Single leg cut in level 4 bar routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am in level 4 and I had been working all last year to get my single leg shoot thru on the bar. One day I finally got it and way really excited. Then, we didn't practice them all summer because my coach wanted to focus on our skills for the next level (kips, squat ons). Then, when September came and we started working on routines again, I couldn't do my shoot thru for some reason. I remembered doing it before but I just couldn't make myself do it. Now I have been battling this for a long time and I just want it back. My team has our first meet on December 4 and my coach said we have to move me down to level three if I don't get it very soon. HELP! I know this is a very easy skill, but my brain won't let me do it. Please give your advice on how to stop the fear and get it back.

Try to have a nice high cast. It is important to keep your shoulders over the bar or you will fall backwards. When you cast bend only the leg you will shoot thru, push down on the bar and shoot your foot through.

Push down on the bar, shoulders over the bar. Others may have better advice but I hope this helps.

Have you tried doing it on a floor bar?

Start prone with your hips and hands on the bar, pop your hips up and shoot through.

Safe, simple, and you'll feel what you need to do on the higher bar.

You need to think about the skill, not what could happen. When you're doing a math problem, are you thinking about getting it right or wrong or are you thinking about how 2 1's make 2?

Stop worrying so much about the skill and start thinking about what you need to be doing.

Try it on the boy's pommel horse, you can practice the motion without the fear of falling off the bar. When you take it back to the bar, it should be easier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back