Parents Six weeks out almost over; six weeks until only state qualifier

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilbert

Proud Parent
My dd is a L9. She broke her 5th metatarsal in her left foot almost six weeks ago coming out of a twist on floor. She was in a cast for three weeks and the bone was healing very well at that point. She was then given a boot for three weeks. It comes off on Wed. DD has been going in for some conditioning and a bit of bar work these last six weeks, but it has not been very consistent. She has also spent a lot of time out of the boot with foot stretching. Anyway, the boot is off on Wed. and she will be allowed to start back slowly at the gym. She missed the first state qualifier and there is only one more that the gym is registered for, and that is 6 weeks after she can resume practice. Has anyone else who has a L8, 9 or 10 gymnast gone through this? If so, do you think six weeks is enough time to get back to competition let alone qualifying form? The skills are fairly high level and I am cautiously optimistic. I guess on some level it depends on the gymnast. DD is fairly strong, placed at L8 regionals last season and was looking great at the beginning of the L9 season, but then this happened. Thanks!

Deep breathes. She is not a new gymmie. A lot of what she does she has been doing for a long time. She just needs to qualify. Good luck to her.

I have no clue how this works but just wondering if the head coach would be able to send her to another state qualifier just in case. Positive thoughts you daughter's way.

That is really odd to have only 2 state qualifiers and so early in the season
Also, in our state, even out of state meet scores can be used to qualify, as there are no specific qualifiers. Just need to be sanctioned. I am on the mobile site which doesn't show country flags so maybe you are in Canada and have different seasons than the US?

The only way you can usually petition in is if she had already completed and received a qualifying score either last year or this year. She could try to compete and if she doesn't qualify, she may be able to petition back to level 8. Your coach would be the best reference for that.

As for the injury, if she has not been in the gym doing extensive conditioning on a daily basis to keep up her strength and flexibility, I would think it is going to be pretty hard to come back fully that quickly. It is good that she was able to bear weight on it quickly with the boot but she still will have lost some muscle and flexibility in it and that takes time to come back.

However, if she is determined and if she had those skills solidly before the injury, they should come back fairly quickly.

Will also depends on the score needed. If she is a solid L9 and confident, a score like a 32 should be fairly easy to obtain, even without much rehab time. A 35 would be more difficult with only 6 wks to regain the skills unless she is the type of gymnast who just flips it, no/little fears.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back