Side Aerial HELP!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Vaasu

Gymnast
Hello everyone!!!

First forum post yeyyyy!!!!

Well I really need help with my side aerial. I have recorded myself in slow motion and it seems as though I keep putting my hands down and end up in a handstand. My gymnastics coach and acro coach have both told me I get enough height. I would really like some tips and help if you could, if needed I could link a video of me doing it in slow motion to get a better idea. I believe I'm having problems rotating (although I'm not sure).

Thank you!!! Any tips would be appreciated.

We could more if we saw the video.

The side aerial should not just be high, it also needs to be short, you don’t want a lot of length in the skill.

As you take off you need a powerful hurdle, push hard off your front leg to get height, but also kick hard off your back leg to generate rotation.

Make sure you are putting your chest down to your leg, you should be trying to almost undercut yourself.

We could more if we saw the video.

The side aerial should not just be high, it also needs to be short, you don’t want a lot of length in the skill.

As you take off you need a powerful hurdle, push hard off your front leg to get height, but also kick hard off your back leg to generate rotation.

Make sure you are putting your chest down to your leg, you should be trying to almost undercut yourself.

Here’s the video: http://www.videosprout.com/video?id=22cb1694-e239-4c4f-b8ea-7da24e57202f

Thank you so much for your quick reply! Hopefully the video helps a little.

I’ll try the chest tip tomorrow :D

Your aerial is very long. If you think about the physics, the further the second foot lands from the first foot, the more speed, power and flexibility you need to make it work.

In an ideal aerial, when you push off that block your first foot should almost kick the block again when you land.

When you take off hurdle up, try not to hurdle forward in any way, swing your arms and chest up. The. Very quickly take your chest down to your leg, push hard off your first leg and kick hard on your second leg.

The landing foot should go down right underneath your nose.

I did not realise that you were a guy. Side aerials are very hard for men, it takes flexibility in the side splits to get that leg right whee it should be. Males can do it, but the amount of power and lift they need to significantly more to get it around.

From the video, to be 100% honest, it does not look like yiu are close to the skill at all. It's not a matter of just not putting your hands down. I would head back into the gym and do more drills before continuing to attempt.

Your aerial is very long. If you think about the physics, the further the second foot lands from the first foot, the more speed, power and flexibility you need to make it work.

In an ideal aerial, when you push off that block your first foot should almost kick the block again when you land.

When you take off hurdle up, try not to hurdle forward in any way, swing your arms and chest up. The. Very quickly take your chest down to your leg, push hard off your first leg and kick hard on your second leg.

The landing foot should go down right underneath your nose.

I did not realise that you were a guy. Side aerials are very hard for men, it takes flexibility in the side splits to get that leg right whee it should be. Males can do it, but the amount of power and lift they need to significantly more to get it around.

From the video, to be 100% honest, it does not look like yiu are close to the skill at all. It's not a matter of just not putting your hands down. I would head back into the gym and do more drills before continuing to attempt.

Aghhh!! What drills would you recommend I keep working on? I have both of my side splits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back