WAG Sia - Chandelier floor routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My feeling is that in order for an artistic sport to progress, you have to have some people out there who are willing to push the envelope. .

You're right in that in order to progress people do need to push the envelope. I just don't think that incorporating these types of themes into children's floor routines would be "progressing" in the right direction :) I would hate to bring the controversy of the dance world into gymnastics. Many parents are rejecting the age-inappropriate themes and costumes associated with some dance studios. This has played out in my area with the exponential growth of the "family-friendly" dance studios that promise age appropriate costumes and content.

I cannot follow your argument that this floor routine stigmatizes the mentally ill. QUOTE]

This floor routine portrays the tired, old stereotype of a mentally ill person sitting in the corner rocking back and forth. It's similar to the way our pop culture stereotypes gay men as effeminate, or black men as violent. The music video is at least able to provide additional context that the floor routine is not.

Ummm- to me that floor routine was completely the opposite of someone sitting in a corner rocking back and forth. Again, I just really can't see that this 'stereotypes mentally ill people in the same way pop culture stereotypes gay people as effeminate'. I think the divided opinions on here vividly illustrate how art is something different to each person.:)

I was thinking of the appropriateness from a different angle--not whether an 11-year-old should be exposed to the theme of the dance, but whether an 11-year-old can really be capable of understanding and expressing the theme. It didn't look that way to me. The choreography didn't help. The flexed feet were overused and the whole thing was extremely repetitive. I couldn't stop thinking of the wind-up doll from the first act of The Nutcracker. The music and concept could work very well for a collegiate gymnast, though, with more thoughtful choreography.

I was thinking of the appropriateness from a different angle--not whether an 11-year-old should be exposed to the theme of the dance, but whether an 11-year-old can really be capable of understanding and expressing the theme. It didn't look that way to me. The choreography didn't help. The flexed feet were overused and the whole thing was extremely repetitive. I couldn't stop thinking of the wind-up doll from the first act of The Nutcracker. The music and concept could work very well for a collegiate gymnast, though, with more thoughtful choreography.
I personally do not think the 11-year old gymnast was trying to express the adult themes of the song or dance from the video...she was simply copying the choreography that went with a popular song. I am not a fan of copying in that manner, period, even though I love the video of this song and the dance choreography. To me it doesn't work in a floor routine, seemed awkward and denied the ability to be fluid (which I think it should be).

My question is more about how do you score that? Much of the dance is done with flexed feet, bent knees, and purposely off balance.

Oh WOW! I had never seen the video to "Chandelier" until this thread got going and piqued my interest.

What an incredibly moving music video it is…to me, it screamed of child abuse and possible mental illness. But again, it is ART, and the great thing about art is that it can be interpreted by the person viewing it!

As to the routine - gorgeous leaps, as others have said!

And…has anyone seen Monty Python's "Ministry of Silly Walks" ??? The move right before the last tumbling pass?? ANYONE??

I think there was too much choreography. Had there been just hints of the dance from the video, it would have been more tasteful and the integrity of a gymnastics routine would have been left in tacked. I felt the tumbling got lost in the choreography.

Ok, so I went to my kids. I showed them the routine. They already liked the song, but had never seen the video. My ODD thought the dancing was awful. My YDD actually laughed out loud at it (then immediately apologized for being mean). They both thought it was a weird and awkward choice for a floor routine. One of them loves, one hates, Lomecia Hall's style. They both love graceful routines and hip hop type modern music routines. They love mostly to see girls play to their strengths, like everyone does.

Then I decided to go all-in and watch the music video for the first time with them. ODD was upset by the theme and said she didn't think it was appropriate that the dancer was a child. My YDD found the video "creepy". We then had a discussion about the theme and my ODD said she didn't think a pop song's video was the place for that type of artistic expression. If anywhere, it "belonged on a stage". My YDD said the whole thing left her sad.

There you have the guttural reaction of 10&13 yo girls who happen to love gymnastics and dance.

My own observation was that the dancer in the video made all of the abrupt motions look fluid. Although the moves were copied, the dance didn't compare.

Edited to correct- 13 and 11 yo- we had a birthday a week ago!

I think the dance style makes for an interesting pop song video, but to me it looks a bit ugly and awkward in a gymnastics routine. I'm also not really a flexed feet fan. Having said that, I do like that they have tried something different from the usual floor routine, and it would be great to see more different and adventurous routines.

