I think coaches expected I already knew)

The first hint was already this summer, where she was in the pre-team group during summercamp.

Anyway, she had a great time, and she is happy to be there (included the extra trainings)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back