Parents Silly question but I'm new and clueless

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mileyfiveandfabulous

Proud Parent
We are very new so I'm still learning the process of moving up. My DD started 3 months ago but as I posted before was put on the young pre-team off the bat because she came in with advanced tumbling skills. I talked to the person who runs the gym about where she thought my DD would be, if she thought shed be ready to compete next year and she said my daughter will be fast tracking and going into prob level 3 as soon as this competition season is over in Jan/Feb. My question is what is fast tracking? I'm really clueless. Haha. Total newbie. :oops:

"Fast tracking" is moving through the JO levels at an accelerated pace...although if you're daughter is just a Level 3, i would wonder what they are doing...if she's got "advanced tumbling skills"(which are defined as what?) , could she just start out as a 4 instead of pre team?

Like Bookworm, I read it to be that they are going to move her through faster than they normally do. Like maybe they normally start with level 2; but are bumping her to 3. Or maybe they will even have her do one level in fall and the next in spring.

But I'd guess that the reason for starting with level 3 is that even if a kid has "advanced tumbling skills", if they have never done other gymnastics, getting stuff like the kip might be a little tough. Although, you do have until next fall I'd guess...

How old is she? That can be another factor (too young and she can't compete level 4, too "old" and they want to get them going through faster if they show promise).

She has to do level 3 because she's too young to do level 4.

However, I assume your gym probably generally has an intermediary step between the preteam she's currently on, and level 3, and her coaches have determined she won't need additional time on preteam to prepare.

Yes I do think they have another preteam that practices a little more. Thanks..that makes sense now. As I understood it then, she is skipping that and going right to level 3 team training after this competition season is ending. Thanks!

Like Bookworm, I read it to be that they are going to move her through faster than they normally do. Like maybe they normally start with level 2; but are bumping her to 3. Or maybe they will even have her do one level in fall and the next in spring.

But I'd guess that the reason for starting with level 3 is that even if a kid has "advanced tumbling skills", if they have never done other gymnastics, getting stuff like the kip might be a little tough. Although, you do have until next fall I'd guess...

How old is she? That can be another factor (too young and she can't compete level 4, too "old" and they want to get them going through faster if they show promise).

She has to be level 3 because she is only 5 right now

"Fast tracking" is moving through the JO levels at an accelerated pace...although if you're daughter is just a Level 3, i would wonder what they are doing...if she's got "advanced tumbling skills"(which are defined as what?) , could she just start out as a 4 instead of pre team?
She is only 5 so, she can't be level 4. She is working on her back tuck right now. She has double bhs, fwo, bwo, BH step out etc.

It sounds like your young gymmie has a lot of talent. Where is she with the other events? Bars can be a bear for even some of the most talented gymnasts. Also, watch out as you move forward for signs that it's too much, too soon. Some girls are physically ready before they are emotionally ready. You'll know better than your coaches whether she's getting overwhelmed.

Pre team competes? Is that really necessary? If they were thinking of "fast tracking" her, I'd ask if she could just train with the 4s (knowing she won't compete) ....

Personally, I think jumping in and training with the 4's might be a bit much for a 5 yr old who's only been doing gymnastics a couple months. I have a 6 yr old daughter, almost 7, and I can't imagine having put her straight with the 4's, 2 yrs ago. They train a lot of hours, and the coach is fairly tough on them, and I would imagine vaulting over the table, and jumping to the high bar might be quite a daunting task for a 5 yr old that just barely started doing gymnastics. Not trying to be a kill-joy on the thread, but when I saw the videos you had on youtube the other day (when you posted her tumbling), it looked like she was just barely learning how to do a pull-over on the bar. I'd imagine, all the other skills need to catch up with the tumbling, before asking to toss her onto a lvl 4 team. Around here, level 3 is extremely competitive, routines and form have to be very very good to even stand a chance of placing at the meets, I'd think that would be plenty at her age. The girls at my daughters gym train 12 hrs a week for lvl 3. It sounds like the gym is really allowing her to move along quickly, so perhaps just trust in what they suggest for now. At our gym, pre-team still has a little fun involved (maybe a ribbon or sticker for learning a new skill, etc.) but by level 4, they are in pretty serious training. The last thing you want to do is push her TOO hard at age 5 and have her burn-out.

It sounds like your young gymmie has a lot of talent. Where is she with the other events? Bars can be a bear for even some of the most talented gymnasts. Also, watch out as you move forward for signs that it's too much, too soon. Some girls are physically ready before they are emotionally ready. You'll know better than your coaches whether she's getting overwhelmed.
She is doing well on the other apparatus es for being new. She has her pullover and back hip circles right now (she got it in a few weeks). They are working on front hip circle right now and she is very close. Beam she is still working out balance issues (falls off and wobbles sometimes)but can do basics and can land cartwheel.

