Parents Silly question but I'm new and clueless

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I didn't read all the responses, but I think new level 4 is too much too fast, plus she is too young at 5. Honestly, my 6 year old started team this year and is a level one. She also did tumbling at a cheer gym and had a round off double back handspring and was also working on a back tuck prior to team last summer. And still started this season at new level one. Granted, her team goes to a bunch of meets even at level one, which doesn't seem like the norm from these forums. Anyways, our gym did not care that she had those "big" tumbling skills because they are hyper focused on basic form and want every thing pretty much perfect on all 4 events. Looking at various videos and talking more with her coaches, the form on her BHS is really pretty good for her age. They argue that there is a lot more to gymnastics than tumbling. I don't think that she can or should skip a bunch of levels just because she's got advanced tumbling skills. I saw your videos, and she looks GREAT for a 5 year old, but if she is JUST getting a back hip circle, that sounds kind of pushy to bump up to 4.

Now I would argue that my DD and some others on her team could have done new level 2, but I have settled down somewhat on this issue bc DD seems pretty happy after her first meet, and we have become aware that she has some hyper flexibility and could benefit from more form/strengthening work. Gymnastics is more complicated than I ever realized, and I think you are asking for burn out/injury if you move too fast at such a young age. With Jade the wunderkind being an exception. She apparently fast tracked to optionals by age 8 AND wrote her own book AND became a child actress. :p

Just be careful with moving too fast too young . I have a daughter who is getting ready to compete her first season as a level 9 at the young age of 11 . The pressure gets so intense and she is training with mostly teenagers. She skipped the class before preteam and I think in the long run it hurt her form , looking back I should have slowed things down when she was 5/6 years old . Those early years of teaching form are so important . If you ever see any signs of burnout . Slow down !! The levels only go up to 10 ! Lol Good luck with your young talented gymnast!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back