WAG skills discrepancy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'd hypothesize that the "bars" body type typically has less weight in the lower body and a center of gravity closer to the torso. That makes it easier to use the upper body in the ways that are needed on bars - e.g. lifting the hips above the head for a handstand, rotating the body quickly around the bar, using the strength of the upper body to propel other movements like releases.

I think you are on to something. My dd has a very strong upper body and a streamlined lower half, with shorter legs. She can really fly on those bars, and usually gets all of her bars skills for the next level before she has all floor and beam skills.

Her weight ratio especially makes front tumbling a challenge. She has always struggled with doing nice front walkovers and handsprings. It's lot of weight to get up and over.

Funny mine is small, quick twitch and fast as well and bars, beam and floor are her strong events. Vault has always been her all around killer due to her small size. I'm hoping that as she grows and gets more mass vault will come with age, but bars has always been one of her best events, so I'm not sure if the bigger size that she will get during puberty will "bog" down her bar speed and execution or not.

Funny mine is small, quick twitch and fast as well and bars, beam and floor are her strong events. Vault has always been her all around killer due to her small size. I'm hoping that as she grows and gets more mass vault will come with age, but bars has always been one of her best events, so I'm not sure if the bigger size that she will get during puberty will "bog" down her bar speed and execution or not.

At what level though... Bars used to be my daughter's best event in compulsory. 9/10 skills are a different animal it seems.

she was all the necessary skills for 10.0 start value on vault/beam/floor but will struggle to start at 9.5 on bars.

How did she do on bars in L9? What skills or combinations are holding her back? This might help in figuring out the issue. Yes it is common for one event to be weaker but usually within .2-.3 of each other. A 9.5 start value when everything else is a 10 sounds like a big discrepancy.

How did she do on bars in L9? What skills or combinations are holding her back? This might help in figuring out the issue. Yes it is common for one event to be weaker but usually within .2-.3 of each other. A 9.5 start value when everything else is a 10 sounds like a big discrepancy.

she was already weak in level 9 bars. her overshoots are all over the place/flailing body. toe-on to handstand very archy.

she was training tkachev this summer but was not successful (caught twice, nothing consistent). i think this season, they'll probably have her do giant-full, overshoot, toe-on handstand, toe-shoot to high bar. she does have an upgraded dismount.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back