The dance in the video falls in the contemporary/modern genre of dance. It is interpretative and as such can seem awkward to the general population. The comparison made above between some dance steps in the routine and the "Ministry of Silly Steps" in the Monty Python movie is probably more canny than you think. Both could have come from the same origin. Martha Graham, one of the pioneers of modern dance created a step or dance routine which evolved from her observing how tigers/lions walk. There is a different thought process that goes into choreographing various dance forms. Adopting modern dance or an interpretative dance into a gymnastics routine will be met with mixed emotions, as is evident in this thread. It is artistic, true. But gymnastics I think is first a "graceful" sport and not a performing art. I personally appreciate and liked the dance in the video but not so much mixed in a gymnastics routine. Did the gymnast score well with this routine? I would think the judge would either love it or hate it.

I had never even heard the song or seen the video before this thread. Wow! I guess I'm too traditional for this type of routine. The gymnast did a great job and had gorgeous leaps, but it's just not my thing I guess. I'm also a bit put off that so much of the choreography was lifted from the video and, quite frankly, not performed as well. Like I said though, she's clearly very talented and deserves props for trying something new.

from what I could find, she scored 12.150 and came in 6th on floor, if I am reading the correct results. Please correct me if I am wrong, as my curiosity was killing me as to what she scored.

from what I could find, she scored 12.150 and came in 6th on floor, if I am reading the correct results. Please correct me if I am wrong, as my curiosity was killing me as to what she scored.

She scored 12.350 and was 2nd on floor and 1st all around.

I've tried to stay out until this calmed down a bit, but my tuppence worth:

I have a child with severe learning difficulties and challenging behaviour. He rocks and flaps and talks to himself. I have a father, who is suffering from dementia and has spent the last two years in a nursing home unable to feed himself or recognise anyone. My husband suffered a nervous breakdown shortly after our first child was born. He got the post natal depression and was overwhelmed with responsibility. I came home to find him rocking on the bed in tears (no-one 'real' knows about that bit).

I watched the routine and then I watched the original on youtube and at no point did I make any connection with the above or take any personal offence at all. It wasn't until someone said 'imagine what someone experiencing this must feel' (or words to that effect) that it occured to me I could be that person, but having that pointed out to me was actually more offensive in a way.

I loved the original video. I think it's disturbing and moving and beautifully performed. Part of the effect, for me, is that fact that the girl is confined inside and she bounces off the walls and talks to the walls and so on. I think that's lost on the open gym floor and that makes if less effective.
I also wasn't sure which bits were stumbles and off balance and which were supposed to look that way. She may have cleverly got away with a lot, or it may have all been deliberate!

I would be happy to see that in a theatre, if I have paid to see a contemporary dance performance. I'm not sure about the gym floor, I'm genuinely in two minds, but I don't have a problem with her trying something new.

I have nothing of real value to add that hasn't been said already, but I do need to express my gratitude. Because of this thread, I watched the actual video and have now had the song stuck in my head ALL DAY. Thanks, y'all. :)

On topic, awkward dance, blatantly copied, tumbling that didn't really fit into the chorey, and I think an NCAA gymnast could make a much better routine with this music.

She scored 12.350 and was 2nd on floor and 1st all around.

I've tried to stay out until this calmed down a bit, but my tuppence worth:

I have a child with severe learning difficulties and challenging behaviour. He rocks and flaps and talks to himself. I have a father, who is suffering from dementia and has spent the last two years in a nursing home unable to feed himself or recognise anyone. My husband suffered a nervous breakdown shortly after our first child was born. He got the post natal depression and was overwhelmed with responsibility. I came home to find him rocking on the bed in tears (no-one 'real' knows about that bit).

I watched the routine and then I watched the original on youtube and at no point did I make any connection with the above or take any personal offence at all. It wasn't until someone said 'imagine what someone experiencing this must feel' (or words to that effect) that it occured to me I could be that person, but having that pointed out to me was actually more offensive in a way.

I loved the original video. I think it's disturbing and moving and beautifully performed. Part of the effect, for me, is that fact that the girl is confined inside and she bounces off the walls and talks to the walls and so on. I think that's lost on the open gym floor and that makes if less effective.
I also wasn't sure which bits were stumbles and off balance and which were supposed to look that way. She may have cleverly got away with a lot, or it may have all been deliberate!

I would be happy to see that in a theatre, if I have paid to see a contemporary dance performance. I'm not sure about the gym floor, I'm genuinely in two minds, but I don't have a problem with her trying something new.
Thank you for the correction on the score, as I was so curious. I agree 100% with you as above, not that I have the same experiences, but I do have a number of close family members that suffer from mental illness and for me, you are spot on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back