Personally, I think jumping in and training with the 4's might be a bit much for a 5 yr old who's only been doing gymnastics a couple months. I have a 6 yr old daughter, almost 7, and I can't imagine having put her straight with the 4's, 2 yrs ago. They train a lot of hours, and the coach is fairly tough on them, and I would imagine vaulting over the table, and jumping to the high bar might be quite a daunting task for a 5 yr old that just barely started doing gymnastics. Not trying to be a kill-joy on the thread, but when I saw the videos you had on youtube the other day (when you posted her tumbling), it looked like she was just barely learning how to do a pull-over on the bar. I'd imagine, all the other skills need to catch up with the tumbling, before asking to toss her onto a lvl 4 team. Around here, level 3 is extremely competitive, routines and form have to be very very good to even stand a chance of placing at the meets, I'd think that would be plenty at her age. The girls at my daughters gym train 12 hrs a week for lvl 3. It sounds like the gym is really allowing her to move along quickly, so perhaps just trust in what they suggest for now. At our gym, pre-team still has a little fun involved (maybe a ribbon or sticker for learning a new skill, etc.) but by level 4, they are in pretty serious training. The last thing you want to do is push her TOO hard at age 5 and have her burn-out.

Yes, those videos are taped from when she just learned those skills. I am NOT wanting to push her onto a level she is not ready to. I'm trusting in the gym to tell me and guide me on where she should be especially since I'm new and dont know much about the process etc. I questioned them on their opinion that she should compete level 3 next comp season, asking if they think she would really be ready. They assured me yes. I'm definitely not wanting to push her ahead without her being ready. I'd be perfectly happy wherever she was as long as she continues to progress, that's all I care about :)

No preteam doesn't compete. They start competing once they get to level 3 team.

Sorry, I thought Level 3 was pre team, and to reference gymmommy123's post about Level 3s at her daughter's gym training 12 hours a week, I'm flabbergasted that it's that much at an entry level....I guess I'm just so out of the loop with compulsory training bc my girls have been out of that arena since 2008....

I think by fast tracking they just meant skipping pre-team and going straight onto team. Well, not completely skipping, since she is on pre-team right now, but not staying there for a year or two like everyone else does.
By what you describe, she should be perfectly fine to compete level 3 next season. Looking forward to reading about her progress. :)

Yes, around our neck of the woods, level 3 is taken pretty seriously. There are huge entries in the meets at that level, quite a few girls repeat level 3 as well, so some are 2nd year level 3's and are obviously, very well prepared. They have to memorize routines, and perform them nearly perfectly, something your dd may not have experience with yet? I'm certainly not saying she can't do it, I'm sure she'll be great, but I was a little surprised other posters would suggest you ask for her to go up to level 4. I think the level 4's go 14-16 hrs a week at my dd's gym.

You have to be 6 to compete level 3. She could do it next year if they say she is ready. My dd was also 'fast tracked' to 3- she skipped old level 2 so that she could compete new 3 this year. If your dd has solid skills she should do great. I think that if my dd was in old 2 last year and new 2 this year she would be bored. Just monitor her and make sure she is able to keep up when she starts. By that I mean both skill wise and socially, because she is likely to be mostly with older girls.

Sorry, I thought Level 3 was pre team, and to reference gymmommy123's post about Level 3s at her daughter's gym training 12 hours a week, I'm flabbergasted that it's that much at an entry level..

Level 3 is also very competitive around here. Especially this year since a lot of gyms kept their gymnasts at this level due to the routine changes. Level 3 is also the first year most gyms compete. My level 3 currently trains 16.5 hours. (Though 3 hrs are where she was invited to uptrain with the L4s).

I was also going to mention the age requirement (6yo for L3, 7yo for L4), but looks like @alsmom beat me to it. :)

Sorry, I thought Level 3 was pre team, and to reference gymmommy123's post about Level 3s at her daughter's gym training 12 hours a week, I'm flabbergasted that it's that much at an entry level....I guess I'm just so out of the loop with compulsory training bc my girls have been out of that arena since 2008....

remember, level 3 is the old level 4. I know a few gyms don't start competing till level 4/old level 5, but I think most start with level 3/old 4.

I was going to say what Quadqueen said. Don't forget that "level 3" is what was "level 4" before (and level 4 is old 5). At our gym level 3s go 10 hours per week, 4 goes 12.

To me it sounds like level 3 would likely be a great fit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back